Page 376 of 523 FirstFirst ... 276326366374375376377378386426476 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,760 of 5222

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 376

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    That is one of the things Nora G. talked about in her presentation. She had a patient with all sorts of troubles, and when she spoke frankly to her about her diet, the woman went ballistic, totally denying that diet had anything to do with her problems. You know, I loved bread and pasta as much as anyone...now I love other things more.

Went to see Hamlet with two friends. It was terrific. Loved it! I wish I could see it again.

Got a big bag of par-cooked organic root veg from a local farm. Turnips, carrots, rutabagas. I roasted them for awhile with spices, then made a sort of hash with chicken and poached an egg in it. Turned out very well to my surprise.

It was painful, but I discarded the beef broth. It just didn't taste good and it was not even slightly gelatinous. Perhaps I need a higher temp to extract the good stuff from those big beef bones? I will try it next time. And tonight I am putting some chicken bones in the crockpot.

Have got no exercise today or yesterday!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    I've done some beef and bison stock that was pretty meh for flavour. It got better once reduced and seasoned. But still sort of meh. Not sure why some batches turn out that way. I've been powering through my turkey broth, so time to throw in some beef bones in the pressure cooker this week. I do find that when I take the time to roast the bones first, it does taste nicer, but it only happens less than half the time for me.

It's funny, my chicken and turkey stock always turns out well. Don't know why the beef stock is meh. Maybe I should mix up the bones? I seriously think regular consumption of bone broth is the single best thing I have done or can continue to do for my health. I always think about roasting the bones, but does it get done? No.

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Slept well and woke up with a temp of 96.2 and a HR of 50. What's up with that? I need to stop taking my vitals, I'm borrowing trouble.

All the chores are done today and I am off to the pool, where hopefully I will have a nice swim and nothing weird will happen. I am working tonight and also hoping for no weirdness there either. Just not wanting any weirdness is my goal recently.

For breakfast had the last of my good bone broth, an egg yolk, and coconut oil. The new batch will be ready later today.

Woke up with a slight headache which is still with me.

Had a very nice pool session with no mishaps - no loud music, no weird people in the sauna. Water temp was good. I have nothing to complain about!

Despite all the dire warnings I heard about fruit last week in the Real Food Con, I bought some local concord grapes. Are they ever good! Eating them is quite an experience. 1) They have seeds 2) They are pulpy 3) They have thick skins 4) They stain like crazy. They aren't that sweet either, but have an intense grape taste. I'm pretty sure they're primal, even with fructose. Eating them is certainly a primal experience!

My head is spinning with everything I tried to stuff into it during the Real Food Con. Lots of contradictory stuff, which is actually good. We need to stay on our toes and not accept anything as dogma.

In contrast to my beef broth fail, my chicken broth turned out very well. Nice tasting right out of the crockpot, although I will reduce it when I actually use it. I can tell it is nice and gelatinous.
    Last edited by Siobhan; 10-28-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Worked last night, very busy but not in the usual way. Spent a lot of time talking to someone who was very anxious. I hate to sound all snarky and mean, but seriously that is not my job. I am not a counsellor and have no training at all. I can reassure someone, sure. And try to ease their fears about treatment and answer questions, stuff like that. But hours and hours of serious troubling thoughts pouring out? Totally not my thing. I'm not a psychologist and don't like pretending to be one.

Slept like the dead for three hours or so and woke up really hungry. Had some grass-fed ground beef with berbere spices and eggs, so delicious. Choir tonight.

I'm trying to put my food dollars into quality meats and I think the grass-fed ground beef I can get easily is a good choice. I really love it - honestly, I like spiced-up ground beef patties better than steak. I like the texture and the ease of preparation, not that steaks are hard to cook, but it is easy to have a few par-cooked patties around and simply finish them in my cast iron fry pan in two minutes, or a few minutes in the oven with some root veg. Really love spicy beef, they are can't miss 100% delicious all of the time. Steaks can be just so-so or they can be out of this world. I can get fairly reasonable local whole organic chickens at the food co-op, although that is a little harder - it is hit or miss and it is a bit of a drive.

I have a tiny cut on my left index finger, which is the one I use for ID to get meds out of the Pixxus. The screen magnifies the image as it is processing - it was very startling as it looked like something out of a horror show! I've been looking at my finger very differently since then -

tomi is offline Senior Member
    We just got our annual grass-fed beef -1/2 and this one is especially yummy! We've had one pack of ground beef and a sirloin steak and can't wait to have more! So happy when the $725 we spend is well worth it! Our freezer is full for another year!

Magnified cuts look nasty and scary for sure!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Choir went well last night. The high notes came easily! It is all coming together nicely and I am learning the music. Still have a month.

Got my car inspected today and since the car dealer is very conveniently located to lots of shops...I came home with a beautiful Staub pot. It was a very good deal and it will last the rest of my life and someone else's too.

Made the mistake of buying prepackaged honeycrisp apples. They are virtually tasteless. Won't do that again.

Can't believe it is almost November!

tomi is offline Senior Member
    This year has flown by hasn't it? Its very strange to be thinking about the holidays again - seems too soon!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation