Page 361 of 590 FirstFirst ... 261311351359360361362363371411461 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,610 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 361

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Gotta say I lurve my new battery op toothbrush. Eight dollars well spent.

Know how I know when I'm getting the food right? When I'm either not hungry or hungry but not really interested in eating. Like today! Must be the Magic Turkey Soup.

Lots of activity today. Possibly FitBit motivated, but definitely weather motivated. Went on a short hike and waded in the ocean. (Cold but not too.) Then swimming. Around 5:30 it was beautiful that I had to go for a walk. Couldn't make myself go back, stood gazing at the sailboats for a very long time. Finally walked back, talked to some neighbors. Then my FitBit buzzed! Goal of 10,000 steps met once again. I'll admit it is really fun when it buzzes and the lights flash.

Having a quiet but wonderful Saturday night. Listening to jazz (talked with the DJ for awhile as usual - I've been calling in for three years now and I feel we know each other), ate some soup, some sweet potato, and now thinking about wine. I rarely have wine anymore, I just don't have the desire. But tonight it is a Maybe!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Glad your having a great day off.
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Oh dear, I might be a little tipsy! Had a glass of wine and I'm not used to it any more! Whee! Okay, I'm cut off.

Had a good night. Talked on the phone with an old friend, committed to a book club and purchased a book for my Kindle (A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki), drank aforesaid wine. Jazz playing all the time. Also finished off turkey/veg stock. Funny how I don't use my slow cooker for weeks and then I use it constantly for days at a time.

Got to hit the sack early, church tomorrow. Haven't been for a while due to work! Greatly looking forward to it.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    That sounds like the perfect day.

I am greatly enjoying 'The Paleo Manifesto'. I bought it as an e-book, but I'm going to have to buy some paper copies to send to Eldest and Middlest. It is so full of good stuff, and written in such an engaging fashion.

Thanks for turning me on to it.

You are very welcome! I also bought the ebook and am probably going to purchase a paper copy. For one thing, I want to leave it lying around my office in the hopes that someone else will read it. Also, there are a few chapters I want to be able to refer to - the Moses chapter for one - and that is just not really possible with an ebook.

Must get ready for church. Slept like a log and still feeling a little loggy!

Well, it has begun. I know many people who read my journal also read Sabine's, and you know she has done the Snap Challenge. Taking inspiration and courage from her, I am doing the same. I was going to start next week, but when I was sitting in church this morning I realized there is no time like the present. And since I hadn't eaten yet I could easily start. After church I went to the Dollar Store, where I was surprised to find that most things cost more than a dollar.

Dollar Store buys:

Canned Green Beans
    Canned Peas
    2 cans tuna
    Coffee
    Kipper Snack
    Can of Corned Beef
    Can of Spam
    32 oz white rice

The total is $17.05

Just noticed the receipt has a coupon for 75 cents off two cans of veg. Hmmmm. I think that will be useful later this week.

Went to the regular grocery and bought 10 lbs. of potatoes for $5.29 and an iceberg lettuce (very large) for $1.69. Looked at prices for apples, banana, and avocado, since I have those already and I'm not going to waste them.

Spent $6.98 at grocery, and added in what I already have my total is $28.02! Yikes. I have only $2.48 cents left! And that is with cheating - I have not counted the tomatoes and beans from landlord's garden, which he said I could have before this started. I am looking at the food and thinking that by the end of the week I will only have rice and potatoes. And I'm still missing some really important items - milk for my coffee, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and butter. I could steal these from work, which is of course not allowed. And don't even start on the booch. Even at homemade prices there is simply no money left.

I have left all the food out on the table (except the lettuce of course) and I am wavering between thinking it is a fair amount and wondering if I am going to starve. The potatoes, of course, will save me. Ten lbs. is a lot of potatoes, and this is potato season. And the rice also goes a long way.

I was pretty hungry by the time I got home. Made rice, a lettuce and tomato salad (no dressing because I haven't figured that out yet) and half a can of kipper snacks. May I say it was really good? I haven't had rice in ages. I had avoided white rice because CW says no white rice (yeah yeah) and I don't like brown rice.

The thing that really shocked me is that things that I would normally have thought of as really unhealthy aren't so bad. Spam, for instance. Canned corned beef for another. Compared to the crap that is passed off as 'healthy' these days, that stuff looks like spa cuisine. Spam: Pork with Ham, Salt, Water, Modified Potato Starch, Sugar, Sodium Nitrite. Six ingredients. Gluten free. Sign me up. Compare that to a label on Snackwells. Or those weird chips that are everywhere and marketed as being healthy. Or cereal, which is truly frightening.

I could purchase fresh meat more cheaply except that my grocery will not - actually cannot - do custom packaging. You have to buy the packages they have. Even if a pound of ground beef is $1.89, I have to buy 3 lbs. That is a huge chunk of my budget. Come to think of it, it is still more expensive than this can of Spam. There are huge packages of chicken at $2.89 per lb., but I have to buy 2.5 to 3 lbs. at least. Can't do that on this type of budget. It's good for my normal middle-class budget, but not for poverty level or below.

Well, I have to call my mom and get some sleep - work tonight.

I salute you, Siobhan! Especially for just plunging in, as probably quite a few dependent on food stamps suddenly have to when they realize that, hey, there's no money for food! I had to plan and strategize before I started, and I'm still a little nervous that I might run out of food before the end of Tuesday. And that's with doing ADF, so I have three non-eating days in there! I'm having a little coleslaw snack right now, and I am making sure to get every last shred out of the bowl.

I'm interested in your choice of potatoes and rice over more meat. The base of my plan was 3 pounds of ground beef and a dozen eggs, and I made the other things work around that. Of course, that probably answers my volume fears, right there. I'll be following along to see how it might affect your hunger levels.

But...but...but...no booch?

Oh, and we have two kinds of 'dollar stores': ones where everything costs a dollar, and ones where they do NOT. There are really some good deals to be found, even of produce and dairy.

I am wavering between "I Can Do This!!!" and "What the Bloody H....!" I can purchase eggs 2 for 25 cents at work - legitimately - and I haven't factored that in yet. I have been planning on buying six.

This is making me look at food so differently!

Is it cheating to extend the challenge an additional day and get another $4.50 so I can buy my own booch? If I don't buy any more food? I'm going to do that. I'll have to calculate how much I should charge. Not much, frankly.

Two of my friends who have worked for the food bank for years (18!) have reminded me that people do have pantry items no matter how poor or out-of-work. In fact they remind them when they first appear at the food bank to check in those cupboards for the can of tuna, jar of peanut butter, etc. that is lurking in the corners. However, that does not affect my challenge of trying to eat properly on $4.50 a day.

I'm starting at 137 lbs. Wonder what I'll end at?

When I woke up I had the rest of the kipper snacks (16g protein in the whole can for the day) and rice wrapped in lettuce leaves. And an apple. Black coffee.

I will have a meal at some point during the night and that will be all until lunch tomorrow, after I wake up. One difficulty is that I am awake a lot when I am in my working cycle so I can't seek the solace of sleep with a rumbly belly.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The thing about poverty is that it is very expensive to be poor: cheap shoes (furniture, appliances etc) wear out faster than expensive ones and you have to wear them every day, hastening their demise; you cannot afford to buy in bulk; you cannot afford to spend a bit extra one week to get a good price on something; you cannot afford to stockpile (the space, the cash outlay) for when the price reduction comes to an end. You cannot afford the bus fare (or there is no public transport) to the cheaper shop, or to check three different places for the cheapest deal. Food poverty goes hand in hand with fuel poverty, at least in the UK, and almost certainly accommodation poverty. Renting is more expensive than buying in the long run. If you're renting, sometimes you have to leave furniture behind... If you're poor you cannot afford to run the oven to cook meals and might not have a slow cooker. If you are poor you might not have the money to run a freezer, or might not have access to a freezer. It's not just the money for food that we take for granted (actually, I don't, we have been through some very tough times) it's the - I can't think of a good term - inherent wealth of our set ups: a kitchen with energy-efficient appliances, secure storage space, a lack of damp... Have you heard of A Girl Called Jack? A UK-based perspective on what poverty and food insecurity means in practice. (Also really inspirational, as well as heartbreaking.)

Sorry, this is not to denigrate your experiment or the inherent difficulties of living on a strict food budget; it's just highlighting that by the time a person/family is reduced to benefits/welfare/food stamps or what have you, the problems are much larger and multifactoral than can't afford the best food. I'm sure you know this... *steps off soapbox*
    Last edited by badgergirl; 09-29-2013 at 07:43 PM.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.