Page 345 of 590 FirstFirst ... 245295335343344345346347355395445 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,450 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 345

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well, be careful what you wish for...noticed a lively stream running across the floor and traced it back to the original leak in the ceiling, which has progressed from a drip every 15 seconds to a full-on flood, running down the wall, across the baseboard, etc. The ceiling at this point is slanted, and so the water runs down the wall instead of just falling like a good little ceiling leak. Have mopped and dried and gerry-rigged a drip system. I taped a microfiber towel just below the drip to siphon the water so that it falls straight down into a basin. The first one fell off as I didn't anchor it properly, but this one is quadruple-taped. I hope it works. There was a poster hanging on the wall that got very wet but it may be okay. It is not just any poster, but a limited edition from the first and only half marathon I ever ran in San Diego many years ago. (1989?) Although I was looking at it just a few days ago and thinking I am not that attached to it, don't really enjoy it much anymore and wondered what I might do with it. Seems a shame to throw it on the rubbish heap as it is really quite nice and is very nicely framed and matted. I pulled off the wet backing and I think it will be okay. The question is - What is okay? What should I do with it? There is a very limited market for a poster like this, in fact the frame might be more appealing than the poster.

So far my drip system is working. Of course the microfiber towel will become heavier the more it absorbs, but hopefully I have it well-taped. No, I have not notified the landlord. For one thing, he can't do anything while the storm is still active. I seriously do not want him or anyone up here poking around and getting into stuff and since I have to work tonight, I would have to firmly show him the door in about 45 minutes anyway.

Did a teensy bit of stress eating. I had cooked up some pumpkin muffin things (just eggs, pumpkin, spices) to take to work. Thought it would be a nice side dish for turkey or chicken. But I ate one even though I'm not hungry. Pretty good! Definitely for a paleo/primal taste, as they are not sweet at all. We Americans expect our pumpkin to be sweet, which I understand is not the case in other parts of the world! A French friend of mine spit out her first taste of pumpkin pie - she thought something was wrong with it!

I wonder if I can get used to cranberry sauce without sugar in it?
    Last edited by Siobhan; 09-02-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Pedidoc is offline Senior Member
    Hoping rain stops soon!
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Cape Gooseberries are back! Or maybe you call them ground cherries. I just downed a pint of them. Mmmmmmmmm.

Left the house with some trepidation. I hope my drip fix holds, the basins don't overflow, and that no other place springs a leak. What a gigantic pain!

Slim Cat is eating very well since I started putting Party Mix on his food. I feel guilty about it - sort of like putting McDonald's french fries on your kid's scrambled eggs to get them to eat - but he is eating enthusiastically and even asking for food, which he never has done before. He needs serious feeding up. Animal or human (well, actually they are the same) when one is way too skinny with bones sticking out, just eating is important. Never mind nutrient dense yada yada. Now that I think of it, he isn't really getting that much Party Mix.

Feels really weird here at work. Just feels weird period. Strange end to summer, this big storm and feeling strange about personal relationships. Sometimes I wish I could take the cats and go live in a cave somewhere. (A non-leaky cave)

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Just checked out the Ray Peat thread in Nutrition. Very interesting stuff! He likes dairy and fruit!

Wonder what is going on at home...hope the leak isn't too bad...hope I don't come home to disaster...

ecks is offline Senior Member
    link?
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Thanks hun
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

campanella is offline Senior Member
    It's been a while since I've stopped by! Anyways, thought I'd add my 2 cents. I'd heard about Ray Peat a while back and basically over the summer have reduced the meat and fat and eaten a ton of fruit, sweet potatoes and potatoes, and 0% yogurt with fruit. There is a plus and a minus to everything I suppose. I never really felt content on a high fat diet because I simply love the taste of fruit and carbs, but I don't ever feel sated on a low fat diet and end up eating a ton of calories anyway. Some days I eat nothing but yogurt and fruit all day long and enjoy myself enough that it negates any negative effects the carbs might have. Though FWIW I simply look better on a higher carb, lower fat diet. I can keep my weight under control and still eat decent portions, and I just have healthier skin and hair.

Also, your comment about potentially checking out a new church caught my eye. I've always been with the Episcopal church and love it dearly. Most Episcopal services retain the integrity of the sacredness, but also reach out and include the congregation in a meaningful and connected manner.
    Most organists agree that the Episcopal church is the ultimate church for music. If you can find a place that still does Anglican chant you've hit a goldmine! even if not, I've always found Episcopal/anglican choirs to have a true vitality and sophistication.

You're actually branching out the same ways and time that I am- I've sung in the same Episcopal choir for 10 years, and never took the Catholic church seriously because of a few strong issues I have with their dogma- however I'm starting to see a side to it I never saw before- there is just so much reverence. People complain that the Catholic church puts distance between God and the people, which is true, but that distance doesn't have to be isolation- it can be reverence. Sometimes I feel like the grandeur and solemnity of a Catholic church is just what I need, and that even the festival atmosphere of the Episcopal church is not quite what I'm looking for as much as the quiet introspection and self-questioning in a serious atmosphere.
    (You are probably familiar with the hymn Picardy, the description of angels "veiling their faces to the presence" is what a traditional high Anglican or Catholic service reminds me of- the purpose is not to hide who you are, it's just a way to viscerally feel the power of the "presence!")

Long story short, I'm not ready to leave my childhood choir, but I am considering joining a Catholic choir for the Sunday evening service... More to experience faith a different way than anything, as the Episcopal church still has the best music in IMO.

A lot of articles out there recently on the influx of young people to "higher churches." Young Evangelicals Are Getting High THE CHRISTIAN PUNDIT
    Last edited by campanella; 09-03-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks for stopping by, campanella! What you say is so true, both about diet and about worship. I have wrestled with limiting fruit, as I have experienced good health, high energy and weight loss while eating a lot of fruit. I personally don't find that eating fruit leads to carb bingeing as some people do. In fact, I find the oppposite. Same with dairy. As long as the dairy isn't a pint of ice cream, that is! Also, I struggle with maintenance with my current diet because it is just so expensive! When I eat meat and veg, I have to eat a lot to feel satisfied, and I go through food like crazy. I want to limit meat to local grass fed for ethical and health reasons, but it is just not possible at my current rate of food consumption. Throwing in some more sweet potatoes, occasional white potatoes, a banana or two, will make a big difference in my budget and also in prep time, which is also kind of onerous. Although I love to cook, I feel I am currently a slave to the stove.

I'm going to make an appointment with the Anglican pastor and talk with her about what I would have to do, or what she thinks. The Anglican church in my little town is very new and very beautiful, a true holy place. Alas, they have no choir at all. The church in the town I work in, however, has a choir and a wonderful organ, as nice as the one we have in my UCC church. To me music is very important, it is a vital part of experiencing worship. So we will see what will happen.

Here I am at work again and hoping for the best, as I always do.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I bottled up some kombucha today, and will do the second jar tomorrow. I tried something different - instead of adding fruit, I added some raspberry herbal tea that I brewed very strong. It is fun to try new things. I am very pleased with the current batch, and I can report that the taste improves as the days go by. If only I had the willpower to leave it aging in the fridge for a week or so! But that won't happen, not unless I get a lot more gallon jars brewing up. (Which might happen...) I can also report the canning jars produce a superior product. The flavor is smoother and somehow more intense. Must be the shape as all other variables are accounted for. After collecting lots of old bottles, I will probably recycle them and get some more canning jars as they are very cheap right now since it is canning season. Also they are easier to store. And would like to note the strawberry puree worked beautifully, lovely flavor.

It was inevitable, it finally happened - I put my toothpaste on my pits! Yep. Of course there is not that much difference between the two. Pit stuff is just coconut oil and baking soda, while the toothpaste is coconut oil, baking soda, xylitol, calcium, and peppermint. The peppermint is the kicker! Provided a nice cooling sensation and smelled great. I was going to put lavender essential oil in my pit stuff, but maybe I will put peppermint in instead.

Watching a show called "Broadchurch" on Amazon. Those of you with cable TV might have already seen it, but I have no such animal. It is kind of hard to watch because it involves the murder of a child and I am very squeamish about such things, but I am really drawn into the story.