Page 340 of 590 FirstFirst ... 240290330338339340341342350390440 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,400 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 340

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Work is wicked busy, but I want to get down some details before I forget them.

Ex texted me on Monday: "Can you sleep in a tent?" After a bit of prodding, I figured out that Ex was asking if I wanted to go camping in Acadia National Park. Did I? Of course! He drove up, and off we went. I had maybe an hour to prepare, just threw stuff around. We got there and of course the reservation he thought he had was nonexistent. (That's Ex for you.) But they said we could come back at 6 PM and get an unclaimed handicapped spot. Which we did. We spent the afternoon hanging at a shady quiet picnic area, eating, reading, dozing, relaxing, walking around. Luckily we did land a handicapped spot, and got the tent up with a minimum of trouble, despite the fact that Ex did not have a hammer and the zipper broke. (He borrowed a hammer and we fixed the zipper.) I had cooked up a large amount of primal goods - egg/apple muffin cups, meatloaf, sausages. Watermelon, blueberries, apples. That was dinner. Ex was really, really tired and was asleep by 8:30. I read for a while by my trusty LLBean lanterns and then also went to sleep, slept like a rock with only one bathroom break. My sleeping cave pad (actually a camping pad) is fantastic.

The campground in Acadia is quite nice, very clean, very natural looking despite the hordes of people that pass through the park every year. There are, however, no showers! I didn't take a shower the morning we left because we were in a rush and Ex said there were showers...but there weren't. There were coin-op showers outside the park that we used the next day. Actually pretty nice co-op showers.

Back to the narrative - woke up and ate heartily of my primal goods. It is so cool to just eat freely and not worry about calories or fat or anything. I ate a lot of meat and quite a bit of fruit also as I knew the day would be very hot and very active. We drove around and found some great swimming places, however Ex was very, very keen to ride his recumbant bike up Cadillac mountain. I, as I have already said, walked up. 3.5 miles straight up! Took me an hour and 40 minutes with many rest stops. I will admit the last half hour was utterly grueling, very steep, very hot, and I didn't really know how much longer it was. It was hard not knowing how close (or far) I was. But then I was there! Found Ex right away, he of course beat me to the top by quite a bit. (We weren't racing, however.) Had some almonds and dark chocolate, not really because I was hungry but because I felt I should take in something. Lots of H2O also, of course! There were some Native Americans drumming and chanting on top of the mountain, and many, many people. Ex's recumbent always gets a lot of attention! I got no attention whatsoever for walking up. I was one of only two people the rangers knew of that walked the entire mountain that day. It was a fantastic feeling to be able to do it, very empowering. I can't be too horrible of a physical specimen if I can do that. I was joking that I got in my moving slowly as well as my lifting heavy things because my feet felt really darn heavy at the end!

I insisted on swimming after that. Ex was not keen to swim and wanted to do something else, but I insisted. The mountain climbing was his idea! So I got to choose an activity also. I swam in the ocean, so wonderful. Pretty cold but felt so good on my tired hot muscles. I swam around easily for a while and was very, very relaxed. Also very soothing to sunburn, mosquito bites, and potential muscle soreness. Then we grabbed some steaks and some veg from the grocery, stoked up a wood fire and cooked away. So delicious! The fire was very smoky and I think that is what made it all taste so good. The food was pretty much bathed in smoke. Then we went to a program the rangers put on, all about art inspired by Acadia. Really excellent! I was so tired after this, I climbed into the tent and logged off almost immediately. Once again slept through the night with just one quick bathroom trip. We had to leave in the morning as we both had obligations. Really nice drive home, though. Lovely primal breakfast, eggs scrambled in butter, ham, and coffee with butter. Lots of butter. Beautiful scenery. Stopped at an alpaca farm.

Everything was so primal it was ridiculous! Sleeping outside under the stars, just the screen roof of the tent. Eating totally primal and clean. It is so cool to be able to eat a hearty meal, get satisfied but not uncomfortable, and then be able to go all day without looking for a meal. Not getting shaky or cranky. (I could tell you some stories about myself, let me tell you.)

All in all a wonderful mini vacation. I live only about 2 1/2 hours from the paradise that is Acadia National Park. I can't wait to go back.
    Last edited by Siobhan; 08-23-2013 at 02:33 AM.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    What an incredible weekend. All that outdoor experience sounds so good for body and soul, you will live on the memories for ages and be so glad you wrote down all these details before you forget. You are rightly proud of your achievement climbing that mountain! Way to go.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like a fantastic trip. I went to Acadia while in college on a trip to learn to rock-climb. We repelled down Otter Cliffs and then climbed back up. It was wonderful. I'm so jealous!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

Otter Cliffs! Such a beautiful place! I swam there.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Kimmy is offline Junior Member
    Hi again, glad you had a wonderful mini vacation. Sometimes short breaks allow us to refocus and refresh more fully than a week long planned event - just getting out of the daily doldrums and being in nature always refreshes me. Just think how far you have come. Climbing that mountain....what a huge accomplishment. Who knows what you may do next? Primal=power! Have a great weekend!!

Emofedom is offline Senior Member
    Went to the net to see where you all were talking about. Amazing! Beautiful just beautiful! Glad you had fun.

Em
    "Adapt and Overcome"

Been very busy at work and so haven't posted the last couple of days (not much anyway). Not much to say! Been eating as clean as possible and looking forward to having a couple of nights off and maybe getting to the pool and doing some hiking. Still thinking about Acadia ALL of the time!

Pedidoc is offline Senior Member
    I can understand the busy part......
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

You give a new meaning to the word 'busy.' I'm just regular busy!

Well. I am unhappy today. I have felt that my weight has been creeping up lately, and had thought that I was making some positive changes, i.e. no alcohol (for me that is wine), being really, really vigilant about sugar, lots of green veg. Also have been getting a fair amount of exercise, although I am not swimming regularly yet, only once or twice a week. (I did walk up a mountain, though.) This afternoon when I woke up the scale said 140. That is a number I have not seen for a year and it was most unwelcome! Although my scale is not the best, I know that I have in fact gained. The waistband of my favorite summer capris is a little snug, and I feel that nasty muffin-top thing happening. I really must nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand! Must think hard about what changes to make, because honestly my diet is pretty clean. Obviously I am taking in too much food, even if it is good food.

My microwave oven appears to have bitten the dust. Stuff just isn't getting hot anymore!

Finished three grueling nights at work and slept very well. Did not get up after three hours as I try to do when going into off days - was just so tired and after getting up briefly I went back to bed and slept for two more hours. Am feeling the need to do something social, but I'm not sure what I can cook up this afternoon/evening. Perhaps just a phone call with an old friend in California will do the trick.

Perfect weather today, I must get out for a walk!
    Last edited by Siobhan; 08-25-2013 at 12:45 PM.