Page 322 of 590 FirstFirst ... 222272312320321322323324332372422 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,220 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 322

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Wow Judy, you are totally my life coach now! The lemon juice/pepper/honey thing cured me. I'm serious. My throat is better, just a tiny whisper of discomfort. I sang all through choir with no problem and let me tell you, those high notes were easy. Nothing like a shot of cayenne to clear the head voice! The weird thing is that I really do like it...I made up a batch to sip during rehearsal and it was so good. I added some hard cider to the mix, basically because I didn't have anything else. I've also had a boatload of bone broth with turmeric added. Garlic too!

I'm having my wellness check tomorrow morning. I hope all the honey doesn't throw off my cholesterol numbers. I'm sure it will be fine. Really interested in the results, but I won't get them for a couple of weeks.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Got the wellness thing done and over with. BP was 100/60! I am sure my numbers are all stellar, which is a relief. One less thing to worry about. I can qualify for cheaper insurance, plus the company gives me $500 that I can use towards my deductible or for any medically related thing, like glasses or dental work. The good thing is the money doesn't have to be used up but can carry forward indefinitely, so I can stockpile some funds to meet all my medical costs even if something catastrophic happened.

Good news! The poetry workshop that I couldn't attend because I was working has been moved and so now I am free. Very happy about this. Must get writing. I was looking over my old work. I haven't written any poems in a year, not since I moved. The sad thing is that I don't remember which poems I have used in previous workshops. Maybe should start fresh.

And most importantly - my sore throat is completely gone! Completely! How is that for good?

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    That's great about your sore throat and the Cayenne drink!! I'll have to remember it the next time my throat is sore.

I hear you on the writing! I've got to get painting again... This Spring and Summer has all been about getting fit and I haven't really done much else. I'm a bit concerned that once I hit my stride fitness-wise and should I turn my focus to Artwork that I will all bad eating habits to creep back insidiously. I've been here before, thinking my fitness level was self sustaining and then proving that it wasn't.

I'll have to figure out how I can get back to painting enough to satisfy my creative urges without falling into it entirely to the detriment of my health and fitness.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

The cayenne drink is one for the books - I definitely recommend it. Even without the miracle cure, it alleviated the pain almost immediately. Way better for you than OTC cold medicine. BTW, it's capsaicin you're after, so any red chile is okay, ancho, etc.

I got out a poem that I have been messing with literally for years, thinking I could make something of it, and I think I have! I almost can't believe it, but I like it a lot. I am probably going to need two poems for the workshop if past experience is any guide.

Finding time is always hard, but that's pretty much what you have to do, IMHO. Something else has to be cut. Computer time, movie time, TV time. If you can find some just plain wasted time - I have loads of that! It's hard to be a renaissance woman. For one thing, I stopped swimming for the summer and didn't replace it with a healthy or fun or constructive activity as I should have. Just piddled the time away! Another thing is, for me at least, is that I have to do things consistently and often in order to maintain a certain proficiency, whether it is singing or writing or wherever my poor gifts lead me. I used to paint, but I had to paint ALL OF THE TIME in order to be any good at it. I couldn't just pick it up whenever. It had to be somewhat consuming. And that just didn't work as just a hobby, which was all it was ever going to be.

I don't think I was keeping this journal when I was writing a lot of poems and even publishing them. It is something that has gone by the wayside, and I need to get back into it. For one thing, it is a great hobby, doesn't take much time and can be done almost anywhere. I also don't seem to need a lot of time, just focus.

And a victory to report. My big heavy kitchen door that came off its hinges during the heat wave - I have fixed it by myself! No landlord necessary! Feeling very tall!

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Painting is like that for me too. I don't need to do it all of the time, but I do need large blocks of time, preferably during daylight hours (though they now make pretty good color corrected lamps that don't cost a young fortune, allowing me to paint at night).

While painting I spend a lot of time wasting time, walking around, looking at what I am working on and working with and then there's a flurry of activity and poof! eight hours is gone in a flash. It's weird, but the time just disappears!

My working style doesn't lend itself to an hour here and an hour there. Since I don't really have big blocks of time available to me, I've limited myself to drawing classes, one night a week, but have suspended that now that I am spending three hours a week training. It's a deal I struck with SWMBO, who gets grumpy if I spend too much time away or unavailable for co-parenting.

Among the many reasons for getting into shape is to avoid (so much as possible) an early death that would rob me of the opportunity to have time to paint, do theater, whatever upon retirement.

Congrats on the poem. It's wonderful to produce something you are happy with, even if you acknowledge that it isn't "finished."

Good work with the door too!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

That is so true - wanting to be healthy and enjoy our later years. I see so much disability. Mark's post yesterday was timely, about being in the best shape of his life at 60. Not professional athlete shape, but able to do everything he wants to do, and feel good about the way he looks and feels as well.

Last winter I went to a woodblock painting workshop and literally got asked to leave - nicely - because I just couldn't stop working on my tiny picture. I was having so much fun, but I had been there two hours! Finally the teacher told me I was done, mounted the pic and sent me on my way. It was funny and reminded me of why I put away my paints! I'm also really good at wasting time. Picking out a different pen...different paper...moving from chair to table to sofa...different pen once again...

Went for an hour long walk and didn't realize how hot it was getting. Was very thirsty when I got home. Couldn't believe how good the place smelled when I came in, forgot about the pork butt getting magicked into carnitas in the slow cooker. Set up the A/C in the living room because it is heating up and I have to get ahead of it. I have eaten all of the slow cooker meat I had made before. Funny how it seems like I have a truckload and then it is gone - poof! The beef in the veg sauce made a truly good soup with bone broth added. Very rich and complex flavor, satisfying.

I'm ridiculously happy about the door. That was hanging over my head. I hate telling my landlord that any repair is needed. He generally blames me for problems, although I don't think he really means what he says, or understands that maybe he isn't being very nice. For instance, when I first moved in, the toilet had been removed to put in a new floor. It was leaking, and I made sure it was leaking - I dried the puddle and observed the resulting wetness. I knew it was a simple repair - probably just needed some bolts tightened - but I know how these things go. Screws are easy to strip, and I figured that since the plumbers had just been in and been well paid, it would be prudent to get them back in to do it properly. And that was all it was - the plumber came back, tightened the bolts and voila. He was really nice about it and apologized for not checking they were right, didn't treat me like an imbecile because I didn't just do it myself. He also mentioned that it could have easily been the gasket and he was relieved. Anyway, the landlord has mentioned a couple of times how I had the plumber in when "it was probably just condensation." Uh, no, it wasn't. And it didn't cost anything. Also, I don't particularly want him in here, and the cats won't like it either. Okay, enough about that. Must let it go! But he is really a nice man, and I could do very, very much worse.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I keep disliking that man more and more LOL.
    So glad your throat is better.
    I think poet suits you.

Thank you, Judy! What would I do without the friends I have here? Oddly enough, I feel like you understand me better than the people who know me in real life.

My slow cooker carnitas are finished and have been awarded a solid 'meh.' Boring. They are just okay. Really have to work on this recipe as the oven made carnitas are far superior. I think I cooked them too long and too slow - all the flavor cooked out of them and they are bland and mushy. I ended up with a great deal of watery broth while the oven cooked batches have no broth at all. That is a significant fact. I think a shorter cooking time on high will work better. The carnitas I have made in the oven over the last few months have been knee-weakening, heart-stoppingly delicious. So the bar is pretty high.

On the other hand, the beef I made in the slow cooker was spectacular, much better than oven cooked. A puzzle to figure out.

It is hard for me as a renter as I have been a home owner and a general all around responsible person for most of my adult life. I have obtained mortgages on my own and owned property by myself. I have also been a landlady. My perspective is different, and unique. I would prefer to have total control over the place where I live but that is just not possible since I don't own it. On one hand, I have a great deal and on the other I am at the mercy of the property owner. Kind of a weird situation that has existed since we entered the agricultural age. Grrrrr. Yes David, I know you are a landlord in a similar situation to mine and I am sure you are superior at the task! My own landlord is a retired military surgeon. Nuff said. But he is a member of my church, and a devout Christian, which gives him a moral foundation that I can count on. And that goes both ways. I pride myself on living a moral life and my actions are guided by moral principles. Basically, I am not an 'asshole,' please excuse the vulgarity. My mom was astounded and distressed last winter, when I had to repeatedly shovel the very long driveway to get to and from work. She just couldn't deal with the fact that he knew I had to get to work, and home again, and didn't do anything to help me do that. I struggled with that myself. But I can't obsess over that stuff. Much as I would like to live somewhere that people actually cared on a practical basis and not just as lip service, I don't know of a place like that.

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    I've also found that the carnitas in the slow cooker are inferior to the oven. Yet I still had a good bit of liquid in the oven ones, until I shredded the lot and put it back in the oven to crisp. I also crisped the slow cooker stuff after cooking, but the flavour was less intense. Still good, just less good.

Your landlord is a piece of work, for sure. I haven't rented since we bought our first home in 1994, and have trouble thinking about going back and having to rely on going to someone else rather than having handyman hubby get it done. I'd suggest with further troubles, just be assertive and see what happens. At worst, nothing will change. At best, you might get some positive surprising results. Just a thought.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    My own landlord is ...devout Christian... My mom was astounded and distressed last winter, when I had to repeatedly shovel the very long driveway to get to and from work. She just couldn't deal with the fact that he knew I had to get to work, and home again, and didn't do anything to help me do that....
    I know Christians can be oblivious as others, but this example of disconnect in one paragraph was too funny. Maybe his definition of 'do unto others' views shovelling snow as a great workout, and something not to be missed or shared!

Reading about your carnitas is making my mouth water this morning. I had an excellent meat score this week. last week I saw two beautiful leg of lamb roasts in the meat display at my grocers. I longed for them, but they were out of my price range. If only they would get marked down. I looked at them every time I went by. Yesterday morning, as I was picking up sale steaks for a lunchtime visit to a friend, what do I spy, but my lamb roasts, marked 50% off! I snatched them up and hustled them into the freezer. We will have one before Middlest goes off to college(she LOVES lamb, with a deep and abiding passion) and the other while my mother-in-law is here.

The only type of poetry I engage in is haiku. I love it.