Page 318 of 511 FirstFirst ... 218268308316317318319320328368418 ... LastLast
Results 3,171 to 3,180 of 5102

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 318

Siobhan is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hehehheh don't worry, I haven't gone off the deep end with kombucha and booze. Although it is probably the best mixer, primal/paleo or anything-wise. I've been looking at kombucha starters and I need to get moving on that - the proportion of my grocery bill that goes to kombucha is ridiculous. Either that or I need to get a job in a kombucha factory.

Slept great in my cave. Love me my new mattress. And when I woke up this morning, it was cold. Yes, actually cold! I was so happy. It is supposed to get hot though.

Well, gotta go put the pork butt in the slow cooker -
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    My dogs LOVE bone broth. They lap it up first, in preference to any meat on the dish.

I've been growing my own SCOBY from the dregs of two bottles of raw kombucha. (I got the instructions from culturesforhealth DOT com.) It seems to be working fine. After a week, it is a little over 1/8" thick. I'm looking forward to trying it out in a week or two. I'm getting quite the kombucha habit, so the cost savings will be appreciable!

Luckily, I'm not much of a drinker, so kombucha as a mixer doesn't tempt me. Although, I would imagine it looks pretty cute with an umbrella.

Must try that! Thanks for the tip. I have plentiful sources of raw kombucha. Just have to find a gallon sized glass container. Been looking at the thrift shop, that's a long shot.

Got up around seven this AM and have been doing chores. This was not unpleasant, in fact it was quite nice to putter around and get some things done before starting my work cycle - 4 nights in a row, 2 off, then 2 on. I have a lot of food and will have even more when the pork is done. Very happy about this. I started to feel a little odd, out of sorts and a shaky. My hands were shaking when I did the dishes. It scared me at first, then I realized I was experiencing something I haven't had in a long time - low blood sugar. No, I did not stick my finger and test my blood, but I am sure that is what it was. I used to feel like that all of the time but now, although I certainly get hungry, I don't experience those unpleasant symptoms. I cooked up a bowl of leftover steak in bone broth topped with lots of scallions and parsley. My favorite breakfast! Felt better almost immediately. Not many carbs in that meal, but obviously enough. I think I also know what triggered it. I hadn't eaten for some time, having finished eating around 6 PM last night, so it had been about 15 hours. I had two cups of tea with milk. Quite a bit of milk in total between the two cups. I think the sugars/carbs in the milk was enough to trigger an insulin surge, but not enough carbs to provide blood sugar. A slight imbalance. I just don't like cream in tea. I need to keep the milk to a splash, which doesn't cause any problem. I have been getting more and more heavy-handed with it, however. Of course this is all conjecture. I know just enough to get myself into trouble, thinking-wise!

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Sweet kitty moment here! (Sorry - have to share) All three cats are sleeping on the bed in those charming cat positions, two of them with a paw over their faces, the third one curled up with the top of his head down. They look so sweet! Of course they aren't, they are cold-blooded killers, perfect predators, obligate carnivores. But looks can be deceiving!

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    ...they are cold-blooded killers, perfect predators, obligate carnivores. But looks can be deceiving!
    Hmmm. On reading this I'm disturbingly reminded of the way pets resemble their owners, and vice versa!

JudyCr is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Sweet kitty moment here! (Sorry - have to share) All three cats are sleeping on the bed in those charming cat positions, two of them with a paw over their faces, the third one curled up with the top of his head down. They look so sweet! Of course they aren't, they are cold-blooded killers, perfect predators, obligate carnivores. But looks can be deceiving!
    Oh, how I wish my cats got along. I don't understand why they hate each other so much.

When I go back and forth from ATL to beach house, they are in carriers, separate sides of back of SUV. They can't see other, I make sure of that. Dogs are sweetly asleep in backseat, never even look out the window for 4 hrs. Cats will start up growling immediately, I tell them, hush or I'll turn this car around right now. They do stop, thankfully, after about 5 minutes of topping each other with loud growling, then they sleep peacefully, I think riding makes all of them sleep soundly, especially freeway riding, no stops.

House kitty never goes out at the beach, outside kitty loves and lives on the screened porch down there, and likes to walk on the beach at nighttime with dogs and me when no one else is out there.

On kombucha: I have batches at both places. It only gets better. We mix it with green tea, leaves from stevia plant, org lemons, OMG it's so fabulous and truly addictive.

Cats are weird. Who knows why they do what they do? I hear lots of experts, but my felines have always managed to defy categorization and analysis.

KOMBUCHA! Nature's perfect beverage!

Actually I should not be so glib in my answer about the cats. It is possible they are both alphas. If so, they will never be friends or do well together. Also, it does not matter if they are male or female, either can be an alpha. Alphas will only get along with cats that will be submissive to them, pretty much never another alphas. None of my three are alphas, although none are submissive either. They are all good at standing up for themselves and staking out their favorite spots, etc. Also, alpha cats are often very friendly with people, dogs, kids, etc. Very outgoing. Just not with other cats. Of course we're talking about cats here, so take all of this with a grain of salt because cats do whatever they want and don't fit into our little boxes.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, and you've answered, but what is kombucha? I looked it up and it says fermented tea... How does one get the yeast or starter?
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

JudyCr is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by DCarr10760 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, and you've answered, but what is kombucha? I looked it up and it says fermented tea... How does one get the yeast or starter?
    I ordered mine from amazon
    Amazon.com: Goldfinch Kombucha Scoby: Health & Personal Care