Page 317 of 590 FirstFirst ... 217267307315316317318319327367417 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,170 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 317

Coll is offline Senior Member
    So glad to hear that your cats are better! I love my slow cooker but it has been rather neglected of late. I need to get some broth going again ... and chuck roasts do come out really well in them too. Good on you for getting going on your exercise again - sounds awesome!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I was feeling quite horrible about my poor kitties. I take my responsibilities towards other living creatures very seriously. They are dependent on me and can't just decide to go somewhere else. Today is better, all of them ate normally and other things seem to be normal also.

Love the slow cooker! I think I got just the right one. It is nice to look at, stainless steel and black, has an oval shape that is easy to handle, perfect size for me, not too big, not too small. Very simple to set, and it changes to warm for 8 hours at the end of the cooking time.

Just had a thought - I wonder if I could get the cats to eat bone broth? That would be so good for them. I'm going to try putting some on their food.

Slept very nicely in my cave. Back is all better. It is beastly humid but not hot, although the heat is supposed to build up again. I am going to start my work cycle tomorrow and I am greatly relieved to have the A/C! I will be able to sleep and the white noise it provides will block the horrid woodchipper.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

One thing I have learned on this journey is something so obvious that I wonder it didn't hit me in the face long ago. The simple fact that what I eat each day will have a big effect on how I feel the next day. If I feel good, even-tempered, clear-minded, energetic, and not hungry, this is a result of eating clean the day before. For instance, last night I had two chicken drumsticks for a light supper at about 7 PM. This morning I feel all those things that I mentioned. I wouldn't feel this way if I had eaten two chocolate bars and drunk half a bottle of wine. Well, duh.

A while back I announced I was going much more towards paleo, i.e. cutting way, way back on dairy, alcohol, and sugar. More veg and more fruit. This is going very well. Dairy has been reduced to a splash of whole milk in my tea in the morning and occasional butter for cooking. My usual chocolate has been banished and now I have a square of Green and Black's 85% every other day or so. I'm not an ascetic - I had some ice cream a few days ago and enjoyed it thoroughly after making sure it didn't contain gluten - read those labels! Hint: Talenti's gelato is free of such things, and Haagen-Daas is also pretty clean, no HFCS, etc. Stay away from Ben and Jerry's. It's full of crap.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Just had a breakfast of yesterday's chuck roast and sauce with an egg cooked in it. It did that magic melding thing and transformed from a really good beef roast into something sublime. So delicious and very, very filling. Also finished the raspberries before they get moldy. You know how berries are.

I have a huge amount of stock from the overnight adventure in the new crock pot. I don't know if it my imagination but it is infinitely superior to my previous stocks, which were pretty good but not great. Maybe you just need a lot of room to make good stock. I skimmed off the fat from the top along with some broth of course for the kitties. This stock is good enough to just drink of its own. Also it has a beautiful golden color. I always put the onion skins in it, which provides nice color, but this is particularly nice. Anyway, I can see now how I can use this pot to always have good protein choices available. It will be very easy to pick up veg and meat and just put it all in the slow cooker. I can get fancy and brown stuff, or roast it, but really I can just throw it all in. A good thing is that I didn't get a lot of aroma. I say this is good because I have found it very difficult to sleep with luscious aromas drifting about. This probably isn't a problem in a larger home, but I'm in a really small space here. This cooker is sealed up much better. I would like to think that all that aroma is now getting transferred to the food!

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    I've done pork shoulders for pulled pork in the crock pot and it came out great! Probably not a substitute for long slow smoking, but not at all bad either!

Enjoy!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

When I polish off my current batch of beef and chicken I will do a pork shoulder. I'm sure it will be great!

I'm going to a film this afternoon and visit the indie bookstore in the next town. Will take my Kindle Fire and hang out in the coffee shop like all the hipsters.

You know how I've been on here a lot? I've totally messed up my right hand. It is so sore! I need a computer break.

Movie was just okay. I fell asleep a couple of times.

The beef is going fast. It is so good.

I have some bad news to report. Kombucha makes a fine mixer. For anything. Hard cider, gin, Drambuie, vodka, tequila. I don't have all of those liquors, but I can tell you they are good. You probably don't need to know this.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Haha, I won't ask just how you found out kombucha is a good mixer. I just might have discovered the same think at one point, with a berry flavoured one and vodka...

Happy to hear you're enjoying the slow cooker. They really are great to have around.

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Love a pork butt with garlic, paprika, chilie, salt, and pepper in the slow cooker.....
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So - its nice to know Kombucha is a good alternative to coke or diet coke.......... one day that will come in handy. but not this day.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation