Page 311 of 590 FirstFirst ... 211261301309310311312313321361411 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,110 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 311

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    OMG there is cool air blowing...the temp is dropping like a stone...I can't effing BELIEVE it...think I might cry. Naw, I'm going to take a shower instead because the effort of bringing it upstairs and wrestling with the vent hose has me looking like I jumped in a swimming pool, except a lot stickier.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Hooray for sweet, cool relief

I'm kind of surprised at my reaction, which is basically that I want to cry. The heat has been such a stressor. I didn't realize it until I had the means of escape. I feel like I have been let out of jail. Also, perhaps oddly, I started the washing machine right away. It has been impossible to do laundry because having the dryer on is unthinkable. Another relief.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    I started my journal and went primal within a couple of days - I thought the journal would help me, and I was right. I have found such good friends here, and great advice. I began Easter day, 2012. It was at the beginning of April. I have lost 40 lbs, and it happened fairly quickly. I would have to look back, but I believe I lost around 25 within three months, plateaued for awhile, and then lost another 15 by the fall. Eliminating grains from my diet is the best I have ever done for my health. Total elimination. Having said that, I don't think eating wheat has an immediate effect, at least not most of the time. It is the inflammation that builds over time that is so damaging. I haven't tested it on myself, nor will I. I have not the slightest desire to eat grains. It would be like drinking pee to see what happens. NO. I've had dramatic results, obviously the weight loss, but the other changes are not things that are obvious to others. I mean, after years of fighting adult acne, I haven't had a pimple in almost a year and a half. I don't even think about it any more. I don't even own concealer. Threw it away because it was all dried out. That alone is so freaking wonderful that I would stay on this plan just to have nice skin. If you have ever had problems with your skin and agonized over going to a job interview or singing a solo in church because your face looks like you got in a bar fight, you will be able to relate to this. Alot of the stuff I didn't even realize, because it happened gradually, and I knew it wasn't normal, but I just thought it was stress or something. Like having to use the bathroom - you know - six times a day. I used to leave for work 20 minutes early because about half the time I had to return home for a bathroom break. I would be out running errands and have to return home for a bathroom break. I thought it was stress. And no, a public restroom was not an option, if you know what I mean. And not because I'm a germaphobe.

Okay, I'm off to get my eyes checked.
    You've had great success. When are you going to do a success story?

I like reading about your skin issues clearing up. I'll have to tell my daughter when she gets here tonight. She's struggled with acne for a long time. She is fairly gluten free but being almost 23( next week) it's hard when none of her friends are.

I have rosacea and it is definitely worse when I dabble in the wrong things. I also understand about the bathroom issues. Imodium was a my friend for far too many years.

My "20" is usually planned and tied to meeting a goal I've set for myself. I try to set monthly goals and if I meet them I allow myself to loosen my rules over the last weekend of the month. By loosening things up I may plan to have things like wine, pizza (though I haven't had regular pizza in months),ice cream, or gluten free/homemade treats. Come Monday morning, new goals are in place and things go back to normal.

When I started low carb in January 2009 I was very strict and rarely deviated. I found primal in early 2010.

Congrats on getting the AC. I'm glad I made having it put in as part of the deal when I bought my house.

Jendara is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    I'm kind of surprised at my reaction, which is basically that I want to cry. The heat has been such a stressor. I didn't realize it until I had the means of escape. I feel like I have been let out of jail. Also, perhaps oddly, I started the washing machine right away. It has been impossible to do laundry because having the dryer on is unthinkable. Another relief.
    It IS a stressor, I totally get it. It has been crazy hot here too, and I am so thankful every day for our little box a/c! I'm glad to hear you're feeling better!
    ~ Jen
    The ridiculous, hilarious, sometimes infuriating and frustrating journal of one woman trying to feed a family caveman style.
    "It Takes A Village"
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread90638.html

"Canadian cavemen could have eaten poutine.."

Once again my friends here have come through for me, understanding my experiences when the people around me don't have a clue. (Like the landlord who thinks insulation will prevent heat buildup in an upstairs apartment.) The A/C is working great. It is not supposed to be as hot today, although still plenty hot. It didn't cool off very much last night, but I was good with the unit running all night. Very comfortable, not chilly. This morning I moved it into the kitchen, which is also a living area. It is hot there in the morning because it faces east, and it was 80F at 5 AM. It has cooled down nicely. The oddest thing is the cats, who are literally basking in the cool air. They all jumped up on the coffee table and stretched their faces towards the air, like dogs sticking their heads out of a car window. I've never seen cats do that. I've been pleasantly busy cleaning and straightening up the place, as any activity was like torture and the place looks like it has been looted.

In all the confusion I haven't talked much about my new mattress for the sleeping cave, which is magnificent. Now the little cot is actually more comfortable than my regular bed. It's a little camping pad from LL Bean, which is a combination of foam and air. It has that quality of being both soft and hard at the same time. Very firm and supportive, but cushy. I slept part of the night in there, not sure why. I woke up at some point and went in there, then went back to my regular bed. Slept very well but only 6 hours.

Full of energy this morning. I'm pretty hungry but I'm too excited to eat.

I've thought a lot about writing up a success story, but I don't have any before pictures. Also, I'm not really sure about letting go of my privacy to that extent. I have posted pics of myself here, but it's quite another to have thousands of people looking at me on some Friday. I have been writing a sort of memoir, which is of course too long to be a success story. Maybe I should just put something together and post it here. Of course I have a ways to go still. One never really totally gets there. But a lot of things I am working on now aren't dietary. A major focus right now is getting past crippling self-doubt. I'm learning how to look at people and smile, and step out from behind my armour of politeness and be truly involved with others.

Well, lots of stuff to do, better start!
    Last edited by Siobhan; 07-20-2013 at 05:57 AM.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    It's amazing to me how when you get your physical being in order, suddenly there's the energy to make ourselves better people in general. I don't know if it's a causal relationship or if we just make progress all aound and the body gets done sooner.

But now that I'm approaching a good place physically, it is easier to deal with emotional issues that are troublesome in my life.

I feel ambivalent regarding the whole success strory idea, not that I'm anywhere as close as you to being able to write one, but though inspiring, they all seem so pat, so boiled down. I know they need to be formatted in such a way, but I'm sure any one of them could be a book.

I'm actually more inspired reading through the journals at the small changes people make, the minor triumphs, struggles and problem solving along the way. I'd love to read more about how these folks maintain their healthy lifestyle, particularly through times of challenge and hardships. I'd also like to know how their lives have changed, becoming healthy. I had a bad experience as a young man losing nearly all of my weight. I wasn't prepared for the consequences and scampered back into the safety and anonymity of obesity.

Life is so complex (and wonderful). I'll be happy to read your story, once you commit it to paper (pixels).
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

You touch on an excellent point, David. For one thing, this is only major change I have ever made in my life that I feel confident that I can stick to. However, I must in fact do that. I've maintained my weight loss for under one year. It's early days yet! After I have done this for at least two years and received good standard physicals from my doctor I will be much more confident in putting myself forward as a success. And I don't want to ever come across as a smug know-it-all, I've-got-all-dialed-in, aren't-you-jealous-you-poor-schlumps.

BZM
    BZM is offline Senior Member
    Eliminating grains from my diet is the best I have ever done for my health. Total elimination. Having said that, I don't think eating wheat has an immediate effect, at least not most of the time. It is the inflammation that builds over time that is so damaging. I haven't tested it on myself, nor will I. I have not the slightest desire to eat grains.
    This is well-written, and reflects my experience exactly. Thank you. People at work think I'm some kind of iron man with resolve to match. Not so. All that stuff doesn't even tempt me, for a host of reasons. Well, ok, pizza will always tempt me. But knowing what it's made of (franchise pizza, at least) keeps the temptation down to just a fond memory.

Congrats on the cooling. We're headed for 111 degrees today with increasing humidity. I'm going out NOW to play with the dogs, then do some work outside!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    One good thing is that it has been so long since I've eaten "real" pizza that I don't remember what it tastes like. When I first eliminated grains I went to a lot of trouble to try to make a decent primal pizza but I never achieved anything worth making. Now I don't think about it. However, the local uber-pizza place - wood-fired, local ingredients, etc. now has a gluten-free pie. That tempts me a little. Definitely would be a once-a-year treat or something. I have the same experience, BZM, people think I have more superhuman willpower when I have nothing of the kind. Just no desire to eat whatever junk is offered. Now if you put a plate of primal ribs in front of me, you'd better step back right quick and watch your fingers and toes!

Two sad things to report. One: I strained my back wrestling the A/C up the stairs. Hopefully it is a superficial muscle strain. Now that it is cool in here, I can apply some mild moist heat. Two: the other day I hit a pothole pretty hard coming home from work. After my initial fear that I had damaged a tire proved to be unfounded, I noticed a slight vibration and louder-than-normal noise coming from the right front. Also a slight pull to the right. I must have knocked the wheel out of alignment. At least I hope that is all it is. Since I have been hemorrhaging money lately, I am not happy about even this modest (hopefully) expense.

Went out for a short hike this morning before it gets too hot. It's not even 10 AM and it is already uncomfortable. Very humid. Funny how the heat doesn't bother me so much now that I can escape it and relax a bit. Came home and found the kitchen, which is also a living area, very comfortable even though the hot sun is pouring through the inadequate shades. Yee-haw!