Page 309 of 590 FirstFirst ... 209259299307308309310311319359409 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,090 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 309

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    The portable unit is on its way! Supposed to arrive Friday, a day I believe we are to have thunderstorms. I will of course relate my primal adventures in getting it up and running and vented and figuring out how to optimize everything.

Today is blessedly a bit cooler; more importantly there is a lovely cool breeze off the water which is making things much more comfortable. It is 80F in my living room rather than 96, although the temp outside is almost the same as yesterday. I slept quite well, almost 7 hours which is incredible for me, and four of that was solid no-waking sleep. Feeling pretty good now. Work again tonight.

The accident last night was quite awful, but unfortunately par for the course. Young men + alcohol + ATVs = short life span. Tragic. We all did the best we could, and have to be satisfied with knowing we did everything possible. The doctor was amazing. It is incredible to me how these dramas are played out in little ERs all over the country while everyone sleeps. I felt really conscious of everything. The brightly lit ER, a hive of activity, yet right outside the doors all is dark, peaceful, moon and stars and water, a tiny helicopter. My hospital is very small and on a lovely property, almost totally surrounded by water, a tidal river. It is reached by a short causeway, little waves lapping the reeds along the narrow road.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

tomi is online now Senior Member
    What a peaceful setting! and you describe it wonderfully!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    It's so tragic when things like that happen, all of the lives that are forever changed. Last year one evening we were at the beach and a group of about 10 young men waded into the water right near where we were and swam across the little cove during low tide to an island off of Westbrook. They partied on the island for awhile there as the tide came in. Apparently they left in two groups, several minutes apart to swim back. One young man drowned on the return swim, but nobody noticed because each group assumed he had been with the others and it was dark. It was stupid, there was alcohol, and bad judgement and bad luck.

I've done a hundred equally dumb things in my life (drunken chicken fighting comes to mind...) but luck was with me.

It's wonderful that there are caring and competent folks like you who do their best to try and save us when we fall. But not every story has a happy ending, despite your heroic efforts.

I'm not sure I could do your job, I'm not strong enough.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

It's hard sometimes, but luckily we have each other to talk things out with. Arrived at work tonight and spent almost an hour 'debriefing' with a couple of co-workers. That really helps. And it helps to be competent and to know that even if the outcome is not good that you have done your best and maybe gave the person a chance.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Coll is offline Senior Member
    I remember those days so well - how traumatic it was for all of us, including the family and friends obviously!! There were times of tears with each other, or with the family. And other times we would resort to hysterical laughter (not when someone died of course! ) but in the tough times in the ICU dealing with any number of crazy situations that seem almost too much to handle .... some good memories in the midst of the sad ones. I hope you have a quiet night! And I am so pleased that you are getting an aircon! Some of us are not made for the heat and others can't cope with the cold. It is horrid when the heat finds you and you can't get away from it - I grew up in South Africa where it gets VERY hot and I never got used to it. Other friends just love sweating and baking - not me! When the sweat is dripping off your elbows and filling your shoes - misery is all I can say!!! So glad your minister intervened for you - what a blessing Good for her!!!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Hello from the Heat Basket. Actually it is not that bad. As I write this, it is 84 F in my living room, cooler in the kitchen. I shouldn't have the computer on, it adds considerable heat. Anyway, I got a good 6 hours of sleep and did not suffer horribly. Feel pretty good. I think it helps that I have doubled down on clean eating during this heat wave. Meat, eggs, fruit, veg. That is it. Kombucha or water to drink. My eating was pretty good before, but I am being a nazi about sugar and no alcohol either. Of course I am working, so the alcohol takes care of itself. I also realize I am partially becoming acclimatized to the heat, at least more so that I was. There is relief in sight, Saturday afternoon should start to be more reasonable and dry, and Sunday should be nice. Then there will be a stretch of dry weather in the 70's. You know, like we are supposed to have in Maine in the summer.

Oddly I am not even remotely interested in Mark's luxurious primal retreat in Mexico. I mean, if someone offered to pay for me to go, I would, sure. I have been to those all-inclusive resorts around Cancun and in Cozumel and they are really, really nice for sure. But I just don't equate that with primal anything. And it looks to me like either a couples thing or group-of-young-friends thing, not a single middle-aged lady who wants to learn stuff. But I hope some of you are going and have a great time and report back!

Michelle at Nom Nom Paleo wrote a truly fantastic post on night shift survival last week. I want to print it out and leave it all over the hospital. It has also inspired me - see comment about clean eating above - and validated stuff I learned on my own - example: strict schedule for sleeping, no exceptions! Here is the link if anyone is interested: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/55156756...he-night-shift.

Mark's fitness challenge comes a good time - when I am struggling with that aspect of primal living. Must think about this a lot. And think fairly quickly, and then stop thinking and start moving.

My new sleeping cave mattress arrived today. Actually it is called a camp futon. Although it is very simple, there were no instructions and I couldn't get it very firm. Just called LL Bean and they set me up with some facts, so I'll get it customized tomorrow. Too bad I left the valves closed - he said to leave them open for 12-18 hours. (Instructions would have been nice.)

Woke up really, really hungry and made some eggs and hot dogs. As often happens when I am eating really well, I took a couple of bites and totally lost all desire to eat. Weird. Ran around and did a lot of errands that I really didn't intend to do, and now I am quite tired and am at work. Oh well. Also walked in the door here and was suddenly starving. Luckily I had the leftover eggs and hot dogs!

I really miss ecks. I wonder how he is doing in Ecuador? I'm sure he's having a blast.

When I was getting dressed for work today I ran across an old pair of scrub pants that escaped my purge of a few months ago. I couldn't believe how big they are. I tried them on - two of me could have fit in there. And they used to be tight. Shudder.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    I think you should hang on to those scrub pants. Put them on when ever you are feeling a little down on yourself and it should give you an instant boost! You're progress and success has been inspiring and encouraging to many of us.

Speaking of missing........ is still miss Judg. She was always so upbeat and gave the best advice. I hope she didn't leave because some of us were dragging her down
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I miss Judg too, she posted a lot, always had something to say, kept the threads moving. Maybe she will come back. I've been surprised to see threads reappear after quite a long time. I've been here now for almost a year and a half, I'm almost an old-timer!

At work the past two nights my meal has been a large bowl of leafy greens with BV and EVOO and two poached eggs. Easy to make with a microwave. Delicious and satisfying.