Page 301 of 590 FirstFirst ... 201251291299300301302303311351401 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,010 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 301

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Feeling rather horrible and bloated. It's the heat, I know it is. If it is this hot tomorrow I will go swim in the ocean somewhere. Although I live on waterfront property, there is no dock and no water access. This is Maine - rocky, steep coast. But I have friends with docks and even with tiny beaches. There are also a couple of public places. Also I will go to a film in the afternoon if it is still so hot - it is stupid to hang out here in this steam bath. I don't really want to see the Lone Ranger film, but any port in a storm.

The theater in the next town (where I work) is showing the Wimbledon finals live. Tempted to skip church to see it! But I haven't been to church in a month!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Sio, I don't know Yerba mate, but I am now on my third batch of kombucha. We are in love with the stuff.

At first I thought it would be complicated, (and dangerous if I did something wrong) but it's easy and so delicious! I use just a few earl grey org black tea bags, org sugar, lots of filtered water and the little scoby that grew from the mother I ordered from amazon. I put it all in a big 2 gal glass jar with an open weave cloth and rubber band around it. The first batch was fermenting and smelling like vinegar after a few days, didn't like the smell too much but it stopped after a couple more days, then I bottled it all up, threw away the big, tough mother scoby and used her baby underneath to make the new batch. Didn't know what to do with the mother, would it have made new babies if I'd given it to someone?

DH loves it with org lemons and sometimes wants it mixed with plain tea because he thinks it's 'booze'. LOL. I LOVE the fizziness and slight bite to it. It really gives us energy; we call it the healing tea. . Of course, it was another of the many benefits from reading your journal. Thanks, dear lady.

BZM
    BZM is offline Senior Member
    I'm with you re: the heat. We're going through our second week of 100+ temps. Last Wednesday we hit 116. I felt like a reprieved death-row inmate when the weather guy said we'd have a few days of "only" 105-ish this week. Life just ...stops... while you cope with the heat.

What helped me was concentrating on making sure my dogs were safe (no doggie heatstroke!) and got enough exercise. I also kind of turn vampire-ish. Go to bed early, get up really early and do stuff while it's still cool (although Thursday morning it was still 90 degrees at 5am! Ick). Siesta in the afternoon.

WWGD? Go swimming, that's what. Get one of those go-pro helmet cams and show off your snorkeling skills!

Ah Judy, I know what's good! Kombucha - one of the best things ever. I need to start making my own! Or going to work at a kombucha brewery.

The heat is still beastly. I am doing something most un-primal. I resorted to diet ginger ale. I would rather consume fake sugar than HFCS. Mixed myself a cocktail with gin, Drambuie, and lots of fresh lemon. And ice. Lots of ice. I'm not sure if it is nicer to drink it or just hold it against my forehead.

I think the temp has started to drop...slightly. I've opened the French doors and put the fan there. The breeze is almost faintly cool if I use my imagination.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Oh my dear! The heat - just nasty! I am so grateful to have airconditioning in this old trailer or I would be freaking out! A tip for sleeping in the heat - I used to do night duty in South Africa with no air conditioning - 100F or more and just awful. I used to dampen my top sheet in the sink and then lay it over me with the fan blowing across the top. Only thing that worked - as soon as it dried out I'd wake up gasping and quickly wet the sheet again.

That cocktail sounds tasty!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Wow, I can't imagine surviving in even hotter weather with no A/C! And having to sleep during the day!!!! I am using your trick, I have a microfiber towel thingy that holds water really well and doesn't drip. And today is a little cooler, and tomorrow is supposed to be a lot cooler. Hallelujah!

Hey! Mark used one of my comments in his Weekend Love Link! Again! That is the third one he has used! Okay, enough with the exclamation points. And I really enjoyed Cordain's article. For me he is the granddaddy of all things paleo. Cordain, Taubes, and Sisson are basically the three most important men in my life for the past 1 1/2 years.

This morning breakfast was turkey soup jazzed up with garlic, ginger, cilantro, and cashews. Had a smoothie for lunch in an effort to add in more protein. I always have trouble with that. Am going to have an early dinner - maybe 4 PM or so and then have a food-free evening. That will work better for me.

Having thought long and hard about some things, and facing up to some recurring problems that I haven't mentioned here, I realize that I need to eliminate some things from my diet. One of those things makes me very sad. Chili pepper. Capsaicin. Although I love the taste, I believe it is causing leaky gut. I won't go into the symptoms. I will say that it is something that we called 'rag butt' when I was at university. Enough.

Cordain's article in Mark's post today made me go back to his books, and I am going to go strict paleo for a while. It is no sacrifice. I started this afternoon with a bowl of salad greens adorned with raspberries, walnuts, and avocados. Also a large portion of asparagus cooked in coconut oil until crispy and a pork chop. I cooked some broccoli soup right now - that's for tomorrow. A trip to the grocery store has yielded enough food to get me to Wednesday at least, along with the turkey soup I still have, which is quite paleo.

I'm going to try to get up early enough to swim tomorrow AM before the hordes arrive. The pool is closed today so the filters and chlorine have had a chance to do their magic, and the locker room should be clean.

Am ridiculously proud that Mark used my comment today. It makes me feel like I am connecting in some way, and that I am on the right track. When I posted the comment, it was late in the day, many pages back, and I thought no one would even read it. Just goes to show that you never know!

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    I love your witty comments
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

The place cooled off enough to sleep last night, only just. One thing about this heat wave - I can't tell if I am having hot flashes. I'm just bloody hot all of the time.

Woke up this morning to an enormous crash of thunder. Continuous rumblings for the next half hour as the heavens opened quite literally and rain poured as though from a gigantic hose. Quite spectacular. Blessed cool air has poured in the cracks in my almost-shut windows.

I'm glad I wasn't at the pool, they have to close when there is lightning even though it is indoors.

Having a cup of Earl Grey.