Page 3 of 590 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 3

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Went and saw The Hunger Games. I read the book a few years ago and loved it, but the film didn't do anything for me. I almost left out of boredom. Oh well.

Is there a better combination than chicken and bacon and avocado? Had that and some almonds.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Made some omelet muffins from the reader cookbook, very nice recipe. Unfortunately I cooked them too long and they are a bit dry. I will do better next time as I will definitely make these again. Very convenient food to have on hand and this will be really good for work. I have to make some primal ketchup.

Despite overcooking them, I managed to eat three of the muffins for dinner last night, so that is like a three egg omelet. Also some greens and strawberries. This morning I am fasting until noon. I'm going to try that and tweak it to go with my work schedule. The real test will be when I go back to work at the end of the week (Thursday, Friday, Saturday night) and make sure I have plenty of primal food available all the time AND avoid all the junk at work. Normally there are cakes and chips literally everywhere. You would not believe what we feed the patients. That is literally a crime. Peanut butter full of trans-fat - I kid you not - saltine and graham crackers - ice cream - jello - canned soup. There is absolutely no high quality protein, no vegetables, no fruit. Even the bread is full of junk and fillers. Perhaps I should say especially the bread is full of junk and fillers. Yikes. Actually I am not tempted to eat that stuff, but my co-workers bring in tons of homebaked junk. Needless to say most of my co-workers are fat, unhealthy, unhappy, and many smoke even though we supposedly work on a non-smoking campus (what a joke). They sit around stuffing themselves and talk about how rotten their wonderful kids are, how many sacrifices they are making for their perfect kids who don't appreciate anything, etc. etc. Hasn't every generation done this? I wonder how anyone breaks out of this pattern. Okay, enough of that, I don't have to deal with it for a few more days. Accentuate the positive!

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Well, I didn't make it until noon. The cauliflower was calling to me, which is strange because up until now I would have told you that I hated cauliflower. I have been really interested in making cauliflower 'rice' and so I just did it. Fun and easy! I ate some with a mushroom/onion/red pepper mix I had already made. Added some cooked chicken into that and Bob's your uncle. Finished it with a banana.

Visited my favorite tree and managed to do a couple of 3-second dead hangs. (Don't laugh) I do much better with a parallel grip, which I learned from a Daily Apple post last week. I will get there - I will - I will - I will actually do a chin-up one day. Doing fine with the pushups, planks, squats. (By that I mean I can actually perform those moves.)

Slept really well but only about 5 hours last night.

Today my goal is to find a playground somewhere.

Made some kale chips and felt a bit tired, so I lay down and must have dozed off because I was awakened by gunshots right outside my window. Hel-lo! Saw a police car in my driveway, heard shouting. Ran outside - maybe not the smartest thing I've ever done - and a policeman (actually the police chief) told me he just shot a raccoon that had been hit by a car. That is what passes for excitement around here. The property I live on is heavily wooded and has a busy highway running in front of it. This sort of thing happens fairly often, but usually not so close to my house. Someone pulled up in a red pickup, threw a plastic bag over the raccoon and took it away. I walked around barefoot in my moss-covered yard for awhile. The squirrels chittered very loudly at me.

Threw away a load of stuff from my refrigerator and put all my fresh primal food in the front. I have to be careful about waste because I am not a rich person. I don't want anything going bad because I forgot it was there.

A moment of silence for the raccoon.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Poor raccoon. I'm glad it had a quick end, rather than lingering on the road for hours.

I think I am posting too much. Kind of embarrassing.

Got my bike out, filled up the tires, tested the brakes, and rode it all over. Went to the post office and then remembered it is Patriot's Day. Bought a pork tenderloin and a bottle of mead and rode home.

Went to the playground at the school (it is spring vacation, no one there) and used the equipment to do dead hangs and even managed three Australian pull-ups. I do feel I am getting stronger although I don't think it is possible for the human body to change that much in a week. Probably all in my head.

I haven't looked up the info on mead. It is, of course, made from honey. We can't grow good grapes in Maine but we are pretty good at honey production.

Time for some strawberries -

Yeah, that is one side of life in the country - animals getting hit by cars in a much more personal way than I experienced in the city. I'm a city girl, born and raised in one, and lived in quite a few others until I moved to Maine two years ago. Three of my co-workers and one of my BFFs hit deer over the winter - actually can be quite dangerous, but luckily no people were hurt. The deer were eaten in every case. The police send over someone to prepare it for the food bank.

I asked the police chief what to do if I see an animal in distress, because that happens sometimes. I hesitate to call 911 because it doesn't really seem like an emergency, but that is city girl thinking. He said don't hesitate, call, because a person could easily get injured trying to help an animal and it is better to let them handle it. I can't help being sad over the raccoon even though I know it is the way of things. They are so clever and fun to watch. Well, must go commune with the neighbor's goats, that will cheer me up.

Feed the goats the strawberry tops and cauliflower trimmings and carrots. They loved the strawberry tops and carrots are a big favorite always. I wonder if they like the crunchiness?

For lunch I had a big salad. For dinner I cooked a pork tenderloin with herbs de provence, a great deal of butter, and balsamic vinegar. I ate a very healthy portion of that with half a sweet potato, also adorned with butter. I decided to double down on the fat because I felt kind of hungry today and I was afraid that, despite the impressive amount of food I seem to be eating, I'm not sure my calorie count is very high. Funny how much whole food you can eat. I want to lose weight - 30 lbs - but I'm in this for the long term and I don't want to have cravings or binges. For eight days now I have had no grains at all, no legumes or beans, no sugar, no seed or nut oils. Nothing from a box.

I am craving ribs, but that is a do-able craving. Maybe tomorrow I will make some.

I've been reading other people's journals and finding them extremely inspiring. Some really great people here! Also I have made quite a few recipes from the reader cookbook and have found them really, really good and even worthy of being served to non-primal types. Next time I get roped into a staff meeting I am taking omelet muffins and trashing the cake with trans-fat frosting that we normally have. (Can you believe that people still use that stuff and feed it to their families?)

Rode my bike to my prayer group this morning, lots of fun there! Most people don't lock their bikes here, but bikes do get stolen, and I don't think it is good to tempt people. Luckily I can just put it inside the entryway. Then to the post office, where I received the good news that I have sold a poem to a small publication. That makes four poems and one short story sold since I decided to start sending out my work last fall. My mom is going to be so happy!

I'm going to a retreat this summer and my pastor has asked me to represent the church - this just involves attending a meeting and voting. I'm very pleased and honored. It will also be nice to get away even for a few days as I haven't had a vacation in two years.

primal4fifty is offline Senior Member
    siobhan! I love your journal... you had me captivated at 'goats'!! heh heh heh

you've expressed so many things I've felt along the way, and written them out so beautifully...

the changes at first are pretty dramatic! it has been what keeps me going.

like you, I was shocked to discover that once I took the gluten out I couldn't put it back into my diet. but that probably explains a lot about that vexing intractable midsection weight gain. I dont miss it now; when I want the rare cheat with a crust or a crumb I make it for myself with King Arthur brand gluten-free flour. I really enjoy a woodfired pizza now and again, or a cream scone at breakfast (and that's basically just to serve as a delivery harness for a dollop of lemon curd! hahaha)

anyway, keep writing. I feel like my outer beauty and inner beauty are finally on a trajectory to meet and match in my 50's! xoL