Page 299 of 590 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309349399 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 2,990 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 299

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Thank you! I did some more writing today. It is fun, and a constructive project. I like going back and looking at my progress and learning. I am still amazed at where I am!

Busy day. Staked tomatoes, swam, choir practice, made chocolate pots, a huge vat of turkey soup. I actually prefer having the chocolate pots around because they are quite low in carbs, no dairy, comparatively low in sugar. They keep me away from the gluten-free cake and other treats that I really should stay away from. Those are carb-a-holic nightmares.

The soup is delicious even though I forgot the ginger and the garlic. One good thing about soup - it is never too late to add stuff. I really like to take soup to work. It is easy to heat up and eat (I have to eat at my desk, there is no break room) and it is so good that I am not tempted by other things. Come to think of it, I also need some cilantro. Cashews would be excellent, but maybe I should hold off on those. I have six very generous servings. That and some green salad will get me through my work days/nights.

The co-op will be closed tomorrow for the manager's funeral. I am very glad they decided to close so that everyone can attend the funeral and no one will have to return to work afterwards. A sensible and humane decision that is all too often not made these days. I wish I could attend the funeral myself but it is difficult with work.

I have some nasty heat rash on my legs and neck! Horrid stuff.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Here I am at work and feeling unaccountably happy. Got my car fixed today; a recall. I knew it was making a noise that it shouldn't be, and there was a vibration that I didn't like, but I was unprepared to have it drive completely differently, for the better! They replaced the engine torque rod bolt or some such thing. The car is completely quiet, no vibration, no rattle, smooth smooth smooth. The trouble is that I didn't have anything to compare it to - I just thought it was a much cheaper car than my deluxe Nissan Maxima and naturally was not as quiet. Well duh. I'm glad it is fixed.

Scored a dozen duck eggs! I am so happy! Had a nice salad with feta, strawberries, pecans. And two duck eggs.

Heat rash is gone, thank the heavens.

Here's a quiz: What would you do? This afternoon I was cooking up some proscuitto wrapped goat cheese when I noticed something...something moving in the pan. It was a WORM. A little tiny black worm. It was nowhere near the food, but where did it come from? And what should I do? I know it is not primal of me, but it grossed me out. Very unappetizing. A true primal attitude would be - PROTEIN! Chomp. So - what would you have done?

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Here's a quiz: What would you do? This afternoon I was cooking up some proscuitto wrapped goat cheese when I noticed something...something moving in the pan. It was a WORM. A little tiny black worm. It was nowhere near the food, but where did it come from? And what should I do? I know it is not primal of me, but it grossed me out. Very unappetizing. A true primal attitude would be - PROTEIN! Chomp. So - what would you have done?
    I'd get grossed out and have to dump the whole thing.
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    My first thought was, "Has she read the children's book, How to Eat Fried Worms?"

Realistically, I would be so creeped out I'd have to dump the whole thing.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    If it was nowhere near the food - and you're sure there weren't more IN the food.......... I would have removed the worm and kept cooking. I've been known to pick weavles out of rice before. They are harmless, just a bit gross. Since I don't buy rice-a-roni anymore I don't have to worry about doing that.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I would just flip the worm out of the pan and into the trash. (Even if it had been touching the food!) And eat my proscuitto-goat cheese! Things fall/fly into food: there's no getting around it.

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Lol, I would be checking the food out carefully looking for any worm family members and then would finish cooking and eat Without a word to the rest of the family so they didn't know
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    I'd remove the worm, look over the rest of the food and if it wasn't the worm's point of origin I'd keep going.

Reminds me of a story: Years ago when my older boys were 6 and 4, we lived at a place with a lot of acreage and we had a big garden. The broccoli came in and was the favorite vegetable of my eldest boy. We were having lunch with my Mother, who came to visit. The table was all set and the steamed broccoli was already out and buttered and Eldest was chomping at the bit. I said to him "go ahead and eat your broccoli" to keep him occupied. He tucked right in.

When we all were sitting down and eating, my Mother said, "Oh this broccoli has worms!" It did! Very dead Green worms, the same color as the broccoli. I checked mine, and it had a worm, my ex found one in hers and so did Middlest. But Eldest had eaten all his broccoli without so much as looking at it and likely had eaten at least one worm.

Me being a sensitive and caring father started singing, "Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, guess I'll go eat worms!" to the delight of everybody at the table, except Eldest. I stopped when he started tearing up. :-( (I can be an ass).

20 years later, Eldest doesn't much care for broccoli or that particular song, but cannot remember why...
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

David, you are a scream! (Runs to check broccoli)

I laughed pretty hard as I read over all your replies, because I basically did all of them in sequence. My first thought was to dump everything. My appetite had vanished. But you know what? That was some expensive chow I had in that pan. I took out the worm and continued cooking. I put it on a plate and walked away for a while. That bit of distance let me recover my appetite. It also let me think about where the worm came from. And the most logical, simplest explanation is that it was in my hair, and fell out when I leaned over the pan. Before you think that I am the most disgusting, hygienically challenged person ever, I hasten to add that I had been outside in the rain walking under trees immediately before cooking lunch, and that my hair is quite curly (despite the pic many pages back, where it is straightened and well smashed down.)

So I went back to my food, carefully cut it up and examined it, and found no trace of worms or anything else that I wouldn't want to eat. And then I ate it.

I also examined my hair, and didn't find any more vermin. Did spend some extra time in the shower.

Just a day in the life.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tiptiptip...peeking in...sticks at the ready...where is she? Maybe we should just grab the spiral cutter, and run!