Page 298 of 590 FirstFirst ... 198248288296297298299300308348398 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,980 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 298

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Baking soda and vinegar sounds very good. Super cheap! It is nice to have my drain running smoothly again. It has been slow for a while.

Back at work. Very sad. The grocery manager of the fantastic food co-op has died. Just had a heart attack and is gone. He also ran a farm with his wife. I know that we all need to face up to the transience of our existence, but damn, he was a good man and he will be missed.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Some good news from the co-op, though. They have started making mayo with high-oleic sunflower oil. Apparently there is a demand for paleo-friendly mayo! I have run the numbers and it is cheaper to buy theirs than to make my own, and a whole lot easier. Also, if even one batch of mine goes bad, unfortunately a common occurrence, theirs will be even cheaper.

Can't wait to get home! Have eaten some chicken and a couple of pieces of bacon. BACON!

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to hear about the Grocery manager... But I envy you the co-op. We don't really have anything like that here. I used to be part of the Northeastern food co-op, but I'm not sure they are really around much anymore.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

Everybody watch this:

Peter Attia: Is the obesity crisis hiding a bigger problem? | Video on TED.com

It's from the Weekend Love Link. Unfortunately the last few seconds are cut off. Yes, I cried too.
    Last edited by Siobhan; 06-30-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DCarr10760 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the Grocery manager... But I envy you the co-op. We don't really have anything like that here. I used to be part of the Northeastern food co-op, but I'm not sure they are really around much anymore.
    I love the co-op so much I have repeatedly thought about trying to get some kind of job there, even at the expense of cutting back my hours at the hospital. Of course they could not pay me nearly as much as the hospital does. But I would love to be involved in running that place.

I finally started my book. In the most old fashioned of ways - I saw a pen and an old tablet lying in my desk drawer, picked it up and started scribbling. It is a memoir about my paleo/primal experience. As I was writing I decided to just write and not worry about the focus of the book, or who was ever going to read it, or anything practical. I'm just writing. A couple of weeks ago I went back and read the beginning of my journal, which has probably inspired me. I think the primal world needs people like me. Just a regular person. Not a scientist, or a gorgeous model/film star type. A middle-aged, middle-class person who has transformed herself, not into an unreal stereotype, but into a happy, healthy person.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Everybody watch this:

Peter Attia: Is the obesity crisis hiding a bigger problem? | Video on TED.com

It's from the Weekend Love Link. Unfortunately the last few seconds are cut off. Yes, I cried too.
    Me too.. Thx for the link; will pass on.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    I finally started my book. In the most old fashioned of ways - I saw a pen and an old tablet lying in my desk drawer, picked it up and started scribbling. It is a memoir about my paleo/primal experience. As I was writing I decided to just write and not worry about the focus of the book, or who was ever going to read it, or anything practical. I'm just writing. A couple of weeks ago I went back and read the beginning of my journal, which has probably inspired me. I think the primal world needs people like me. Just a regular person. Not a scientist, or a gorgeous model/film star type. A middle-aged, middle-class person who has transformed herself, not into an unreal stereotype, but into a happy, healthy person.
    You are a great writer.. Can't wait to read it.
    It really has been an awesome experience to live with the benefits of primal eating.

You know, I think the world is ready to hear from regular people, i.e. me, who have benefited from this way of eating and living. We need Mark Sisson and Robb Wolf, with their gorgeous physiques, to be the faces of the movement, but as Grandma used to say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Can regular folk do it? And benefit from it? Absolutely. So many of the people I talk to think it is just too hard. They can't identify with the media "caveman" image.

I ran into my duck egg provider and found to my great happiness that the ducks are still laying and he can bring some for me! I ate the last of them this morning. (Remember I was away, otherwise I would have eaten them all long ago.)

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    It is true, it has to work with regular people. But they also have to understand it.

It's amazing to me that people cling so tightly to their carb-heavy lifestyles. With me, my beliefs about what was a healthy diet changed by degrees as I read about big agribusiness and our corn and wheat-based food system and how that has influenced the ADA and AMA and their recommendations about a conventional "healthy" diet. Once I questioned that, I was more receptive and the change in lifestyle and diet wasn't so abrupt.

When I tell people about what I am doing I find they have all heard about the Paleo diet, but have few details. When I begin to get into the nitty-gritty details, they realize it isn't really all that weird.

Good luck with the writing!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5