Page 294 of 590 FirstFirst ... 194244284292293294295296304344394 ... LastLast
Results 2,931 to 2,940 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 294

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Some thoughts:

A year ago last May I hurt my back somehow, or I should say I suffered an attack of sciatica. I have often wondered what I did to irritate my sciatic nerve so badly. I wonder if it was related to my weight loss. I would have to look back and try to figure out how much weight I had lost at that point, but I believe I had lost a considerable amount fairly rapidly, maybe 15 or even 20 lbs. I think that is enough to have caused a shift or imbalance more quickly than my body could adjust. I was reading Quelson's journal and saw that idea expressed. Perhaps, perhaps.

Again I am not sure when I reached my present weight, but I think I have maintained for almost a year now. That is incredible to me.

Someone I work with sorta kinda asked me to go to a concert. Not sure if it was a date or what. Not sure what to do. Very awkward dating a co-worker.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I've made two batches of good bone broth in my new little slow cooker. Works great. I make it into some kind of soup right away, that works best for me. I love having soup all made, just needs to be heated for a great meal. And I'm an oddball who thinks soup is the perfect summer meal. Easy, filling, no time at all, almost no clean-up. The second batch I made was with bones and remains of hot wings from the co-op. Obviously the broth was spicy! It is great. I mixed it up with some coconut milk, onions, carrots, and fish for a very tasty chowder.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

ecks is offline Senior Member
    How close is this co-worker of yours as far as working vicinity? If you encounter him more than twice a day in the office it's a no go. That's too close and if anything happens that's it- one of you has to go.

That being said you should find out his intentions and go if it's as friends. It's good to bond with the people you work with!
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Regarding the back pain, I'm really surprised at how weak my core is, since doing the training specifically targeting the core. I've had lower back issues all of my adult life and I think that a weak core may be the issue.

I wouldn't have guessed this about myself. I walk daily and do yard work, etc. My job occasionally requires some vigorous activity, so I'm no couch potato, still in core strength exercises I'm weak. Maybe the lower back pain is a result of a more vigorous lifestyle, bolstered by the weight loss, but without (at that time) the corresponding increase in core strength?

My trainer is constantly giving me tips on how to avoid injuring my lower back when telling me how to do this exercise or that. Without that guidance, I'd be certain to throw it out of whack.

In terms of the date... I'd define the terms a bit more. My experiences with dating co-workers echo eck's assertion. If it goes poorly it's uncomfortable.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I've been out of the dating scene for so long I'm not going to offer any advice.......... except to say, be cautious! Very cautious.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Well, it is so beautiful here that I am almost speechless, but I will post nonetheless. The weather is perfect, the summer weather that Maine is famous for. I lay on my special rock surrounded by wildflowers for some time, and then duty called. After a few errands I returned to my paradise, fixed myself a gin and tonic and went back to my idyll. Yes, I am a little drunk, and it feels good! So nice to have such a perfect afternoon and evening to myself. I think I have made a good amount of Vitamin D today. I have a steak to cook and some snow peas and a summer squash.

I have been thinking about the Buddha and the Prophet Mohammed and Jesus and how the same sun shone on those great men. Life is ephemeral, and all the more beautiful for being so. But I really don't know anything...I see through a glass darkly...one day I shall know...

I'm going to buy or borrow a tent and sleep outside sometimes. I wonder if I can rig up something tonight? It's the bugs that are the problem. I'm pretty primal but not that primal. Tonight would be perfect to be outside.

Re: the co-worker. I am thinking we could be friends and possibly we are looking for the same thing despite not really having too many interests in common. That thing is somebody to do stuff with - concerts, plays, movies. I'm going to ask him to go see a tribute band and make it clear that it is just as friends, I will buy my own ticket, etc. Hopefully I will do this without being obnoxious. Yes, I have to be very cautious. And not naive either. EVERYONE will know that we are going somewhere together, no matter how 'just friends' we make it. I value my job and my reputation above all else, but at the same time I can't close myself off to new things.

About my back:

Is there any body part as important as the back? Maybe the heart. Possibly the brain. If you have ever seen a schematic of the nerves in the lower back, you may wonder that everyone doesn't have back pain. To be honest, it is not a great design. And no matter how strong I think my back is, I am wrong. Very wrong. I need to work my core and I need to do it soon. Swimming is a great help, but even there it is easy to let other body parts do the work. Really, I need to get a personal trainer.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    or try Barre3 Its a GREAT core workout!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Barre3 looks really good, but I don't have any place to do it here. I don't have any kitchen counters, or any kind of sturdy thing to put my body weight on. Maybe one day if I get an iPad and can be portable with the workout.

Fish chowder for breakfast. So good. That fish chowder I made was really good if I do say so myself. That was the last of it, but I am leaving today until Thursday, so the cupboard and fridge are bare. Of course the weather is stupendous and I have heard it is boiling hot at my mom's in Illinois.

Went swimming this morning, got up early and got there with the adult lap swimmers. I'm confident the pool was clean! The swim was great. Unfortunately my back is a little sore now. GOT TO work the core. I asked about personal trainers again and got an email addy for someone different.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Barre3 looks really good, but I don't have any place to do it here. I don't have any kitchen counters, or any kind of sturdy thing to put my body weight on. Maybe one day if I get an iPad and can be portable with the workout.
    I have this dvd:
    Total Body Lift Workout with Sadie Lincoln - 40 Minute DVD | barre3

Today I used the wall instead of the kitchen counter to see if that would work. It did. You don't really put your body weight on the counter/chair/ wall. You just use it for balance/stability.

I suggest trying some of the free videos on Youtube to see if you can make it work. You can also look into getting a chair at a thrift shop to use as "the bar".