Page 290 of 590 FirstFirst ... 190240280288289290291292300340390 ... LastLast
Results 2,891 to 2,900 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 290

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    considering the tough nights at work lately I'm not surprised you're pooped out! Get some much needed rest.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Coll is online now Senior Member
    You have been very busy and then the tummy upset can really drain you too! Hope you have a lovely quiet evening and refreshing sleep! Glad you had a swim - so relaxing when tired and stressed.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

PRO199 is offline Senior Member
    Oh my, if that doesn't look lovely...
    Someday I will enjoy, but not today.
    Follow my progress at ->Journal: My Body Revival

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Last night I watched two TV programs, one about Niagara Falls and one about the Zambezi (Victoria Falls). One that is totally shaped by people, turned into a bizarre circus, and the other wild, full of animals and indigenous people. It was a nice diversion. I slept very well and feel ten times better this morning. I was overtired. I'm glad I didn't run out to the grocery last night. For one thing, abstinence from alcohol is advisable when one is teetering on the edge of exhaustion or depression or whatever it is that knocks one upside the head from time to time. I will have to remember this and next time (hopefully very, very far in the future and very, very rarely) I will just pull back and relax and rest. There is a tendency to think that one has to "do something" instead of just letting things run the course.

I broke a cutting board a couple of days ago. Well, actually Oboe broke it, but I'm not blaming him. I'm the human adult here. Anyway, it is an integral part of my makeshift kitchen, comprising roughly 1/3 of my available counter space. I do have another cutting board this is not quite as large and is very beaten up. Still, there is a great satisfaction in using things until they can't be used any more, and not having to buy new stuff. I need to get some food-grade mineral oil, something I have been meaning to get for some time, to put on my cutting boards. In the meantime, I sanded the old/new board and rubbed it with sunflower oil. I also need a new electric kettle. This one has been limping along for some time, and it heats up fine, but the spout and bits around the top are hopelessly battered. I have had it for years.

I am very, very pleased with my new fancy-schmancy slicing implement. Here it is: Amazon.com: Paderno World Cuisine A4982799 Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable: Kitchen & Dining. Last night I sliced the ill-fated cucumber with it. This morning I am able to look at it with clearer eyes that are not hazed by fatigue, and I see that it is a very versatile implement, much more useful that I originally thought. I can cut spiral-y things or I can cut regular slices as well - I just need to make cuts along the sides of the veg or fruit. It is easy to clean and surprisingly sturdy for what it cost. I am going to buy a big basket of veg, slice them up and make them into a soup with the bone broth I made the other day.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Funny, I've got the exact same spiral slicer coming via UPS today!
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

ecks is offline Senior Member
    I bought that slicer a few months ago. Goes through a sweet potato in like 2 minutes if you have mad grade-school pencil sharpening skills
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Quote Originally Posted by ecks View Post
    Goes through a sweet potato in like 2 minutes if you have mad grade-school pencil sharpening skills
    The key, of course! And not slicing through a finger! I think even one so clumsy as me will be able to manage, which is saying a lot. (This from the woman who ended up with five stitches in her left palm as a result of trying to imitate Jacques Pepin.)

Had a very, very large bowl of leafy greens with walnut oil and balsamic vinegar, and an egg scrambled with scallions. Having a great craving for veg. What's up with that? There are worse things to crave! Wish the farmers market was today, alas it is tomorrow.

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Similar to my dinner last night, I took a whole bag of spinach and sauteed it in Olive oil and butter, then tossed in some fresh uncooked salsa, spices and last some eggs and stirred it into a unappetising looking mass of deliciousness.

It tasted great, but looked a bit like roadkill.

Bon Appetit!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

That reminds me of a really delicious thing I used to cook - red (or any other color) bell peppers - cook them for a really long time on low heat on the stovetop, maybe half an hour until they are melty, add some parmesan (if you do dairy) and garlic, and stir in eggs - you end up with a very red mound of stuff that tastes like heaven. Must make that soon. Great thing to make when peppers are on sale.

Whew! Had a busy afternoon. Drove to the nearby shopping town and had some fun. Got the food-grade mineral oil. Why mineral oil, you may ask? Use it on wood surfaces in your kitchen because it will not go rancid. Obviously it is also safe to consume, although of course you do not cook with it. Bought carrots, onions, celery, fennel. Have never cooked with fennel. (Hanging head in shame.) Picked up an already cooked organic chicken from a local farm for $7. Why so cheap, you ask? Because it is on the last sell-by date. Came home and went to town slicing everything on my new slicer dicer. Works a treat! It accomplishes what I cannot with a knife - everything is very, very thin. Shredded the chicken. All the leavings went into the little crock pot, where they will stay overnight. All the nice bits went into soup along with the bone broth I had and a pint of chicken stock from the food co-op. Best soup I ever made! Why did I never put fennel in my soup? It is wonderful, a subtle flavor. Luckily I have an old toothbrush I use for dish cleaning - it makes cleaning the slicer a snap. Ten seconds and it's done. Ate a bowl of soup - also have to admit that a good amount of chicken made it into my mouth while I was shredding away. I can't resist a nice drumstick! So that was dinner.

Also had my special G&T. Didn't break anything this time. Actually I am glad I broke the glass BEFORE I put in the $$$$$$ gin and tonic. I can afford to lose a cucumber!

Must confess this afternoon was a bit carb-y. The cooking supply store sells astoundingly good coconut macaroons, gluten-free of course. (If you find one that isn't gluten free, just say no. Coconut macaroons are not supposed to contain flour or any grains.) And the food co-op had chipotle sweet potato soup (also gluten and grain free) that is really worth eating. I don't regret it at all. If I'm gonna eat carbs, those are the ones!

I did have quite a splurge. There is a wonderful art gallery, all Maine artists, most of them local. I saw a silhouette (paper cutting) of two loons and some pine trees that I had to have. Just had to. It was $50. I love it and it is hanging in the perfect place on my wall. I wish I could decorate properly and really show off my art - I have some nice pieces.

Ridiculously excited about Science Wednesday on PBS. Tonight is hummingbirds, apes, and elephants. Yes, I am a geek. No, I do not have DVR or anything of the sort. I don't even have cable. I will not be getting those things. I have what I can pull for free from the sky. (Full disclosure - obviously I have a computer and can watch stuff that way.)