Page 284 of 590 FirstFirst ... 184234274282283284285286294334384 ... LastLast
Results 2,831 to 2,840 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 284

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I looked up Cascade Head - beautiful! Being surrounded by natural beauty is one of the greatest pleasures in life.

I guess it is the season for sunburn. Just sneaks up on you, doesn't it? Yes, I definitely have a Farmer's Tan. I'm going to look so weird at the pool.

Due to filling in for a collegue at the last minute, I am working five nights in a row and getting my ass kicked. It's hard to have to work this sort of shift with no notice and no rest, in addition my errands did not get done. I'm having trouble with a lot of noise during the day. There is some sort of activity involving a backhoe going on nearby. I have two fans and earplugs but still it is hard. After tonight I have one more. Wish me luck.

Staying totally primal on the eating, althought I don't worry about quantity or frequency. I can't stress myself like that when I'm working like this. Thank the stars for the food co-op! I picked up another package of paleo hot wings tonight. I hope they are a regular item, I made a comment and left a thank you note in the suggestion box. I believe there are a number of paleo/primal people around here although I don't know them, and also a fair number of celiacs/gluten intolerants. Just judging by products and changes I see at the co-op. I'm not the only one seeking grain-free stuff. Of course locally sourced clean meat is totally their deal. Did I mention the community kitchen is fully funded and so it will be happening! I am very excited about that.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

So glad that you've pre-ordered the Nom Nom Paleo cookbook. You will not regret it, I promise you. That woman has a real way with food and she's pretty strict paleo. No gloppy cheese stuff, no frankenstein food. I've made at least ten of her recipes and every one is a winner. You can definitely feed anyone with her stuff and they won't even know they are eating paleo/primal or feel they are missing anything. Here is a link: Surprise! | Award-Winning Paleo Recipes | Nom Nom Paleo. No, I do not get a kickback or have any vested interest in the project. Just a huge fan.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Great job on staying Primal with the eating! I'm in a real good place with that too! Stuff from the garden is just beginning to come in, last night we had a big **s salad with different lettuces from the garden and amazing radishes! That and a Grass-Fed steak! I feel so good when I eat well and cleanly.

I was sort of sorry to read Marks Blog a couple of days ago with the poultry producer, because I'm pretty sure that the chicken I buy from the grocery store falls under the "bad" category and now I'll need to find a better supplier for way more $$. Oh well...
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I hope this tough work week passes quickly and you can get some good deep sleep when its all over. Have you thought about a white noise machine - or playing classical music while you sleep? I have to use ear plugs too - hubby snores up a storm! I found some very comfortable ones called Macks They don't block out ALL the noise that is right close - like hubby's growling - but they block out everything else. And they are very comfortable and very inexpensive. Basically just a soft silicone glob that you press into the outer canal of your ear. I throw them away after about 2 weeks and get a new set. I think I paid something like $2 for 4 plugs. Its nice not having to stuff those little foam things down inside my ear canal.

I think I'm going to order the new book from nom-nom also. I am in need of some fresh cooking ideas!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Yep, I have two machines, a fan, and some awesome ear plugs. Trouble is, they have a backhoe. But the most amazing thing happened today, I talked to my landlord about the noise and he went down the hill and talked to them, asked them if at all possible if they could work farther down during the morning and early PM - and they did! So I got some good sleep today and feel better. I think I can actually make it through this last shift. And I have the most awesome ER doc to work with too. I'm really throwing around the superlatives here, but I think they are appropriate.

David, I've been reading and doing some casual research on meat sources and come to the conclusion that if I have to buy conventional meat that beef is the only decent choice. Although the life of a cow on a feedlot is not wonderful, it is not as terrible as that of chickens in those horrid torture chamber places. I can get the hormone and antibiotic free stuff at not too onerous a cost. If only I had a freezer! I only buy chicken now when I can actually see the place where it comes from which of course is not reasonable for most people.

One of the doctors here at work raises ducks for meat. He is meticulous in his care of them and actually slaughters and processes them with his own hands or under his direct control, so I can be assured it is humane and clean as possible. Must get some of that! They are only available in the fall, and if possible he needs to know in the spring when he begins to raise them. But I have my name in for two already.

Did really well with food today until I found the honey jar...almond butter, rice crackers, honey. Well, I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I would love to find a source of farm raised chickens for us - but the cost is usually 3-4 times that of store bought. My conscience hasn't beat me up enough to make me stop buying from the store. I know they are trapped in cages and force-fed all kinds of junk --- I should really put more effort into my hunt.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I always feel like poultry is one of the 'dirtiest' meats, despite CW that it is healthy. It can't be eaten raw and you are supposed to treat it like toxic waste, being super careful about washing everything it touches, etc. The pH is scary. And let's face it, it is full of veins and tendons and weird looking stuff. And some paleo sources recommend limiting poultry because of the fats (I think it is the type of fat.)

Can't wait to get home! And sleep!

Pedidoc is offline Senior Member
    We've gone from eating mostly chicken and ground turkey to grass fed beef and pork. I'm not a big chicken breast fan anyway, i prefer thighs.
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I don't really eat chicken all that often, but Boy likes it and SWMBO prefers it over Beef and Pork. The article was interesting, and I will seek out local farms and buy in quantity when it is a little cheaper.

My nephew has a small farm and will be raising thanksgiving turkeys this year. If that pans out he may get into chickens too. I am hoping that will become a future source. He just bought a breeding pair of heritage pigs as well so I am hoping for pork too! But in any case I'm going to try my luck at the farmers' markets for a local poultry farm.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In the last year our little farmers market has exploded with local meats - the demand is really increasing around here. Makes me very happy! Most of the farms have open days where you can go and see how the animals are raised, what they eat, and how they are treated. I'll bet your nephew will do very well with his turkeys. Has he thought about ducks? Some types of duck eggs command astonishing prices.

Today is my birthday! Happy birthday to me! I sat on the rock in the meadow, how lucky I am! Lupines everywhere, wildflowers running amok. I made nom nom paleo's Asian Fried Cauliflower for my dinner. Added scallops and prosciutto. Also enjoyed a nice glass of red and three squares of dark chocolate with orange peel, my current favorite.

Glad to be finished with that stretch of work. It was grueling. Hard enough to work five nights in a row, but with no notice or preparation is doubly hard. Last night was very busy which was probably good in the long run. Slept well, nice and quiet! Choir practice tonight.