Page 277 of 590 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279287327377 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,770 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 277

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Here I am on Sunday afternoon. Slept well and got up at 1:30 PM. I don't know when I went to sleep. Woke up with BW Cat lying all along my back. The other two cats don't sleep in the cave. I'm going to sleep there all of the time. It is really comfortable with my new inflatable mattress and I think I will sleep better even at night when darkness isn't a problem.

Think there is shakshuka in my future -
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I get a big thrill when I see a recipe that looks interesting and realize I have all of the ingredients. And then it comes together so beautifully and tastes fantastic. This: And Here We Are...: Shakshukah: Edible Mediterranean Sunshine

Why have I never had shakshukah before? It is freakin' fantastic. I mean REAL shakshukah. I've cooked eggs in tomato sauce (yawn).
    Last edited by Siobhan; 05-19-2013 at 01:09 PM.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Mmm...Shakshuka. That's one of my favorites. I even have a little jingle that pops into my head when I think about it.

Was not the slightest bit tired last night and so went to sleep long, long after midnight. Then was wide awake at 5 AM. A bit chilly this morning and rainy. I made a fire in the woodstove, fed the felines, and made myself chicken soup with broth, an egg, some cream, coconut aminos, sriracha, fish sauce. I think that was suitably primal. Reading a book and chilling with the cats. Unfortunately BW Cat has a nasty scratch right under his left. eye. He received it from Oboe. Oh dear. But I have had all three on my lap at once - quite a feat as my lap is not that large. And I am trying to pet them all and read at the same time.

I am thinking the shakshuka would be really good with some roasted eggplant. Will try that today.

Here I sit at my computer with Oboe on my lap, the rain pounding on the skylights. It is tempting to just hibernate here, but I must get out, swim, visit with some humans. My back has been bothering me for several days. I haven't mentioned it, hoping it will go away, but I am sure I have some sciatic inflammation. It is just like last year at this same time. I need to avoid sitting.

I've been reading the books I found last week - Derek Tangye's Minack stories. They are wonderful but at the same time I have to be careful with them. Immersing myself in books where everyone and everything dies in the end, even if they had a wonderful life and a peaceful, natural death, is dangerous for the mood. I need to switch gears and read something really light-hearted. Or an extremely serious nonfiction work. I read the story of his first cat, a ginger tom called Monty, who came to live with he and his wife only three months after they were married and lived into his sixteenth year. Then I read his tribute to his lovely wife, one of the most moving memoirs I have ever read. Obviously the book is highly complimentary, fawning even, but he makes her so human and real. I am sure she was as absolutely wonderful as he describes. They were married for many decades and lived a very full and meaningful life together. They gave up glamorous and successful careers in London to become flower farmers in Cornwall, living in a decrepit and tiny cabin with no electricity or running water. They gradually improved the cabin, and lived there for the rest of their lives. It is so lovely and so bittersweet - a testimony to the ephemeral nature of all life. The good part is that the cottage is still there and the farm much as it was during their tenure. A woman who was once their employee now farms it with her partner.

Okay, must kick off the melancholy and get wet -

I am enjoying a deluxe gin & tonic while my steak and mushroom sauce finishes cooking - what a treat! I got some upscale tonic, which unfortunately is made with agave. An improvement, however, over the HFCS and nasty taste of the regular stuff. This tonic tastes fantastic, and has only 11 carbs per bottle. My gin is Hendricks, for which I will admit to having a bit of fetish. I don't buy it often as a bottle lasts me for over a year, but when I do the store clerk usually does a double take and makes a comment. Pricey stuff and they always say not many women buy it. Anyway, I'm having my upscale tonic with Henricks, a cucumber and lime. It is divine. I got some tenderloin on sale and the mushrooms are cooking up right now. Nom nom nom

Good swim despite the pool being too cold. The trouble is that if it is too cold, I get bronchospasms that persist even after I get used to the temperature. So I wheeze the whole time I am swimming. Annoying. (I am a respiratory therapist after all.) The bronchospasms disappear after about half an hour, just as I am finishing.

Today I was almost done swimming when in walked an older man, rock hard body, large quads, six pack, in a faded Speedo. My guess is Triathlete. His stroke, however, was not elegant. Very splashy but very fast. He passed me not once, not twice, but three times as I was doing one lap. Oh well. Speed is not my thing.

Stupendous lunch. After the half pound of beef tenderloin with mushrooms and G&T, I had half a banana quickly sauteed in butter with a pinch of pink Himalayan and honey. I am now officially uncomfortably full, something I have not experienced in a long while. I think it is good to do this once in a while, do you? Seems like I need to push the boundaries once in a while and fully saturate myself with primal goodies. I find that primal food is so satisfying that I just don't eat much - bulk-wise - and since I love to eat, I miss out on the sheer pleasure of eating. So once in a while I like to do that. Not often, though. Every six months maybe.

I'm going to sing with a new choir this summer, just got the repertoire. Greek, Russian, Czech, folk songs as well as classical. Sounds very exciting! I am so looking forward to it. Must get serious about practicing every day and especially working on my top notes.

Went for a nature walk around the property today. The rain cleared, the sun came out, and I realized that everything is growing so fast that soon I won't be able to walk around freely. So I went to see my tree friends and wish them a good summer. They are doing well. The property, like much of Maine, has some really boggy spots and at one point I unexpectedly sunk in up to my ankles. Luckily I was wearing my Merrill Pace Gloves, which go in the washing machine. I lolled around on a dry spot and watched the seagulls pulling mussels off the rocks. I was getting really overheated just sitting there making Vitamin D! Hiked back up the steepest part of the hill and suddenly realized I was in the middle of lovely green poison ivy patch. I got in the shower immediately (sans clothes) and threw everything I was wearing in the washing machine. Took a Claritin, not that it will help. But I'm not too worried. I was covered and I washed right away so I don't think it could get hold. Also I was well covered in sesame oil from my post-swim shower.

There is a show on PBS tonight about Mel Brooks, I think that will be good.

A chicken is all buttered and herbed up on my counter, awaiting its time in the oven. I'm not even remotely hungry, but it will provide me with food for the rest of the week when I am working.

Well, I have learned a valuable lesson. Roasting a chicken is not for me. Too much work, not enough reward. For one thing, I just don't like chicken that much. I think I've eaten it because, you know, everyone is supposed to like chicken. And I've certainly cooked my share of chickens. But roasting a whole one, not worth it for me. I am sure I will cook up some breasts or thighs to put in a nice thai coconut sauce, and probably some really crispy drumsticks from time to time. The only good thing is that I have the carcass for making stock. Even that is not that appealing because the food co-op makes good bone broth that I can buy for a very reasonable price.

I'm just a beef girl.