Page 258 of 590 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260268308358 ... LastLast
Results 2,571 to 2,580 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 258

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm asking my medically smart cyber friends as question................ can muscle cramps be caused by lack of salt in the diet? I have been suffering from constant hand/foot cramps - like every time I try to hold something in my hand my thumb or baby finger cramps. Or my toes will cramp for no apparent reason. Just had blood work done and potassium levels were perfect. Any ideas?
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Things I choose to let go:

All grains - including rice
    Refined sugars
    Legumes - including peanut butter
    Nuts and nut butters
    Alcohol and soda
    Chocolate
    Acidic foods, such as pineapple and tomato
    Coffee and tea
    Eggs
    Curry
    White potato
    Dairy - including butter

I'm choosing to do this......... I don't HAVE to.

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium is a big factor in cramps - and it is very difficult to get an accurate level with blood tests. I had constant cramps for months and since starting magnesium they are pretty much gone. I had a lot of trouble finding magnesium that would not precipitate nasty diarrhea - but found some awesome stuff on Amazon that works really well and no side effects at all. Angstrom minerals - magnesium. It is a liquid that you put under your tongue for a minute and then swallow the rest - it is absorbed so quickly that it doesn't cause trouble in the digestive system. If you read some of the stuff by Carolyn Dean about magnesium it is fascinating and we are almost all deficient in it because of the depletion in our soil and also our lifestyle. I highly recommend trying this ... I was having really bad cramps in my hamstring and other thigh muscles, even my belly would cramp up if I bent over at too sharp of an angle. I was using magnesium gel which certainly helped with the cramps as they happened but it was hard to measure how much I was getting ... I hope this is helpful.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Electrolytes - sodium, magnesium, potassium, and chloride - are all necessary and involved in muscle function. You need them all and in the right balance. If you are deficient, the muscle will contract, but not relax - a cramp. This sort of imbalance can be difficult to pin down with a blood test. Of those four electrolytes, magnesium is the hardest to get from your diet, so supplementation could indeed be helpful. Also make sure you are properly hydrated - dehydration will cause you to cramp quicker than anything. Hope this helps!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Woke up this morning, turned on the radio and found the world has gone mad. At least part of it. I was going to report on my hot flashes, breakfast, etc., but that all seems a bit silly right now.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Parts of this world are definitely mad, and that's why we need to hear about your hot flashes, breakfast, cats, etc. to keep us all from going insane. Lots of prayer and good thoughts and day to day simple things as well. We only have control of little things -- smiling at someone, feeding and loving animals, supporting others.

So, what did you have for breakfast and how are your cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Woke up this morning, turned on the radio and found the world has gone mad. At least part of it. I was going to report on my hot flashes, breakfast, etc., but that all seems a bit silly right now.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the help. I am sufficiently hydrated. I drink at least 4 16 oz glasses a day. I must be deficient in something cuz I cramp very easily. I'll look for the liquid magnesium - cuz any type I've tried so far caused a bowel clean out within an hour of taking it. Next time I have to have a colonscopy I'll just swallow a few magnesium pills cuz it has the same effect as that gallon of junk you have to drink! I wish Gaterade wasn't full of all that other crap, I'd try drinking that - although I hate the taste of it. I'll do some research on an electrolyte supplement --- if there is anything (pedialyte-ish)

Thanks again.............

Guess I need to turn on the tv - cuz I have no clue what mad things happened as I was sleeping........... not sure I want to know.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Things I choose to let go:

All grains - including rice
    Refined sugars
    Legumes - including peanut butter
    Nuts and nut butters
    Alcohol and soda
    Chocolate
    Acidic foods, such as pineapple and tomato
    Coffee and tea
    Eggs
    Curry
    White potato
    Dairy - including butter

I'm choosing to do this......... I don't HAVE to.

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Food is one of the great loves of my life. I was reminded of that yesterday when I turned to my Spanish language program and happily chose the Food Vocabulary section first. So in that spirit - This morning I had carnitas with a fried egg. Need I say this was delicious? My favorite breakfast ever. Played with the cats for quite a while. They are so much fun to be with, they take such joy in small things and live entirely in the moment. Oboe must know how beautiful he is, as he frequently poses in extremely flattering ways, his head slightly tilted. I really need to get a decent camera. I went to the grocery store and stocked up for the weekend. Right now I am making some paleo onion gravy which is actually going to be turned into onion soup and eaten with steak and a tapioca cheese bread. I decided to try making my own salmon/cream cheese spread as the one I have been buying is very pricey. It came out great. Cream cheese, smoked salmon pieces (the fishmonger gave these to me), chives, a splash of Scotch. I had some of this with some rice crackers and also treated myself to a hard cider. Unfortunately they didn't have my favorite cider; the one I bought is isn't nearly as good. Hint: if you're going to buy hard cider, buy the highest alcohol content as it will have less sugar and also have a crisper, cleaner flavor. Also get an organic one if possible. Basically you are going to get what you pay for.

Last night at choir my pastor gave me a book called The Wisdom Jesus by Cynthia Bourgeault. I started reading it last night and am finding it to be well-written, eye-opening, original - in short, a brilliant book. Just seeing it lying on the table is making me feel better. That I live in a world where people can write books like this, and a world where people give other people books.

I lived in Boston for six years, don't know if I mentioned that ever. I stood in that same place at the finish line of the marathon for four of those six years. All of this is really rattling me. I was walking around in the grocery store and realized my knees were wobbling. Must really call on my inner strength and coping mechanisms. And those kitties, who always provide warm, soft cuddles and those heartwarming purrs.

DCarr10760 is online now Senior Member
    So many connections! I stood in the very spot where the bombs went off last week when I was there. My Nephew was watching the finish and was a block away from the bombs. My Niece's husband was at MIT last night when the mayhem started there, though he didn't see any of it. I suppose you can't live in New England and not know somebody or somebody who knows somebody directly affected by this tragedy, or Newtown, or 9-11.

It is unsettling.
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 04-19-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, and many of my friends here in Maine are either from Mass or spent a great deal of time there. It is, after all, where the jobs are. So weird to think it is on lockdown.

Slept quite well for my afternoon siesta, even with all going on. When I enter the magic sleeping cave, I leave the real world behind...