Page 257 of 515 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267307357 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 5147

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 257

Siobhan is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by lopisheep View Post
    Just started a very good book by Madeleine Albright called PRAGUE WINTER (Czechoslovakia from 1937 to 1948). You might enjoy it. She didn't even know she was Jewish until many years after the war! She was little during the war. She was the secretary of state (first woman) and writes quite well.
    I've read that book, it's very good! I'm a great admirer of Albright, she's a hero of mine. What a life and career! Very inspiring.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    Sio, i am having so much fun on Duolingo. I've finished basic one in Italian but keep going back thru it to get perfect before moving on. At first, my iPad didn't like the program at all, but I changed a few settings and now she's settled down. DH, of course, thinks i've lost my mind. I will spend at least an hour a day on it. Foreign languages have always been very hard for me. I've blamed it on being very left handed, but I'm sticking with it this time. There may be a trip to Italy in my future!!
    I'm so glad you like it! I really like it, find myself looking forward to doing it. Oddly, I enjoy speaking, which has always been a big downfall for me. Whoever made the program has managed to hit the the right spots in the brain to both help you learn and make it pleasurable. But it doesn't coddle you either. I powered through the first three lessons and then decided to go back and redo them to fix them in my head.

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Had an enjoyable watching TV last night. It is something I rarely do, although I watch programs on the computer sometimes. Pretty much always PBS. Lately I've enjoyed "Mr Selfridge" and "Call the Midwife." Last night I was surprised to find a program of Hawaiian music that brought tears to my eyes - I used to travel there frequently and I miss it dearly. There were two programs about concentration camp survivors that were very moving and inspiring. One was about a woman who was the only survivor in her family, and the influence on her daughter's art. The other was about an Auschwitz survivor who turned to art very late in life after having a stroke and produced startling images of that time. Then there was a live show about the bombing in Boston. I don't often spend the evening watching television, but sometimes it is good. Tonight there is a memorial service at church to pray for the bombing victims, then it is science night on PBS - a show about eels and one about Australia. Weird juxtaposition, huh?

Had turkey burgers for brekkie. Last night after my feast, which I finished at about 6 PM, I was not hungry at all and didn't find myself roaming the cupboards at 10 PM. Was up early and did housework for an hour or so.

I'm reading a book called Mrs. Queen Takes the Train by William Kuhn. I am surprisingly wrapped up in it. One of those books where you look forward to finding out what happens next, interesting and compelling characters. One of those happy/sad books.

Did a few errands today. Swept out garage and put tires in car in prep for tomorrow's oil change/tire change. Yeah, it better not snow! Went for a hike on my favorite trail. The last time I was there I was on snowshoes. Paid some bills. Ate some smoked salmon on rice crackers. Roasted a sheet of nori and ate that. Killed some wasps.

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Lol! I hope you don't get a big old storm like we have just had, 18+ inches of snow. But then I guess if you do you'll just have to call in Paid bills and killed wasps - sounds like a productive day!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 218 lbs
    S.T. goals: stabilize hormones, JUDDD, sleep early and long
    LTG: Find my sweet spot with which foods work for me and start losing weight
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

Just take it one bite at a time ...

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Yep. Yesterday's report sounds good. Productively balanced
    Think about the feel of looser shirts
    Keep it simple
    Eat really tasty food

Yes due to my landlord's ennui regarding the wasps the cats and I are learning to dispatch them, so far without damage.

Here I am getting my tires changed, enduring blaring music, inane conversations, and a growing hunger. I woke up very late and had to rush off. Thankfully that is because I experienced only one hot flash last night! Slept great for the first time in ages. It was wonderful! I might still be asleep if not for the tire appointment. I have not had a daytime hot flash for three days now. This is marvelous.

Just listened to the interfaith service in Boston with President Obama, Mayor Menino, Governor Patrick, Cardinal O'Malley, and many others. I was finishing up the carnitas (shredding the meat and removing any bones and nasty bits) and the tears were streaming down my face...I hooked a dishtowel on my arm so I could wipe my eyes and not cry into the carnitas.

I was thinking about how different it is to deal with something like this. About a month ago three young people were brought into our little ED after a truck accident, two of them critical. How is it different? Well, everyone knows vehicles can be dangerous. It was an accident. Tragic, absolutely. But an accident. I understand that accidents happen. But for completely innocent people to be injured or killed deliberately by someone setting a bomb to go off? There is no compartment in the brain for this to fit into.

On a more cheerful note, I have not had a hot flash today. I can't let myself believe that torment is over, but hey, what if it is? Too early to call, but I am grateful for having at least a respite.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I was crying, too. It was a beautiful service for a tragic event.

JudyCr is online now Senior Member
    TV news this morning of fans at Bruins game last nite singing the national anthem had us crying at 6am.