Page 226 of 590 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276326 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,260 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 226

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh yes, chocolate improves them mightily. And you can add just about anything you want - cinnamon, almonds or almond flavor, all sorts. They travel well too.

Meyer lemons can indeed be pricey. At Whole Foods you need to take out a second mortgage. I'll try the sweet limes, maybe I can find those.

Didn't sleep that well, crazy dreams!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Mark certainly has me using more spices. I have turmeric tea every day, also ginger, cinnamon, chili powder, curry, all sorts of spices.

Where does all this energy come from? Got up today, called a couple of friends, NewMan, did errands, swam. Now off to choir.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Whew. Choir last night. Grueling two hours! The other choir that will be performing with us was there. I'll just say I didn't like the ones I interacted with and leave it at that. But the music is coming along well and it is getting really fun as I learn it and gain confidence.

Very little sleep, then up and off to Portland for a seminar on Smoking Cessation Counseling. It was really, really good - so good that I want to continue and maybe get a certificate in interventional motivation counseling. I can't believe I am thinking of this because it is the last thing I would have ever thought of. Back home, very tired on drive back! Had very little to eat, the breakfast and lunch were carb feasts and gluten-heavy besides. Pasta with bread, yuck. Good thing I took some emergency spiced ground beef patties, which are my current fixation. They are so good! Bible study tonight (we only do this during Lent) and I really feel I should go as I have promised and I really like it and we only have a few sessions a year. Only five this year!

Came home and had a cup of tea and a tapioca bread. I feel like having some fish, maybe later.

Slept very, very late today. Am enjoying lying around being lazy - my only chance to do so this week. I woke up quiet early, read a little and went back to sleep for FOUR hours. You could say I was in a bit of a sleep deficit. Woke up and made some cheese bread. Ate one with two scrambled eggs with grass-fed beef. Feeling great!

I have been thinking more and more of the interventional counseling and how I might pursue it and integrate it into my present job. It would be so great to feel like I was doing something really positive and more focused on wellness rather than just enabling sick people to remain sick and get even sicker. To be able to approach people and say, "You can take control of this, and help is available. You can empower yourself and change your life." THAT would be cool. Of course I wouldn't say it quite so directly because that would be a huge turnoff and I would sound like a snake oil salesman. And I think I would be good at it, quite honestly.

A weird thing happened. We did an exercise where we had to choose a number from 1 through 10 that represents where we are in changing a health-related habit. There was no number for 'completely satisfied, met all goals.' No. 1 is "I am not going to change, no matter how dangerous my habit." No. 10 was "I'm ready to change." I just stood off to the side of No. 10 and listened and learned. Because honestly, I have nothing to change. I would like to eat less sugar, but I have already accomplished most of that goal and I am confident of my present efforts to further reduce sugar. I move slowly alot, I do sprints, I engage in fun exercise on a regular basis, I lift heavy things. All my labs and vitals are ideal. (You are forgiven for having to excuse yourself to go throw up now.) But other people's stories were very distressing. In hearing about diet, people just don't get it. Saying, "I'm going to stop eating red meat and eat more vegetables," thinking that is going to solve all their problems. Never suspecting that maybe the half a loaf of bread a day they are consuming is causing more problems than all of the red meat in the world. Especially when you throw in the supposedly healthy processed breakfast cereal, snackwell cookies (non-fat!) and sugar-laden condiments. So sad.

Called NewMan today. Not sure how that is going, not sure I want it to go anywhere, not sure he does either. Nothing to report there.

Tonight is church choir and tomorrow is a performance of HMS Pinafore - a local production that several people I know are performing in. Then Saturday night is work. Busy, good busy.

I have a great desire to drive to the next town and look around in the shops. I have NO money but I feel like indulging in perusal of consumer goods. It is of course snowing, but there is no accumulation, a common event around here. It has snowed every single day for at least a week but it doesn't stick.

Slept great, woke up to a little dusting of snow. Southern parts of NE got a lot, but the storm didn't reach up here. Choir last night went well, but I don't think I will go to church Sunday morning. I'm working Saturday night, have Sunday night off, then three nights in a row. I have to plan carefully in order to not get too tired. Also, there is a performance at the church on Sunday afternoon that I would like to attend, and I can't do both.

I continue my love affair with spiced ground beef. I cooked up a batch this morning. I even purchased one of those patty makers. It works really, really well! I bought a larger package of ground beef that was on sale, just over 1.5 lbs. Mixed in two eggs and the usual boatload of spices. Cooked at 375 F for 12 minutes, then flipped and 8 more minutes. I put some cheese on one for the last few minutes, and ate it with homemade ketchup (no sugar). I think the egg really makes the difference. The texture is nicer, more tender, and the patties hold together well.

Kumquats! Bought a package of those yesterday and I can't stop eating them. I can't believe how good they are. Is this some kind of winter thing, gorging on citrus? I can't believe citrus peel is so good. No bad effects so far. (Somehow this just seems like it would cause some kind of intestinal upset.)

I also bought a jigsaw puzzle on sale. It is meant for kids and has 300 pieces. What this means in reality is that it is challenging enough to be fun but not so challenging as to be tedious. The picture is terrific. It's called "Kling Klang Gloria" and is a picture from a German children's songbook made in the 1920's. It has two quaintly dressed people dancing in an old-fashioned room. The colors are wonderful and it makes me smile every time I look at it. I had it halfway finished before choir, and finished it afterwards. Very relaxing way to spend a couple of hours. The carnivores tried to 'help' but I fended them off.

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    And hence why I live in Texas. Today a sunny 72 and hitting high 80s by next week!
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Back from swimming. I got my swim cap back! It got stolen a couple of weeks ago, along with my goggles. I got the goggles back - saw someone with them and insisted on their return - but hadn't seen the cap. I occurred to me today that the person who took it probably just left it lying around. And that is what happened. The lifeguards had it. I'm glad to have it back because it is really a nice cap. It is too distinctive to steal - it is a green flower pattern. That's one reason why I bought it. (Of course I also like it, but I figured no one would steal anything so showy.)

Not really hungry. Had the meat patty this AM but nothing since. Gonna read and hang out and relax.

Went to a local concert last night - great fun! My face hurt from smiling so much. I indulged in popcorn after learning it is popped in coconut oil. Came home and finished the book I am reading about Everest, a bit of an obsession of mine. All in all a good evening. Fell asleep easily and woke up at some point nauseated - VERY nauseated. Bowed to the great porcelain god for a short while. Will not be tempted by popcorn for a good long while. Went back to sleep, slept fine, and woke up late. I have to work tonight, must go to library.

I have come up with a plan for making myself dark, cool sleeping quarters. Although summer is still far away, I have vivid memories of how hot it was here in my light-filled loft, and the sun burning through the skylights. There is a roomy central hallway and landing in my little home. It contains one skylight that I can reach easily (some are far, far overhead) and opens into three other rooms, all of which have doors that shut firmly. There is an attic above. I am thinking that I will buy a good quality cot and mattress pad and these will fit in the hall or on the landing with no problem. A couple of fans will provide white noise and cooling. I will leave one of the doors cracked slightly for the carnivores, and also to provide some ventilation. I can hang a blackout curtain over it. Yes, I think this will work.

Feeling really good despite vomiting in the night. D@mn corn!

Another good thing to report. If there are any die-hards out there who have been reading this for awhile, some time ago I transitioned my cats to a better quality (no gluten) food, but failed to get them on a whole food diet. I decided to fight the good fight again after finding some reasonably priced high-quality food at the food co-op. It is called simply "Natural Value" and the first six ingredients are either chicken or fish. It contains rice and oats but they are way down on the list. A regular sized can costs $1.37, so it is comparable to Fancy Feast. Slim Cat is eating it, and he is the acid-test. BW Cat will eat anything. I have only tried the seafood because that is what Slim Cat likes the most. I will pick up some more and see what happens.

I am still having my smell problem. I just don't smell good! When I wake up in the morning I stink. I don't think I smelled this bad before primal. Although maybe I did? I certainly needed regular showers. Weird.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    About celiac testing of infants...

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    That is fascinating! I wonder why? Other than the obvious, of course. (Because they might have it...)
    Because it is an extremely serious illness for infants to have, which can result is lots of debilitating symptoms if not treated, including stunting of growth.