Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 222

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Please be safe driving home.......
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Here I am in the middle of the night. It is raining now; has been for awhile. It was supposed to snow all night, 5 inches or thereabouts. So who knows. Maybe it will start again and maybe it won't.

Ate some carnitas with all of the fixings. Then had some blackberries. I brought a lot of food in case I got stuck here but it is looking good right now. In any case it isn't windy, that really helps. It is always good to have lots of primal stuff on hand.

Tonight someone who is quite overweight took me aside and asked me about swimming - apparently there is a rumor that I lost a lot of weight by swimming. Funny how there are all sorts of rumors about how I lost weight but no one really asks me. I said that I love swimming and encourage everyone to do so if they think they might enjoy it, but it is not a weight loss bullet. We need to exercise because our bodies are meant to move. He was very disappointed. His kids are taking up swimming and I guess they are pretty overweight. I told him that often one thing leads to another, and if they enjoy swimming it might lead them to make other positive changes in their lives.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Did you point him in a direction of diet? If he's come to you asking questions he's probably at a point of desperation. Heck... I was at a point of desperation when I started paleo. I waited til I started to lose my vision... I bet your co-worker would be receptive.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

I did, and he totally shut down. "We're Italian, we live on pasta!" I just said it is all about choices. I didn't add the snarky comment that I have spent a great deal of time in Italy, and they don't really eat all that much pasta - nothing like we do. They don't boil up a pound of the stuff and douse it in huge quantities of sauce. They eat lots of veg and fruit and yes, meat. They have a small side of lightly dressed pasta. They also don't use the weird oils that we are so fond of. I don't remember seeing any canola oil. Fifty different kinds of olive oil, yes. Their gelato servings are literally one-tenth of what we would eat. Anyway.

Very busy night and I was really tired driving home this morning. I slept well but not very long - 4 hours - but am wide awake now and am contemplating a swim. Just had two scrambled eggs with scallions and pancetta. Choir tonight.

Oh, and the snow changed to rain and it rained all night instead of snowing. Weird. So we have ended up with less snow that we had and the roads were nice and clear. Good thing too!
    Last edited by Siobhan; 02-28-2013 at 11:46 AM.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Went to the pool and got my cap and goggles stolen. Got the goggles back but not the cap. Very, very annoying. In the words of Henri, Le Chat Noir of internet cat video fame, "I'm surrounded by morons." Swam very hard and did some sprints. Am working on my breathing. Instead of exhaling more or less constantly while underwater, I am holding my breath until just before I am ready to breathe. I am finding this to be much more effective and I can swim a lot farther on each breath with more comfort. But it takes practice!

Just had the last of the baba ganoush with some bell peppers and olives. I need some more veg, I am pretty much out now. Lots of meat just isn't palatable to me without some veg. Even really good stuff like my carnitas. I am, however, enjoying a Crispin hard cider. Love that stuff.

Talked to NewMan a few minutes ago. Looks like we're not going to get together this weekend because of other commitments on both sides, also the weather is horrible. I am still cautiously optimistic that things will progress.

Very, very excited about Parsifal this weekend. I love Wagner's operas to a fairly unhealthy degree.

Although money is very tight, I ordered a new music folder. I have been keeping the Brahms Requiem in a 3-ring binder, which is what we are provided with, but it is too heavy and very hard to hold. Makes my hands hurt. So I have splurged on a deluxe choir folder and I can use it for church when I am done with the Requiem. This has nothing to with primal, but there it is.

Interestingly Italians have a high rate of celiac disease.
    Female 53

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Siobhan, have you seen the Ring Cycle? I was raised on that opera and the attached music.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

I have seen the Ring Cycle, sadly only once in person, but on video many times. Yes, I'm a huge fan. In fact kind of obsessed with it in many ways. It is so archetypal that one can read almost anything one wants into it, and it means different things to me at different times in my life. And different parts stand out for me at different life stages also.

I've always lacked a good response when people respond to any question or situation with, "I'm Italian (...Irish...German...Polish) so I know." For one thing, your own family experience is not definitive. And your grandmother's recipe may not actually be all that good. I've seen plenty of grandmothers who think Crisco is healthy and they also embrace things like Campbell's Soup and Potato Buds. Once I pushed for a gnocchi recipe that was supposed to be the world's best, authentic Italian from her grandmother, etc. (I had not actually eaten it, just heard about it) and was a bit taken aback when it called for Potato Buds! I had it explained to me, very condescendingly, that this is necessary because boiling potato makes them too wet. I replied, even more condescendingly, that a few minutes back in the hot pan after draining will dry the potatoes, or a few minutes in the oven can accomplish the same goal. Didn't get invited back to that party! Of course I don't eat potatoes any more! And I have no desire to eat gnocchi. I put all those things in the category of "It sounds like it will be really good and it looks really good but when I actually eat it, it isn't that good." That goes for most people's grandmother's recipes. No offense, I'm sure she is or was a fine woman, but everyone thinks their grandma is the best cook or whatever. Except for me, I had one grandma who cooked good stuff and one who was a disaster in the kitchen. (Really digressing here)

Woke up at 4:30 AM STARVING. Made a smoothie, also had some almond butter. Then I was hungry again this morning. Too many carbs, no doubt! Had an artichoke and some bacon.

I really like the success story today, she looks so strong and healthy! I wish all young women who are struggling with weight issues could read her story and learn from it.

I just finished reading it nd thought the same thing.
    Female 53