Page 194 of 590 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244294 ... LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 194

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I was just reading Mark's post today and the comments following and I got the strangest idea that I should start hugging my patients. Most of them are elderly, of course. I am NOT NOT NOT a huggy kind of person. In fact I'm pretty much the opposite. Touching is not my thing. Plus the obvious infection control issues. But I'll bet 99% of my patients would get more benefit from a good ole hug than all the crap I normally give them.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

So much for the shoveling. My car went through the snow like a dream. Yay for snow tires! The main road is fine.

And now it is raining!
    Last edited by Siobhan; 01-16-2013 at 12:52 PM.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Yeah, I was searching MDA looking for Mark's take on cashews, which I think is somewhere...can't find it,
    Mark says, "Cashews are the seeds of the cashew apple, a delicacy of Brazil,..."
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-i...s-scrutinized/
    Dear Mark: Nuts | Mark's Daily Apple

Thank you! I thought I remembered reading one of Mark's posts about cashews. Hey, Mark says they are primal! WOOT! He does, no surprise here, caution against eating too many. We all know they are just about the tastiest tiny things on the planet.

Work is insanely busy. Seriously - there should be two of me. Too much work for one person, especially with critical patients in different areas of the hospital. I'm doing the best I can. I just hate it when I know my best isn't good enough. Hate it hate it hate it! We need another person here during flu season, particularly this flu season. In addition, my co-workers decided to leave early and didn't finish work during the day, thoughtfully leaving it for me. There should have been three of them here, but when I came in one lonely person was here trying to finish some things...hate to sound peevish, but frankly she isn't one of the better workers. She shouldn't be left alone here. Anyway. Enough of that.

Slept well. I've figured out at least one thing. I'm wearing TWO sleep masks. One just wasn't cutting it. Sounds weird. It is weird. But it works.

Ate the BAS I made for last night but didn't eat. When I got home this morning I was quite hungry and had a small bowl of bone broth. This seems to be a good pre-sleep light meal.

I have a new plan that I'm excited about. For the first time ever in my life, I'm going to buy a bikini. Not to wear in public. To sunbathe in. Starting in April we should have some days that will be warm enough for a few minutes of skin time. I'll start looking at the thrift shop. For those of you who have followed my thrift shop adventures, it will come as no surprise that I will probably be able to get a brand-new one there. I'm really interested to see if there is any effect on my stomach and back, which have not been exposed to the sun in my adult life. Who am I fooling, never in my life. Last summer I never got a sunburn, the first time ever. I was in the sun a lot, but I never actually sunbathed or sought out the sun or tried to tan. I am going to protect my face, though, and the back of my hands. They have had enough sun, or get enough in any case.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I hear ya on the cashew nummminess!!!! I don't buy them because I can't stop eating them. My son was asking about pistachios - primal/paleo??? anyone know? ............. he's pretty strictly Paleo, but is in need of more carb options. He eats heavily into the Omega 6 catagory - chicken and eggs (not free range) and is looking for more food options. Not a fish lover at all! overall a pretty picky eater (my bad........ should have been better at teaching him to eat veggies when he was little guy).
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Pistachios are ok, so far as I know. I can only keep around the shell on, salted variety. Any other kind and I over do it.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

tomi is offline Senior Member
    thanks, NK! I'll pass on the info to my son. I told him to do some research - but he's crazy busy with all the "just bought a house" stuff!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Slept well. I've figured out at least one thing. I'm wearing TWO sleep masks. One just wasn't cutting it. Sounds weird. It is weird. But it works.
    I work nights, so sleep with a mask daily.... I have discovered that if I wear it upside down, it works better.... and Melatonin too...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks, I keep meaning to start taking melatonin again and forgetting! I know that will really help.

Pistachios are good, also macadamias, almonds and walnuts. The trouble with all nuts is the omega 6 content. I think macadamias are the lowest in omega 6. Your son might think about taking a supplement. I take one when I'm not eating a lot of fish. Since I started bringing home large amounts of smoked salmon I haven't been using it much.

Found out the pastor of my church has been hospitalized with complications from surgery she had at the end of December. Very worried about that. She is a prime example of where CW and the SAD get you. She is overweight and catches every bug that goes by. She is 'allergic' to a lot of stuff and her diet is normal SAD - you know, cheese pizza from a box is health food because it says 'low-fat.' She had noticed my transformation from, well, someone like her, to someone who is never sick, works very hard, and wears a size four. I tried to talk to her about primal, but she wouldn't even listen, insisted she is allergic to fat. When she said she was having surgery, I was pretty concerned simply because her health is not good. She is a prime example of what Mark mentioned, a woman who sacrifices her health for her family. She is only in her mid-fifties.

Well, otherwise all is well. I am devouring Mark's new book. It is great stuff. There isn't a lot about diet, at least not yet. Actually, I am reading it quite slowly with the attention that I normally give to my devotional readings. I read a section and think about it for awhile. Something that I find very interesting about Mark is that he is obviously a tense, driven, ambitious person who very much wants to succeed in ways that are traditional in our modern society, yet he strives to do this within the ancestral health context. He is not a New Agey touchy feely guy yet he embraces the more positive aspects of that movement. He is highly competitive, but recognizes that not everyone is. You can be yourself and live up to your evolutionary potential.

Okay, enough time on the computer - time for real life.