Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 193

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Me too
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Hey ladies (and gents).. Found a tasty treat!! Steve's Original Paleo Krunch, grainless granola bar
    "Delicious clusters of coconut, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds & honey

Steves Original

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Update: I see where this particular brand has been introduced on MDA before,
    but I am quite impressed, folks. Cut one of the original bars in half and ate at 8am,
    It's about 11:30 now and not even thinking about lunch yet.. So very filling.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I'll have to look for those. I'm always trying to get the food co-op interested in paleo stuff. They have plenty of processed gluten-free junk full of rice, potatoes, etc. but haven't jumped on the paleo bandwagon. They are pretty well married to their grains! The staff looks pretty much like you would expect - young, chubby hippie types. No make-up, nondescript hair. You know - vegans. No roses in those cheeks!

Well, work kicked my @ss last night. When we have critical patients a lot falls on me because we don't have a lot of staff and I'm the breathing girl. To make it worse we had a really sick kid, which is really, really stressful. Enough of that.

Just had a plateful of carnitas with all the fixin's. If you make carnitas, I highly recommend going all the way with salsa, sour cream, avocado, obviously omitting stuff you don't do. But they really turn the dish into something special. Then had half a grapefruit.

Must go do some errands. I wonder if Mark's book has arrived? The shipping is taking forever.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Tonight is choir practice for the new choir I've joined. Brahms Requiem ein Deutsch. Yep. What have I gotten myself into? This is quite a stretch for me! The soprano part is really high. I looked at the alto part and it is...really high. Maybe I should have joined the tenor section.

Had a BAS with turkey. After reading Mark's post today I went to the expensive oil and vinegar store and bought a nice bottle of balsamic. I was using that regularly until a couple of months ago when I ran out and didn't buy more for some reason. The thing is, it is so good that I eat salad regularly when I have it. In fact I never find myself throwing away spoiled greens. That justifies the cost. I noticed they have squash seed oils! Probably full of PUFAs but interesting.

AND...dum dum dum DUM...Mark's book arrived! I've been paging through it, thinking, YES! I KNOW THAT! OF COURSE! In one chapter he talks about being in water, and how relaxing it is to float - the body is supported and the parasympathetic nervous system is stimulated, which aids digestion. And submerging oneself in water forces one to live totally in the moment and fully experience all the senses. These are things I do all of the time, but I didn't realize why I found them so profoundly affecting. There is a really lovely picture of Mark and Carrie on the back cover, walking on a beach away from the camera.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

campanella is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. I want to go float now. Looking forward to summer.

Yes!! I know what you mean about wanting to join the tenors sometimes!! But I listen to that requiem all the time and it's beautiful.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    One thing I have always wanted to do was float in a sensory deprivation tank. Someday...

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Just had a plateful of carnitas with all the fixin's. If you make carnitas, I highly recommend going all the way with salsa, sour cream, avocado, obviously omitting stuff you don't do. But they really turn the dish into something special.
    Totally agree. And the cilantro pesto from the new PB sauces cookbook is also amazing on top, along with the rest of the stuff.

Nice that you got Mark's new book. Amazon says mine will arrive on Thursday. I think this book was a long time in the making, Mark was talking about this book 2 years ago at PrimalCon, and thought it would be out in late 2011, so it would seem he put a lot into it.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post

You know what is really bumming me out? Cashews are legumes. I thought they were nuts! They grow on trees! I've seen them. But they're legumes. Oh well, just another reason to be very sparing in my intake. Grumble...grumble...grumble...
    Even Google is no help on this. I've seen cashews are a legume, nut, and seed. Ack. Fortunately (or not) I can't keep them in the house, because no matter how many I bought they'd be gone by the next day. Oh well, I guess I'll have to console myself with something boring and primal - like lox and goat cheese.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Yeah, I was searching MDA looking for Mark's take on cashews, which I think is somewhere...can't find it, although there is a lot of discussion about cashews. I too really should not keep the addictive little devils in the house, but I have just perfected a cashew chicken that replaced my peanut chicken. Although I need to get off my dogma horse and just have it once in a while and not get my knickers in a twist over it. Cashew are without a doubt my favorite nut, even if they aren't nuts. I might explore macadamia butter next.

Oh yes, the cilantro - don't forget the cilantro on those carnitas! Cilantro on just about everything - I'm a fan.

I realized this morning that joining this choir to sing the Brahms Requiem is just about the smartest thing I've done in recent memory. There is a lot of camaraderie, the people are great, and when will I ever again have the chance to sing this wonderful piece with an 80-voice choir and orchestra? Totally primal activity! Being part of a group, creating something bigger than oneself, forging new alliances - got it all! And it's fun. I'm not a competitive person and I'm not an athlete, not to mention that any kind of group sport activity for adults around here is nonexistent. So choral singing fits very well for me.

We got a lot of snow today! I am trying a new sleeping arrangement. Last night I stayed up quite late, and woke up after 6 hours or so. Normally I would have just got up and started my day, and rested later in the afternoon. But this morning I made a cup of herbal tea, read for a while, and went back to bed when I got sleepy. Slept for four hours, woke up about 1 PM, which is about when I wake up when I have worked the night before. So now the afternoon is my 'awake time.' I'll see how this works. Anyway, I should go investigate the driveway and see if I can negotiate it. Even with my new tires, I won't be able to make it through really deep snow. And of course the plow has gone by many times, so the end of the driveway will be horrible. The shoveling will be my moving slowly and heavy lifting today.

I wasn't going to weigh myself until later in the month, but I did - 132 lbs. Last night I tried on a pair of pants I bought at the thrift shop ages ago that were a bit small, and they fit well now. All these thrift shop buys have left me with a ridiculous amount of clothes. I estimate I spent less than $100 - well under $100 - on my new wardrobe.