Page 181 of 590 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231281 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 181

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    I would submit my story, but I don't have any before pics and no way of taking any decent after pics.
    Success stories are about more than just before and after pictures. You should definitely write yours up!

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I didn't post at all yesterday! Nothing to report. Lots of moving slowly and lifting heavy things. Shoveled snow for a looooooong time. Can't tell if my shovelgloving 1-2 times a week over the past few months has helped or not. I'm still standing, so I guess it did. Also swam, which may have been a bit of overkill, but I wanted to really badly. The pool is jammed these days! Luckily the college kids tend to come in packs and they share lanes, and the young kids also share lanes - in fact they seem to prefer it. Only we old farts like our own lanes. Yesterday a decent looking old fart looked me over in the sauna and started chatting. I got pretty turned off when he 1) mentioned his wife and 2) told me how he didn't get any snow on his part of the peninsula and he was all upset about that because it's so pretty. Now I think snow is pretty too, but when I've just spent 3+ hours shoveling and have gotten stuck twice I don't really want to hear some old retired geezer talk about how pretty it is. I always want to say, "If you like it so much, just come on over. The shovels are right inside the garage door. I'll give you an hour's head start, please have a nice spot for my car ready."

Weighed myself this morning, something I have not done for a long time. 135. Pretty happy with that. Can't believe I've maintained over the holidays, although I don't have the temptations many people do, I still have plenty. And I indulged myself shamelessly on several occasions. Also I drank too much, something that has to stop. In fact it will. I'm sworn off the juice for awhile. Think of the money I will save! I have a stock of nice herbal teas to help me through those cold dark evenings when it is tempting to pop a cork.

The carnivores are wild! They woke me up at 5 AM. The full moon was right above the skylights and the room was so light I probably could have read by it. There was a lot of romping and galloping and those weird vocalizations that cats make - howling and chirping. Slim Cat kept coming up to sit by my head and lay his paw on my face. Funny habit of his. I finally got up and fed them. That just wound them up even more! I think it is hard for them because with the snow there isn't much to look at right now.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Way to go holding steady. Despite the indulgences, you swam or moved daily, which I greatly admire. I do envy the fact you can control your food sources so easily - not that I want to do away with DH & DS, but the junk they insist on bringing into the house.....
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Holding steady over the holidays! Now that's the spot so many of us want to get to.

I guess, be glad that he DID mention his wife. The easy way to signal, 'I'm not trying anything, just having a fun conversation with another human being'. (I have no Pollyanna advice for the snow thing! )

Oh Sabine, you are so kind - mentioning the wife is a common ploy married men use to signal their availability. It's that weird reverse logic deal. Also lets you know right away that there won't be any 'dating' so don't bother thinking they're going to take you to dinner first. Run, run!

I don't think I would be able to do this with non-primal people in the house. For one thing, they would probably eat my good primal food and leave their junk, and I would be hungry and the next thing you know, whammo! I would be consuming the junk. The way it is now the only thing I can really overindulge in is fruit. Much as I love meat, I can't overindulge in it. Fat, now that's another story, but fat needs a vehicle to get into your mouth. Yes, I do eat butter and coconut oil right out of the jar, but not that much. Just rambling here. I wonder what I would do if I was with, say, a baker. Probably would be hopeless.

I made up the barbecue spice mix from Mark's book and mixed it into some ground beef along with an egg. Am cooking up the patties now, they will be good to have around later in the day when I'm eating something before work (a good time to go heavy on protein and fat) and also making up my work food. I have some cashew chicken that I made last night also. I'm still tinkering with the recipe. It's good but not great. Missing something, I don't know what. Salt maybe, but I don't want to add more salt. Anyone else found your salt consumption has dropped dramatically? I rarely add it when I'm cooking now. I used to add generous amounts to every cooking pot. Now I just grind up a little pink Himalayan on the finished product and call it good.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Really? How strange. I guess I am just too married to figure this stuff out. Heaven help me if Honey kicks the bucket at a young age.

I am really looking forward to getting the Sauce book, mostly from hearing you talk about the deliciousness. Soon, soon!

Another thing that is amazing to me about Mark is that his family isn't primal - his kids and wife are all some degree of vegetarian. His in-laws are die-hard vegans or something like that. He even went on a vegan/vegetarian cruise! I would have died. Seriously, I love food too much to make a sacrifice like that. I would have shown up with a suitcase full of cooked bacon. (You know, vegan crack)

I just realized I am coming up on eight months of primal living. How many people can honestly say they have stuck to a diet for eight months and are looking forward to the next eight? And have been successful on said diet, with only small setbacks? And have managed to make other lifestyle changes as well, becoming happier, calmer, and more active? I really hate that this diet is not more mainstream and the media continues to portray it as some weird fad and evolutionary types as nut cases. I heard a radio interview with some guy who just published a vegan cookbook. The recipe he provided on air was chock-full of sugar and refined carbs. He was lamenting that his wife has lapsed and eats fish and chicken sometimes, but he is working on her to go vegan again, and also raising his daughter as a vegan. Child abuse, IMHO. Giving her sugar instead of fat for her developing brain? But sure to stock up on Ritalin, dude, because when she gets into school she's gonna need it -

ragwort is offline Senior Member
    Hahahaha!!! "vegan crack" ... this is the best Sioban, made me spray my keyboard with herbal tea!!

I've just counted up and I am 10 months into this 'diet'. Like you am really looking forward to the next 10 too! I do envy you having such control over your food, but husband joins in now with " well if the children are out it makes sense to eat the same" He doesn't want the science BUT has noticed my rather effortless weight loss and what's not to like about steak for dinner? Daughter 2 picks at the edges but is not too keen on meat (especially with legs or wings!). Daughter 1 is a student and just eats anything and everything when home for the holidays!

My brother has just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and fearing he would be given the worst advice I decided to broach the PB wisdom with him ... and found him listening ... he promised to do his own research, but already he's been back to ask me stuff, I am so relieved. He says he wants to eat 'real' food and would prefer to follow a low carb/primal route .. Yey!!

I am thinking of buying the sauce book on your recommendation as they all sound so delicious and quick and easy. I'll let you know how I get on. It is so easy to get stuck in a taste rut.

I remember when I was a child, maybe 7 or so, and my sister was around 10, she looked up from her dinner plate and said, "Is chicken CHICKEN?" Wouldn't touch it after that! That made me happy because all the more for me! I always loved drumsticks. Weird little carnivore, wasn't I? So different now, HAHAHAH -

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Ragwort, so glad that your brother is listening and interested - what a thrill to be able to share the info with someone and have them keen to try. Let us know how his health improves

Siobhan, I agree on the child abuse thing!! My SIL and her family eat animal protein maybe twice a month and everything fat free and high carb. They have three kids and it makes me so sad to see what the kids have to eat (their son would love to eat more meat ...) - plus they get every immunization they possibly can... they all have allergies and health issues as a result ... and the kids are starting to get pudgy even though they are on swim team and soccer etc. Their days are full and very energetic and no decent fuel for them.

Here's hoping you can meet some really nice Primal guy one of these days!! And I got the sauces book and am loving it too!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.