Page 148 of 590 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158198248 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 148

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I say go for it! You said you can afford it - so go buy a new car! I have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder and I LOVE it! By far the best car I've ever owned.

Maybe you're landlord would go with you??
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Or X-Ray guy. Young guys love car shopping, right? (heehee)

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Or X-Ray guy. Young guys love car shopping, right? (heehee)
    Now that's funny!!!

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Thanks all, you are giving me the impetus I need to get moving on this. I did two things (other than worry) - I called my ex-hub, who I get along with just fine, in fact I consider a very good friend, and asked him to help me decide what car to get. He was very pleased to be asked. Although it would be a lot more fun to go car shopping with x-ray guy. The irony is that he probably would love to look at cars. Be sort of like him asking me to help him pick out shoes. I also asked my landlord to help me get my car to his mechanic to get it running properly. He seemed quite genuinely glad to do this. I feel better that I am at least starting to do something besides worry.

I did a bad thing that I am paying for. For some reason I ate a cup of tapioca pudding. You know, the regular kind that comes from the caf. My stomach hurts and I have some serious reflux. What was I thinking? What the haitch was I thinking?
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

I am tired. This has been a really stressful and trying couple of weeks. Yes, in the huge scheme of things, not really that bad. But nonetheless.

Today I've eaten organic sausages cooked in butter and an apple. That is what I feel like eating. Weird, huh? Actually, I feel like getting sh*tfaced, but I know that is not even possible, so that's out. (I just fall asleep if I drink more than 6 oz. of wine in two hours or so, I never even get tipsy.) I have a t-bone steak sitting out for a few minutes before I cook it and maybe I'll have some spinach too.

Was so relieved to get home this morning. This car thing is ridiculous. I don't know if I can wait for a good used vehicle to come along. I am so very tempted to just drive to a dealer in the morning. Not good to make decisions like that. But I know David is right.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Well. I cooked some spinach with garlic, scallions, ghee, olive oil, salt and pepper. It was wonderful. I am definitely craving fat. I feel like eating butter right out of the jar. (You keep your butter in a jar, right?) Then I cooked and ate the t-bone with more butter. BW Cat literally fought me for it. I mean he fought really hard! He made off with a big chunk of it and I don't know where he put it. I'm pretty sure he didn't eat it all, it was too big. Hmmmmm.

This afternoon I weighed 135 - new low. Went through my scrubs and have a stack of...gulp...nine scrub pants that are WAY too big. Can't even wear them around the house. Keep in mind that most of these were fairly roomy to begin with. I'm going to take them to work and see if anyone wants them. Then they will go to the thrift shop.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry you are having such a trying time. Is there any non-alcoholic substitute for getting shit-faced that you can figure out? What does it mean to you? Release of inhibitions? Feeling dizzy? Feeling relaxed? Or...?

And is there a way to get that feeling without falling asleep from your glass of wine?

Dancing, maybe? Naked in your own home. Clothed in a crowded bar. At midnight in the woods.

(Must admit, I had an image of you trying to get blasted, falling asleep in your chair, and the two cats fighting over your steak bone in your lap. Heehee. You looked pretty cute. Especially once I added in over-sized scrubs.)
    Last edited by Sabine; 11-10-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: having, not happy...and image, not imagine

DCarr10760 is online now Senior Member
    Congratulations on the new low! I haven't weighed myself in about two weeks, seeing how that goes. It's nice to retire clothing that is too big. I had the joy of doing it too a week or so ago...

What I do (in terms of buying cars these days) is tally up the total cost of buying and keeping the last car I had, I include everything (price, finance costs, maintenance and repair) but not insurance or gas. Then I divide this number by the total number of miles I drove the car (if used, I do not include the number of miles that were on it when I got it). This gives me a cost per mile.

The cheapest car I ever drove was my last Subaru, I won't bore you with the specific numbers, but it worked out to less than 20 cents a mile, (remember, I am not including gas). The most expensive car I ever owned (since I've kept these records) was a used ford pick-up truck, that I got to make occasional trips to pick up building materials. It cost just under a buck a mile!

The reason I think the new car works out cheaper in the very long run is that for most modern cars, you get 75 - 100k miles out of them before needing significant repairs and they will last (some of them) easily with good maintenance 200+k miles.

When buying a late model used car, with 50k on the clock, you get a significant discount off the price of the car, but you don't benefit from the trouble free block of miles. I believe this winds up being more costly looking at it from a cost per mile perspective.

It might be a wacky way of looking at it, but it's the way I think about it.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

It's not wacky at all, and I have read similar studies. If you keep a car for many years it turns out to cost less per mile than buying a used car. The depreciation is spread out over enough time that the small benefit from letting someone else bear that cost for the first two years becomes insignificant. And as you mention, you are losing those early trouble-free years.

Weird thing happened last night. I was driving home from the store and a the car suddenly started to make a horrible scraping noise. I mean HORRIBLE. As soon as I was able I pulled over and had a look. A piece had fallen off. It appears to be a cover that fit over two bolts in the rear wheel well. Not something actually involved in the operation of the car. I wish I could say this cured all the problems; i.e. noise, vibration, but it didn't although it is greatly lessened.

Tomorrow I am going to the Nissan dealer and see what they have.

Sabine, you are actually not far wrong in your picture of me! I wasn't wearing oversize scrubs but I was wearing oversize pajamas, which have to go. The trouble is they get way too long. I mean WAY too long, long enough to trip on. I still haven't found the steak, either!

I guess I am just looking for a way to turn off my brain for awhile and stop worrying. I am a worrier. Can't help it. Actually singing something really hard is a good way to stop worrying, because I have to concentrate.

This afternoon is the memorial service for our fallen choir member (don't remember if I mentioned he died last last). I am oddly looking forward to it because it is pretty much a music program. He was an accomplished musician, played in a jazz band. The choir is singing and there will be performances from professional musicians, both classical and jazz.

Well, the memorial service was quite wonderful. I am really glad I had the chance to participate and I will admit that it is pretty cool to be milling around afterwards and have people I know and people I don't know grab my arm and tell me how wonderful we sounded. And you know what? We did! And we gave Ned a good send-off.

It is really strange for me to live here and be part of this community and be friends with people who come from backgrounds that are virtually incomprehensible. I come from very, very mundane roots. These people are East Coast money with all the culture and social mores that go with that. For instance, on display were two childhood portraits - I mean, in this family one had one's portrait painted regularly. He grew up in a part of New York that is now basically a national park - Riverdale. Toscannini used to perform there. Expensive and exclusive prep schools and then Yale. Family vacations in England - in rented castles with butlers and full staff. A glittering career in business that yielded huge rewards. Vacation homes, hobby farms. I just can't imagine.

I made Thai coconut chicken soup. Unbelievably good. This is the best batch I ever made. I ate way too much of it, but I don't feel overly full. It was so good! I ate almost half of it. Two servings left. And I thought I would have a lot more...

Finished it off with a very ripe and delicious pear.

I have a pot roast in the oven. That is for tomorrow.