Page 122 of 590 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172222 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 122

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Siobhan and DCarr -- Great cat stories. I can just visualize the cats.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Hey David, I think your primal-ness is wearing off on your cat!

Was supposed to go to a staff meeting this morning - 8 AM in the hospital in the next town. I woke at 6:30, realized it just wasn't going to happen, fed the carnivores, and went back to bed. Managed to drag myself up at 9 AM make it to another meeting that was luckily here in my town, five minutes away. Meeting was so boring I was glad I had fortified myself with tea and hot dogs. Sat in meeting dreaming of apples and bacon. Takeaway from meeting - in the future we will be doing more work for less money. Which has pretty much been the takeaway from every meeting I have been to for ages.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Wow, it is really hard to eat primal in restaurants! Unless you are made of money, or possibly if you eat at a steakhouse. Went out with some friends for lunch and luckily the hot dogs I had for breakfast held me over, because I had to be content with a salad with a couple of flakes of bacon (seriously, it was real bacon but not even a slice) and a lousy tablespoon of supposedly homemade bleu cheese dressing. Yeah, homemade in Vietnam maybe. The restaurant does have sweet potato fries but they are $6!!!! $6!!!! And no substitutions. So you can't get, say, a burger with fries and pay an extra dollar for SP fries. Happily no one commented on my food choice, they probably figured it was the weird diet I am on that has allowed me to lose a lot of weight. They are right, but not the way they think. I don't live on salad. I came home and ate bacon and an apple.

Rainy day, the carnivores are lazy and so am I. Will swim later. Too many kids in the pool in the afternoons. I hope to heaven they test the water before they let the adults back in. Best not to think about it.

Forgot to mention that the lifeguard tried to set me up with his...grandfather. Yep. His grampy. I was not flattered.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Saw Robot and Frank last night. After hearing the glowing reviews, I don't know what I expected, but I really didn't care for it. Langella was very, very good. It was like a masterclass in acting. Liv Tyler has so much botox in her face I'm surprised she can even talk.

The penultimate farmers market for the year is this morning. I didn't get to go very much this year. It is so expensive! Today I will buy non-food items like beeswax candles and coconut oil/beeswax handcream.

Another rainy day. But it is October, and I am still wearing sandals and capris. Haven't dragged out a coat yet. Plants are still outside. There has been no frost.

I swam last night - this first time I have been to the pool for the late afternoon/evening hours. Didn't like it much. Lots of kids running around. I am very, very glad that kids are swimming but I don't particularly want to be there when they are. And the locker room was quite a mess after two swim teams went through there in the afternoon. I will stick to morning swims. I didn't want to think about the water in the pool. Of course it is safe, but was it my imagination...did it taste kinda salty? Maybe I would rather let the filters and sanitation technology do its work overnight before I get in.

I'm been reading other journals and decided I have a remarkably dull life. For one thing, I have very little conflict, probably because I don't have family close by and live by myself. My personal life is stable to an extent that is pretty unusual.

Was reading somewhere about keeping older cats healthy - after the age of ten they often have trouble holding weight, and it was suggested they be fed several small meals a day instead of the usual twice. Hmmm. Isn't this the recommendation often given for humans to LOSE weight?

Had two Applegate hot dogs over a bed of greens with leftover meatball sauce and a pluot. Treated myself to coffee with whipping cream this morning.

The carnivores are sprawled out asleep in my unmade bed. Guess it will stay unmade.

I might be hallucinating, but was someone looking for this custard recipe? From sonofgrok that is no longer? I found it on naiadknight's journal and am putting it here for my own future reference. This would be great if I had to take a dessert somewhere.

http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/06/caveman-custard/

Do you miss puddings and custards in your primal world? We have a local egg custard here known as “Flan” and for some weird reason, I have been craving it. Here is a custard recipe that I have been putting together. I finally got the proportions perfectly where I like them. If you like yours sweeter, all you need to do is add more bananas! This recipe is about as simple as it gets.

Ingredients:
    - 2 bananas
    - 1 can coconut milk
    - 3 eggs
    - Cinnamon

Directions:
    1. Combine all ingredients except for cinnamon in a mixer and mix well.
    2. Pour into custard or souffle cups (coffee cups or other oven safe containers work fine if you don’t have custard cups).
    3. Sprinkle top with cinnamon.
    4. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for approx 45 minutes. Custard will balloon a bit and you may see some liquid… its ok, it will work itself out.
    5. Chill.
    6. Serve and enjoy.

One thing that drives me nuts about these recipes is that they don't have serving sizes. This one doesn't even tell you how many cups you will need, their approximate size, or how full they should be. I must remember this if I ever start posting recipes anywhere. Also, some nutrition info would be good.
    Last edited by Siobhan; 10-04-2012 at 06:29 AM.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    That was me. Naiaidknight mentioned it while we were talking about PIE, but didn't have it on hand at the time. I'll have try it when I get some more coconut milk (used the last can a couple of days ago ). Doesn't sound like it could be much easier, does it?

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    I wonder the same thing about Fatkitty. I buy $pecial diet food from the vet and she gets about three quarters of a cup a day. I've done this for several years now and she's still tubby. Somebody somewhere on this site talked about special meat and organ based food that helped their cats (was it you?). My mind is like a steel sieve...

I'm wondering if better food will make her more energetic. It certainly has worked wonders for her human.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

That probably was me, David, because I went through an excruciating process getting them off high carb food. I learned the hard way that even the food the vet sells can be bad. I am guessing that special diet food contains fillers and fiber (like diet food for humans...) I went through a long process of reading labels and lots of waste - finally they are eating a high quality grain-free kibble occasionally (maybe twice a week) and the rest of the time Fancy Feast Classic from a can. FF Classic does not contain wheat, corn , or soy. There are several varieties, luckily they like them all. All of the other types contain wheat gluten, as does a lot of cat food - even high end stuff. Hmmmm. I read somewhere that in Sweden or one of the Scandinavian countries it is illegal to add grain to cat food. Now, I'm not a big fan of laws and regulations but I am glad someone is standing up for proper nutrition for cats. And yes, it has made a tremendous difference, and almost right away. Slim Cat, who was bone-thin, has put on muscle - lots of muscle - a friend stopped by and asked me if he was the the same cat, said he looks like a panther now. B&W Cat, formerly Tubby Cat, had to be renamed because he is similarly remuscled and his belly is gone. I feed them fish and any kind of meat that I am eating. I'm going to look into getting some wild organ meats this hunting season. And there are a couple of people who used to be on here that feed their cats totally raw organ meat diets. Wish I could do that, but it is pretty much of a stretch here.

Sorry I'm getting my people mixed up, but I hope the recipe is helpful. I might have to make that! But not any time soon. Today I had not one but two pieces of fudge at the farmers market. One was okay but two put me over the top - sugar and I do not get along. Yes, my name is Siobhan and I am a sugar addict. Can't go there.

I also got one last pint of ground cherries, am going to enjoy those with a bit of cheese. I thought they would be sad remnants from the peak of the season, but even though they are smaller, they are intensely flavored. Oh yeah.

Loaded up on all kinds of veg and some grass fed ground lamb. Gonna make moussaka.

Been cooking for two hours and still haven't made moussaka. Had a great lunch of fish in panang sauce (the sauce that won't die...), brussels sprouts cut off the stalk (love buying them like that), a few beets. I did roast the eggplant for the moussaka and also roasted some red peppers. I'm just going to throw in every spice I have - cinnamon, mint, everything. Also going to put zucchini in it. Better turn out well because I'm going to have a boatload!

Oh, and I just found out the x-ray guy is an avid hunter...