Page 101 of 590 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 5899

Thread: Primal Journal - Siobhan page 101

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Squash is delicious too, and I can do the same thing with it - I am glad to have learned about this as it is a very acceptable substitute for CW pancakes, at least for me. Pancakes are one of those things that I always wanted but always found disappointing. I could eat a whole stack and not feel satisfied, even whole grain etc. I think zucchini and the summer squashes will be good cooked this way too. The key is the coconut flour, which is very absorbent and will hold the cake together.

One thing I like about my job, which was terrifying at first but now is pretty much the best thing, is that I am a one-woman-show - no one else knows anything about the vents and bipaps etc. Or about the meds I administer, for that matter. The docs and nurses leave the respiratory stuff completely to me and they have learned to trust me. So when the doctor is standing there saying, "Anyone have any ideas?" I can step up and say "Let's do this and this and this," and they let me me run with it. In fact, that is what I am there for. I'm expected to be fully proficient and able to work without micromanagement because it is a very small hospital and we have to be a team. In the large hospitals where I worked before, I was certainly expected to be fully proficient but not necessarily too independent.

One of my friends went to work in Saudi Arabia for a year - she was horrified to discover she was responsible for the vents - and she was in Peds! Yikes. She said it was horrible for a few months and she never was really comfortable. Frankly I think that is too much for one person. If I had to take care of foleys and IV and cardiac meds on top of the vent and ET tubes I think I would pack it in!

My dinner last night was so satisfying that I just realized I have fasted for 15 hours - might as well wait a bit longer and make it 16. I still have some steak, or maybe I should have bacon and eggs - I will think about that for the next hour or so -

I was trying to figure out how to borrow a book from someone on Amazon and accidently purchased David's book. EEK! Luckily they make it easy to cancel an order. I would like to take a look at it.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Paleotrack seems to be down - not surprising since I think it is largely a one-man operation. I miss it, though. If it isn't back up by tomorrow I will try another tracker, maybe fitday. Journaling my food really helps and in my experience is key to success. I'm not ready to stop doing it yet - maybe after a few more months.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Okay, I really need to get off this computer. Beautiful day out there going to waste!

Went to Fitday but got discouraged because I have put so much information into paleotrack and fitday doesn't even have almond milk! I'll just wait.

The mushroom seller at the farmers market has turned me into a 'mushroom person.' Just had a great breakfast of bacon, eggs, and mushrooms. Also coffee (cold brewed) with almond milk. I have three different kinds of mushrooms, quite exotic for me - chicken of the woods, lobster, and oyster. Lots left, will probably incorporate them into dinner tonight.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    A few months ago I scored a beautiful clump of oyster mushrooms at a farmers' market. I fried up some ground beef crumbles, and just threw the mushrooms in for a minute, coating them in the fat, and letting them become slightly warm. I can still remember how good they tasted. Yay, mushrooms!

And they are very good cooked in bacon fat. Of course you can cook just about anything in bacon fat and it will be good.

Probably everyone knows this, but I have just discovered that coarse salt is an excellent baked-on-pan cleaner. I started using it in my cast iron skillet to good effect, but have been using it on my regular stainless steel ones and I can't believe how easily they come spotlessly clean. When I think of all the elbow grease, expensive pads, cleaners, etc. I have used...plain old salt is better than all of them.

What a whirlwind of activity I have been! Went to the pet food store, post office, craft show - picked up some lavender sachet pillows I had a crafter make from my grandmother's hand-embroidered tea towels that I have had in a drawer for 40 years (yes, really). They are wonderful. Then I got up my courage and went to the Y for the first time. Of course there was a problem, my membership shows inactive. It would be too much to ask that anything actually gets done correctly the first time. And of course the person who can fix it isn't there today. The incompetent naturally are off on Saturday.

But I worked out and it went well and I am over my initial nervousness about stepping into a gym for the first time in years. I have been thinking that rowing would work very well for HIIT and so I tried it. Of course I did not go all out or even close - I rowed for 14 minutes, concentrating on form, and threw in three or four intervals. The really cool thing is that I don't need special clothes, special shoes, special bra, etc. I just did it in my ordinary t-shirt and casual pants. Also, I wore my fives, which are great for this type of thing. I am wearing them more and more - I will be sorry to have to put them away in the winter. The weird thing is that despite not being thin or fit or young, I was the youngest, thinnest, fittest looking person there. Which gives you an idea both of the clientele and of the community I live in! I am looking forward to swimming (there are in fact very fit looking people in the pool) but I am waiting for this sinus thing to subside. It is much better but I have a feeling that two courses of antibiotic are going to be required - we'll see.

On the skin front, I am pretty happy. I purchased some Aubrey Organics toner for sensitive skin, it has aloe and whatnot in it. Normally I think toners are a waste of time, but it occurred to me that the problems I am having are simple irritation. And perhaps I am correct, because after three days of using the toner after washing, my skin looks great. Skin and hair - not fun to talk about, but very near and dear to us women!

Also I went hiking on a local trail, about 2 miles from home. It was really wonderful, just under a mile, through woods and along the river. I used my new walking stick with the loon etched on the handle. Why is it more fun to walk with a stick? I think it is a shovelglove thing - it is just fun to swing something. I am going to graduate to walking with the hammer soon - the urban primalist says that simply going for a walk with the hammer slung over your shoulder and slinging it around a bit while you walk is just about as good a workout as any. That I can do!

The day is so beautiful it could break your heart - warm and sunny and dry and green trees and sparkling water everywhere.
    Last edited by Siobhan; 09-01-2012 at 10:14 AM.

On a very happy note, my favorite video, Henri the Existential Cat Paw de Deux, has won the coveted inaugural Golden Kitty award for world's best cat video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q34z5dCmC4M

Ate half a chocolate bar! Guess that was my snack and/or indulgence. Normally I just eat a square or two, but this afternoon I bought a gourmet bar, sat on the town dock and ate it as I watched the boats come in and out of the harbor. Quite nice it was. Also scored two low-carb books at the used bookstore - Living the Low-Carb Life by Jonny Bowden and How I Gave Up My Low-Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds by Dana Carpender of low-carb cookbook fame. Both of these books contain details of the various low-carb diets from Atkins to paleo to the Zone and even some vegetarian low-carb diets. For $1 each I think I will get my money's worth.

I got a sample of your book, David, The Art and Science of Low-Carbohydrate Living and it immediately set my nerdy science geek neurons firing. I am sure I will end up buying it. As a reference, I devoured both of Gary Taubes's books twice through without pause. Yeah, I'm a geek.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Coincidence: on Thursday I sold my copy of 'How I Gave up My Low-Fat Diet an Lost 40 Pounds'. A great book, but I need the shelf space and the pittance that Half-Price Books will give me for it. I am going to imagine that it shot through a wormhole to your store in Maine.

That is a funny coincidence indeed! Maybe there are wormholes...

Just put away a very large dinner that has turned out to not be so bad calorie and macro-wise. Leftover steak cooked with my glorious wild mushrooms, then an egg cooked in salsa (inspired by the MDA recipe today). Now I am going to have a glass of wine and enjoy a classic jazz program on the radio.