Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: constipation? page

fragileknees is offline Member

Primal Fuel

Hi.

So.... I went primal on Sunday and haven't had a bowel movment yet (this would be day 5). I used to going like clockwork every day so this is starting to bug me.

I'm eating about 50% fat, plenty of protein, carbs around 50-75 grams, and all that good stuff. What gives?

Happen to anyone else?

MELANIE Guest

eat more fat...get some magnesium citrate

ChrisJ is offline Member

not much salad or veg?

We do need some fibre in our diets, and it's likely that the foods you cut out were your main fibre sources.

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

I found this too but it seemed to right itself after about a week. I don't go so often now but when I do its easier (not going into too much detail I hope!). I think your body needs to adapt to the new diet.

London Mike is offline Junior Member

Are you drinking enough water? Try increasing anyway until things settle down (if you need to pee 10 minutes after drinking you're probably hydrated enough).

As jo mentioned, going Primal means going less often too.

anniegebel Guest

I'd also question...are you constipated or just not going? There's a difference there too. I'd go ahead with the other suggestions, but if you're not actually constipated your body is likely just adjusting. We don't need to have BMs every day. Good luck

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

@Chris

The dietary fiber issue is very debatable.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

TigerJ is offline Senior Member

Robb Wolf addressed this in his recent podcast. He says there is an adaptation period while the body adjusts. Something like the gut is used to using the 'irritant' of gluten in grains to stimulate peristalsis and now has to shift over and could take some time. The recs were to make sure to get plenty of fats and fish oil; so maybe up your fat %? Is the 50% calories or intake? Imho fat % of calories could be higher.

But to ease the transition period maybe add some more fibrous veggies for a few days, although I agree with other posters that for longer term this is debatable. You can search on nutrition data for ones that are good. When I felt stuck in that department just ate some cooked greens, avocado and steamed artichoke and everything started moving.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

I had that problem when I was paleo. Avocado did the trick for me then. Haven't had too much trouble with it since going Primal, but I do notice that if I have a particularly coconut oil laden meal... let's just say it has quite an effect.

fragileknees is offline Member

Thanks all, I will try more fat and water!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast