Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: constipation? page 5

strom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think. I saw a senna type at Vitamin Shop.

"a few spoons of coconut oil makes things go down! - Marry Poppins

Coconut oil raw is not great tasting. It helps and so does a glass of water before eating.

What about prunes? Prune smoothie (I've wanted to try one since they mentioned it in Family Guy)?

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Senna tea works like a dream for constipation.

I've been thinking about this subject recently, and I think the majority of us are constipated. If you look at all animals they actually go several times a day. I think we should be, too.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

CJ4400 is offline Member
    StoneAgeQueen: I agree that Senna tea works but to me it seems more like a laxative than a "natural" herbal supplement! I'm trying to stay away from it but do admit that I use it when I need it bad.

Constipation is a symptom, so what is the cause? We all seem to be eating plenty of fat. Could it be the sudden decrease in carb intake which is resulting in less bulk?

CJ4400 is offline Member
    That's weird, my quick reply didn't make it! Anyway here is what I posted:

I agree that Senna tea works like a dream, but don't you guys treat it more like a laxative than a "natural" herbal supplement?

Also, constipation is a symptom..so what could be the cause? It sure isn't too little fat because we all seem to be getting plenty of it. Could it be that we have a hard time breaking down protein and fat? Especially for those that have decreased their carb consumption and don't have enough "bulk?"

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Yes I would definitely treat it more like a laxative, CJ. I only really use it when I'm fasting.

I often wondered why some of us are constipated. Shouldn't we be using the bathroom after every meal the way animals do?
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Beef Cake is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Underwaterer View Post
    One thing I have noticed since cutting out the breads is that I don't get these horrible gas pains anymore...Ugh, they were the worst!
    I have noticed this as well. Pasta, bread and grains gave me horrible gas. I did not realize it until I stopped eating them. No more gas. I am still regular as before though. Not sure why people are having issues with constipation. I do eat lots of veggies and I have ground flax in my morning smoothie...so perhaps that is what works for me.

MmmFat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ4400 View Post
    Also, constipation is a symptom..so what could be the cause? It sure isn't too little fat because we all seem to be getting plenty of it. Could it be that we have a hard time breaking down protein and fat? Especially for those that have decreased their carb consumption and don't have enough "bulk?"
    Maybe it has something to do with salt (and the whole electrolyte balance with potassium, magnesium, calcium, etc.)?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    Shouldn't we be using the bathroom after every meal the way animals do?
    I'm sure there's a lot more to it, but we are eating more of what we need and less 'crap' - sorry, pun intended - that we can't use/don't need and would eliminate. But I know what you mean, I feel like I need to get rid of the same quantity of food that I eat, too.
    Last edited by MmmFat; 04-15-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    when I was pregnant, the *only* thing that helped was prune juice. About a quarter of a cup perhaps, plus a glass of water. (if you're not sure, a couple of very tiny serves twice a day rather than a lot at once!!!) Don't do what a friend did and drink a whole glassful of the stuff....

CJ4400 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen in Oz View Post
    when I was pregnant, the *only* thing that helped was prune juice. About a quarter of a cup perhaps, plus a glass of water. (if you're not sure, a couple of very tiny serves twice a day rather than a lot at once!!!) Don't do what a friend did and drink a whole glassful of the stuff....
    LOL! I wish that stuff helped!!! Although, it's been a while. I should try it again. Do you think prune juice is more effective than eating whole prunes? That is a whole lotta carbs/sugars! =/

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    not sure. Try them both and see. Prunes seem rich in nutrients so I think they are worthwhile carbs, and you don't need to consume much. My view is that (allowing time to recover from years of abuse) the digestive system should function reasonably easily and naturally. If you're having issues, then something is out of balance somewhere.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast