Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: constipation? page 4

suzyschnitz is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Senna is WAY too potent for me, as in it causes painful stomach cramps and makes me sweat and cry like a baby and beg for my mommy.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

Yeah, switching over to PB with all its fats I was kind of expecting the opposite. (Like grease through a goose, as they might say). I've found it to be the opposite. About every other day and much smaller poops.

Which makes sense. When I look back on the other time in my life my body was definitely maximizing all fuel intake (three month Outward Bound trip) I was on much the same 'schedule.'

strom is offline Senior Member
    What happens if you have a redundant colon and Crohns as well? Would should you do to get things moving hopefully non painfullly.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Well, cut out gluten and casein, for one. Additionally, some people with inflammatory bowel disease do well cutting out nightshades and high-lectin foods like beans and nuts. Besides that, see how fiber affects you. Soluble and insoluble fibers aren't the same thing, but both are a good idea for many people having trouble getting things moving. Some people do fine without them, but they sure help me out.

If you have a redundant colon, extra fluids help some people out (since the colon is where water is absorbed and overdry stools tend not to move along properly).

Walking and plenty of fat are a good idea as well.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Catalina is offline Member
    MG: Redundant colon?? What is that?

Catalina is offline Member
    What is a redundant colon?

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    It's pretty much what it sounds like. You have a longer colon than is typical. It's mostly not a big deal, but it can cause some issues with intestinal twisting in a few cases, and some people get constipated because they absorb extra water. People with a redundant colon can be difficult to give a colonoscopy as well, which can be an issue.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

strom is offline Senior Member
    Correct on that. They used to use a more powerful laxative which really cleaned you out, but now they use a weaker type. Doesn't fully clean you out when you have a colonoscopy. As a result of that, I ended up having 2 colonoscopies last year within several months of each other. What would be a good supplement for a stool softener and laxative? With not many side effects.

I have read about Hydro-C but not sure what it is and if there is a cheaper version.

FabMandy is offline Member
    You could look into high-dose vitamin C therapies or even magnesium... I think Hydro-C is those two plus a couple of other minerals anyway, isn't it?

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    A few spoonfuls of coconut oil gets things moving nicely. I can only go regularly when I haven't had any dairy.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast