Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: constipation? page 3

Lolly is offline Member

ground flax seed or ground chia seeds help move things along for me

Madame P is offline Junior Member

Senna Tea is a traditional constipation cure. Google "Smooth Move Tea."

Sterling is offline Member

Protein is 90-95% absorbed. If you are eating a lot of protein, then you won't have a lot of 'waste'.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

I think it's cool how the whole digestive system moves at once. I usually can't go in the morning until I've had a big glass of water, which gets the stomach responding and the intestines grooving and voila.

I'm interested to know how chyme (the semifluid viscous goop of partially digested food that exits the stomach) can get stuck up in the works. When I think about it, the only foods I've witnessed pass through me intact were always some kind of vegetable. You'd think constipation would be caused by these indigestible solids.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

Be careful with the senna. It may be, erm, more potent than you might think.

@Primalchild: The first pg of this might be useful: https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/rjhutz/www/week12.PDF

Im guessing that with a carnivore diet, there would be a greater percentage of unabsorbed fat and to a lesser extent, undigested protein.

avocado is offline Senior Member

PrimalChild, I think vegetable matter is a lot more easily seen in the stool, at a casual glance :-), than meat.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

How about trying to add bacteria to your diet? Basically kefir or kambutcha. Or possibly other fermented foods. Around 40% of dry stool weight is bacteria. So if you don't have enough bacteria in your intestines, you may have problem with your bowel motion.

Magnesium deficiency might also be a problem. Add some cashews. Possibly use iodized sea (kosher) salts in your food.

Fiber can be dangerous if you don't have adequate bacteria in your digestive system.

MmmFat is offline Senior Member

Great suggestions! I'm sure that my body is becoming more efficent, especially since I'm not eating a large volume of food. I guess I had expected 'more' with the increase in veggies - but since they are mostly water, it makes sense. Things seemed to have cleared up for the time being, but next time I need help, I'm going down the list!

Also, I thought overdid it with coconut *butter* not coconut oil. I tried CO for the 1st time today - wow, it's definitely different, and I can see how one might have 'an incident' after too much.

Thanks again!

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -- Virginia Woolf

Underwaterer is offline Junior Member

Ok, since going primal, I have definitely noticed a change in the 'schedule'. It's kinda bothering me a little. I may need to increase my vegetable and fiber intake. One thing I have noticed since cutting out the breads is that I don't get these horrible gas pains anymore. They usually strike if I'm hungry and don't eat in time. Does anyone else experience that? Ugh, they were the worst!

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Iceskater agreed on the senna! It works... too much sometimes.

I KNOW that people say fiber is debateable but I honestly have great success with veggies. If I eat LOTS of fat and meat and no veg... um... no poo. If I eat some veg, well no issues! Im in the veg camp!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast