Page 77 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: A Little Bit of R & R page 77

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    Hmm I guess that sounds like this "chip butty" the English eat...
    Can't do photos on this PC, but this isn't far away as far as chip butty's go, Chip butty, fish and chip shops was the place to get them....

Quote Originally Posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    A hot pan or the broiler will do it! You may have to peel it up just a little to get it done fast enough without burning.
    Cheers, on my 'to do' list the weekend.

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Can't do photos on this PC, but this isn't far away as far as chip butty's go, Chip butty, fish and chip shops was the place to get them....

Cheers, on my 'to do' list the weekend.
    Good luck, enjoy!

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Right, this got a proper 'WTF' from me. Chip butty? The name alone makes me hurl! (I know, you're thinking fanny pack fanny pack fanny pack.) This is quite a language we share!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Right, this got a proper 'WTF' from me. Chip butty? The name alone makes me hurl! (I know, you're thinking fanny pack fanny pack fanny pack.) This is quite a language we share!
    I know right? I tried to tell about Joanie's recent weird food pictures, and well, I guess it wasn't as funny without the pictures. At least for me lolol.

Skin + food sensitivities update

I've been having the occasional bit of dairy and more than a bit of whiskey (with ice). When I eat wheat, I get serious acne within two days, and so far, my skin is pretty clear. No new breakouts, and the last one is healing.

This is good because I'm seriously missing cheese lol. I'll probably still not go totally crazy with it and I'll stick to longer ferments. Mmm mmm stinky cheese.

And I like my Jameson.

TMI update

I forgot to take my magnesium yesterday and still had a BM, just later and not as comfortable. Also hopeful, still impatient. I'm very glad to have found something that's so far basically reliable.

Food

I'm still liking this simple, clean cooking. I'm actually craving just a plain pork roast, juices, and some quick sautéed cabbage in bacon. Maybe some roasted potatoes. I NEED A KITCHEN.

I'm also still avoiding crucifers, so maybe green beans instead.

I really loved the fishcakes I made. I'll certainly be doing that again. And a good slow cooked piece of meat (I got brave and made tongue! CAFO, but more friendly than the totally uncleaned six+ pound monsters at the market). I've got to figure out some good warm weather stews maybe... I'll have to maybe hope the stove holds out and spend some time with my cookbooks.

And fresh fish. OMG I can't wait for America and fresh fish again. Simple and smooth and flaky and buttery. Mmm.

Neeleh is offline Senior Member
    Back to the chip butties; the term is northern vernacular, we have them 'down south' too, but don't really have a term for them. A buttered white bread roll, stuffed with deep fried chips, optional tomato ketchup. Faced with a traditional chip shop menu I would prob go with the side of 'mushy peas'

Kudos to you for tackling tongue; that is brave imo. You get extra primal credits for that. Are you missing cheese due to availability or are you taking a break? Same - crucifers? Just curious.
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal: Vibrant Life

Quote Originally Posted by Neeleh View Post
    Back to the chip butties; the term is northern vernacular, we have them 'down south' too, but don't really have a term for them. A buttered white bread roll, stuffed with deep fried chips, optional tomato ketchup. Faced with a traditional chip shop menu I would prob go with the side of 'mushy peas'

Kudos to you for tackling tongue; that is brave imo. You get extra primal credits for that. Are you missing cheese due to availability or are you taking a break? Same - crucifers? Just curious.
    Hehe I read a lot of British books growing up. Half of what is say isn't understood by anyone due to linguistic confusion.

As far as cheese, just taking a break to see if dairy was the cause of a pretty bad breakout at the end of my last W30. It's also known to be hard on the gut, so I'm trying not to stress that out too badly.

Crucifers have been the (second to wheat) biggest pain on my digestion since last august when I ate too much of both trying to adopt a less traditional, more "conventional paleo wisdom) diet with lots of raw veg and tons of fruit instead of the more traditional, lax starch + fruit (and veg of course). By then I'd identified wheat as a potential huge problem, so I wanted to see if organic soured wheat was any better. It wasn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Gosh you really have come a long way ie to a sophisticated understanding of yourself. I hope you find enough vegetable variety without crucifers? Those kind of restrictions can often lead to unexpected discoveries though - new and interesting alternatives? Cheese is not my friend either, tolerable in small amounts but I got a two week migraine last time I detoxed dairy so I aint going back. Luckily I wasnt attached, I know that many lurrrve their dairy.

I have phased out raw red cabbage in the last week, to see if that helps ...anything. But I miss it so badly in my salads; the colour, the crunch, it adds bulk and is low starch. It may have to go back. The other vegetable family I might take a trial break from are nightshades, and again I feel I would miss the toms in salad.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Neeleh View Post
    Gosh you really have come a long way ie to a sophisticated understanding of yourself. I hope you find enough vegetable variety without crucifers? Those kind of restrictions can often lead to unexpected discoveries though - new and interesting alternatives? Cheese is not my friend either, tolerable in small amounts but I got a two week migraine last time I detoxed dairy so I aint going back. Luckily I wasnt attached, I know that many lurrrve their dairy.

I have phased out raw red cabbage in the last week, to see if that helps ...anything. But I miss it so badly in my salads; the colour, the crunch, it adds bulk and is low starch. It may have to go back. The other vegetable family I might take a trial break from are nightshades, and again I feel I would miss the toms in salad.
    I trialled night shades during the winter for specifically that reason. . I luurve my maters as much as I luurve my dairy. Lucky for me though, that potatoes seem to have only brought good and this is three days after probably 1.5 ounces of cheese (not even really good cheese, just cheap mozzarella!) and at least a week since vanilla ice cream. And even more since brownie day and less than an ounce of cheese on a random weekend prior. Still no breakouts. I think dairy has been absolved.

Still no plans to go crazy on the stuff, but I made some daaark hot cocoa tonight with half water, half half and half (ooooh so many halves...). I think this isn't going to prove a thing after the ice cream except in my brain, which has been somewhat addled by the crazy weather we've been having.

Huh, I can drink whiskey all night and be at a higher functioning (though SIGNIFICANTLY more prone to rambling about the Lion King) than a little barometric fluctuation. No wonder I like potatoes. (1589 points to the first person to think hey, Paleolithic celts didn't eat potatoes... Congratulations.)

Speaking of things, holy. Chocolate. Craving. Batman.

Also, second time I've made that reference tonight. However, my brain doesn't know whut to do with my fayse.

Eh fuck it. Potatoes are Batman, and Robin is Butter. Apparently my gut is the Joker because however many times it tried to separate the Dynamic Duo, that little butt(er) keeps coming back.

Which is really good because I've got [OPSEC] months and three pounds of organic butter in my freezer.

Or 2.75 in the freezer.

Oh, and chocolate. Thankfully there's 90% left of the last two bars of Lindt 85 I bought forever ago.

Or 80%.

C;

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Potatoes are Batman, and Robin is Butter
    This has to be the most inspired food metaphor/analogy I have ever seen - genius!!

Being able to handle and benefit from reg potatoes is a gift. I can't speak to the alcohol part. Daniel Vitalis speculates that early agriculture partly motivated by neolithic man's need to have grain supply for alcohol production?

With you on the chocolate; I seem to want it more and more since primalling; have increased my rations from 10g - 30g, which is significant and am being super-strict with myself to stay at 20g - 2 squares. One thing, during the great (& not so great) v*gan experiment, was that my need for the stuff naturally fell away and I came truly close to giving up, which is huge.

Keep on sister, you are doing great
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 77 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast