Page 76 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: A Little Bit of R & R page 76

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My dad made tuna casserole at least every other week (Kraft dinner + tuna). It wasn't bad actually, but not my favorite. Too bad the bones probably would never fly nowadays! I thought they were actually kinda tasty toasted. The skin I have to mash in so I don't notice it, though I enjoy it on fresh salmon.

Neeleh is offline Senior Member
    I wish I could get on board with salmon skin, that goes in the bin too; my cat won't touch it either unfortunately. I know it must have great nutrition. I love childhood food reminisces - just looked up kraft dinner My father made steak pies from scratch but didnt really get involved in family meals beyond that, except, he loved carving chicken I think (dead carcass + knifework = man's work )
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal: Vibrant Life

Lol man's work. I'm not sure where exactly Kraft dinner sits on the Traditional Midwest Meal plate. It's more of a northern thing, but it definitely made appearances. Perhaps Mandatory Spoonable Starch? Potatoes and noodles were both fairly common.

Wow sudden craving for pasta marinara.

Real potatoes? We had this bizarre dried processed potato mash, advertised by space dwelling robots in an iconic TV advert. I seem to remember eating it dry, crunchy, salty like popcorn from the packet. I'm getting carried away, maybe should start a food's nostalgia thread somewhere lol.

Yes to the marinara, bet you can whip up a lovely sauce
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    The army PT test for anyone over 36: you're here? Are you still breathing? You passed.
    Had a medical for me apprenticeship when I was 16, company Doc put his hand on me chest went breathe in, breathe out, told me I was alive and that was it more or less, found out later he used to spend as much time as he could in the local working mens club, getting bladdered....

Quote Originally Posted by Neeleh View Post
    I wish I could get on board with salmon skin, that goes in the bin too; my cat won't touch it either unfortunately. I know it must have great nutrition. I love childhood food reminisces - just looked up kraft dinner My father made steak pies from scratch but didnt really get involved in family meals beyond that, except, he loved carving chicken I think (dead carcass + knifework = man's work )
    Nor me, love salmon but the skin don't do it.... I had to look up kraft dinner too, ooh, no ta.... The head of the family doing the dead animal carving, thats proper mans work that....

The head of the family doing the dead animal carving, thats proper mans work that....
    Indeed, it seemed to fill father with such pleasure and pride, that's more than OK by me.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

A Little Bit of R & R

Quote Originally Posted by Neeleh View Post
    Real potatoes? We had this bizarre dried processed potato mash, advertised by space dwelling robots in an iconic TV advert. I seem to remember eating it dry, crunchy, salty like popcorn from the packet. I'm getting carried away, maybe should start a food's nostalgia thread somewhere lol.

Yes to the marinara, bet you can whip up a lovely sauce
    Nope I had that too! Or at least versions of it. One summer my brother and my frequent lunch was canned beef stew and powdered mash. Or breakfast x2 combo. Or grilled cheese. That may have been it lol.

I actually made a nostalgic traditional meal thread a while ago. It was super fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Had a medical for me apprenticeship when I was 16, company Doc put his hand on me chest went breathe in, breathe out, told me I was alive and that was it more or less, found out later he used to spend as much time as he could in the local working mens club, getting bladdered....

Nor me, love salmon but the skin don't do it.... I had to look up kraft dinner too, ooh, no ta.... The head of the family doing the dead animal carving, thats proper mans work that....
    Looooool. Strange definition of "working" that one.

You gotta let it get crispy... Salmon bacon!

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Nope I had that too! Or at least versions of it. One summer my brother and my frequent lunch was canned beef stew and powdered mash. Or breakfast x2 combo. Or grilled cheese. That may have been it lol.

I actually made a nostalgic traditional meal thread a while ago. It was super fun.
    Nostalgic/cheap eats was instant mash with ground pepper on toast when I was a kid, really filling, some of the heathens topped it with cheese....

Looooool. Strange definition of "working" that one.

You gotta let it get crispy... Salmon bacon!
    From the impression I got, I think he was spending his wages faster than he earnt um, whilst at work....

Umm, that makes it sound better, might have to dap in me locally fishery tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Nostalgic/cheap eats was instant mash with ground pepper on toast when I was a kid, really filling, some of the heathens topped it with cheese....
    Hmm I guess that sounds like this "chip butty" the English eat...

From the impression I got, I think he was spending his wages faster than he earnt um, whilst at work....

Umm, that makes it sound better, might have to dap in me locally fishery tomorrow!
    A hot pan or the broiler will do it! You may have to peel it up just a little to get it done fast enough without burning.

Page 76 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast