Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long can you keep reserved bacon fat in the fridge? page

HealthyGirl is offline Member

How long can you keep reserved bacon fat in the fridge?

Primal Fuel
    Oh lawd, never thought I'd be asking this question!
    I made a batch of bacon last sunday, and still have some....I used some the other night to sautee brussel sprouts with onions..YUMMY!

Just wondering if it will keep another week? Still new to all of this..

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Keep it in the fridge and it'll last forever and ever. Not really, but I used bacon grease for several months and it never changed smell or anything. I periodically topped off the top with fresh grease though, so maybe I just kept the rancid stuff out of reach on the bottom =P I threw it out because I wanted to use a different jar and was a little worried about how long I'd kept it. You'll be fine for a couple of weeks at least!

Just give it a whiff and keep it closed, it should keep the same smell for as long as it's good.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

HealthyGirl is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Keep it in the fridge and it'll last forever and ever. Not really, but I used bacon grease for several months and it never changed smell or anything. I periodically topped off the top with fresh grease though, so maybe I just kept the rancid stuff out of reach on the bottom =P I threw it out because I wanted to use a different jar and was a little worried about how long I'd kept it. You'll be fine for a couple of weeks at least!

Just give it a whiff and keep it closed, it should keep the same smell for as long as it's good.
    Great! Thank you .

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    So long as it's in the fridge, it should be fine for MONTHS.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

happy1 is offline Member
    My mother used to keep the bacon fat canister on the countertop. As far as I know she never threw it out so that fat stayed on the counter continuously for YEARS! And no illnesses in our family? Maybe it was the bacon fat that kept us so well preserved?!

sn75 is offline Junior Member
    Fridge, lol. I've never put mine in the fridge. Keep it in a Mason jar in the pantry. Don't know how long it stays good for (I use it too quickly). But, my guess is 6+ months (or longer).

iamshazza is offline Junior Member
    I keep mine sitting on the counter in a mason jar. Ive never had any go bad but then again I use it pretty often in cooking and making bacon flavored dog treats
    "It's not a hill it's a mountain as we start out the climb..."

sarah k. is offline Member
    I'm a little jealous of y'all who have enough to keep it in a Mason jar. I reserve the fat from 20 oz of bacon, and that fills an 1/2 cup bowl, with some leftover for scrambled eggs. Then I use that for the next couple days for whatever needs it, until I run out and I make more bacon. It never goes into the fridge. I do have a tub of lard that's in the fridge, just because I don't use it quite as fast, since I always have bacon grease, and who doesn't like that extra bacony flavor when it's available? As long as it's cool enough for the grease to be sorta solid, you'll be fine in or out of the fridge. If it gets hot in your kitchen and the grease is runny, you should move it to the fridge.

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Huh, I never realized you could keep it at room temperature. Mine is in the fridge. I never throw it away, just use it and add to it.

And not having enough ... I didn't know that was possible!! We make bacon (or hog jowls) every weekend and 1 lb of it gives us a LOT of leftover fat. I think I get more fat off the stuff from my local farmer than the grocery store, but this stuff is uncured and from pastured pigs so I feel a lot better eating it.

andyTHFC is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've had mine in the fridge for years....still works for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast