Thread: Day 2.5, dizzy, but month-long migraine is gone. page

KitINstLOUIS is offline Junior Member

Day 2.5, dizzy, but month-long migraine is gone.

Shop Now
    I agree that leaky gut may be at the root of my allergy, autoimmune and migraine issues, but I also understand that carb addiction is real. Every grain has it's opioid compliment. That's why rice-dependent Asians are unsatisfied eating wheat-rich western foods and Asian foods have the reputation (in the west) of leaving us hungry. I am planning to be starch free within 4 weeks, but plan to eat a little gluten-free bread every day for the first couple of weeks until withdrawal fades. Hey, it works for caffeine and Ativan, why should carbs be any different?

Otherwise I'm on a Paleo elimination diet of no beef or chicken, or dairy until I can get to the bottom of all the food sensitivities I've experienced of late. The only eggs are what is in the slice to half slice of gf bread I'll be having for a few days. I'm eating duck, Cornish hens, lamb, bison and deep-water seafood and will add in forbidden foods one at a time in three-week intervals so I can sort out what is what. I think my immune system is confused by the worst allergy season on record (St. Louis is one of the worst allergy areas as it is), and just needs a break.

I have biopsy-diagnosed celiac disease, thyroid disease (Hashi's and Graves'), pernicious anemia, eczema, etc., gluten free for ten years, thyroid removed, on ERFA natural thyroid replacement 150-180 mg. daily.

Nelle is offline Senior Member
    There might other crap in gluten-free bread (and other stuff) that might not be good for you. (corn and soy ingredients, sugar) A lot of people that I know who have a wheat allergy also are allergic (or "sensitive" to) to peas, corn, strawberries, shellfish, peanuts and/or tree nuts, eggs, and some also to dairy. Personally, I wouldn't blame the chicken or beef but I'm not you nor do I know your body/situation. But some of the legumes, other grains, and dairy would be the place to start in terms of getting rid of potentially harmful foods.

And welcome! The first days are the hardest. Drink lots of water, get some light exercise and some good sleep.

KitINstLOUIS is offline Junior Member

gluten free bread

Thanks for the welcome, most appreciated!

Yeah, I can't eat corn at all, and am avoiding all the other things you mentioned as well. I figure that way I'm on a good baseline for a few weeks to test for allergies one food at a time. The bread I'm eating is Rudi's original, no corn, some sugar and honey, 17 grams of carb a slice (I'm eating just half a slice, in two days will cut that in half, and so on). But the bread does have rice and potato starch, too. No matter, I won't be on it for long, just long enough to ease the carb jones. There are some egg whites, which I'm avoiding on the elimination diet because they tend to be allergenic and they didn't sit well with me last week when I had a couple of hard boiled ones for breakfast. I want to get away from starch altogether for a while, anyhow.

I'm hoping that when my immune system calms down, I can eat some of the stuff that's now making me sick, but I don't want to push it. The thing that motivated me to try an elminiation diet (the Paleo way) is last week I made a beautiful roast with carrots, onions, garlic, red wine and packaged beef broth (Manischevitz). About 15 minutes after eating it I got a massive migraine after 6 mos of only very slight headache if any, which I put down to going totally off corn and dairy. I thought it might have been a coincidence, so I tried some leftovers 2 days later...I nearly threw up and the headache came roaring back. Three days after that, my husband brought home some beautiful grass-fed rib-eyes from whole foods. I ate steak and sauteed leeks, nothing else. Did throw up that time, massive headache was back, felt too bloated to move for the rest of the day. (I realize that both of these meals were fairly paleo, except for the red wine.) So how many times do I have to be hit over the head before I change my ways. Clearly the answer is three!

The reason I'm going paleo instead of just back on the specific carbohydrate diet (no starches, no carbs more complicated than monosaccharines) is that I usually feel ok with a little bit of yam; I will stay off it for the time being though, since starch is still bloating me quite a bit. I think there are more avenues for social support on Paleo, too. With as many autoimmune/allergic issues as I face right now, eating with an eye on what the human body has adapted itself to eat just makes sense to me...in, um, a primal sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    There might other crap in gluten-free bread (and other stuff) that might not be good for you. (corn and soy ingredients, sugar) A lot of people that I know who have a wheat allergy also are allergic (or "sensitive" to) to peas, corn, strawberries, shellfish, peanuts and/or tree nuts, eggs, and some also to dairy. Personally, I wouldn't blame the chicken or beef but I'm not you nor do I know your body/situation. But some of the legumes, other grains, and dairy would be the place to start in terms of getting rid of potentially harmful foods.

And welcome! The first days are the hardest. Drink lots of water, get some light exercise and some good sleep. :)