Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbs WITHOUT Exercise - Advice Please! page

monkeysee is offline Junior Member

Question Carbs WITHOUT Exercise - Advice Please!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I couldn't come up with a good title for this thread - It's likely someone has posted on this topic already but I don't have the time to find it.

Here is the background:
    I am a college student with an extremely limited time for exercise. I basically don't exercise anymore, unless on weekends or days off. I enjoy it when I have time but after a long day on campus and physically/mentally exhausted, sweating is the last thing I want to do (or need to do, since my body is stressed already). I am 21 years old and I would rather not burn the candle at both ends in my prime.

So my questions are:
    Has anyone lost weight - 10-20 lbs or so - WITHOUT exercise?
    If so, how many carbs did you eat each day/week?
    How many calories (if you tracked them) each day/week?
    If you haven't done this but you are successful with primal, what would you recommend for diet?

Thanks!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Find the time to move, long walk, bike ride play...it counts as exercise and will lower your stress big time.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Faith S. is offline Junior Member
    Ah, the awesome college days. Back when all I had to do to lose weight was stop eating candy and take longer walks a couple times a week. ::sigh::

I went to the gym before my 9 a.m. class when I was your age. In fact, during my senior year, I moved closer to the gym and further from college (lived in west LA, and commuted to college in Malibu each day), because the traffic was easier that way.

Now that I'm a worker bee, in a job that I work M - F/8 - 5, I either work out in the morning at 5:00 or 5:30, or in the evening at 5:30 or 6. And on weekends, if I so choose.

I took a break from working out for a year here and another year there...and my previously 5'5" tall 135 pound body slowly climbed up to 220 pounds. And now I cannot believe I allowed myself to take those breaks! What was I thinking???

Anyway, point being, find a way to get some exercise. Even if it's quick 30 minute workouts just 3 days a week. Keep it up.

Calorie defecits are relative to your body (height and current weight). For example, at my age, I find the best calorie range for weight loss for myself is about 1300 -1500 calories on average per day. But...I also work out. If I wasn't working out, I'd probably have to try to keep it to below 1200 per day, to be honest. And I'd be bitchy as hell! Because working out helps me keep my stress levels down.

But I'm a 220 pound 5'5" tall woman in her late 30's. So...hard to say what would work for you.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I lost most of my weight visible in my avatar with a moderately low carb diet and walking around campus (I work on a university campus and would take an easy walk at lunch.) Moderately low meant that I ate meat (fish, chicken, beef, liver) and eggs and added low starch vegetables like mushrooms, Swiss chard or other leafy greens. Other veggies sometimes, too, but always a moderate amount. A quarter of a sweet potato at most for dinner. A salad to me meant sliced tomatoes and avocado. Lots of butter with my meals and cream sauces on my fish. Good luck.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Ayla is offline Senior Member
    You might find Gary Taubes' book Why We Get Fat very interesting.
    28, female, 5'2"
    Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
    1/12/12: 135 lbs.
    Goal: 120 lbs.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    I lost my first 70lbs without exercise. Zero. Then, I couldn't even walk 5 mins without needing to sit down to catch my breath.

All I did was cut out sugar and starches of all kinds. Took only about 6 months to lose those 70lbs.

Lost the rest of my weight with lots of exercise, and adding back a little fruit and sweet potatoes. A handful of blueberries a day and 1 medium sweet potato on my lifting days. As much veggies and meat as I wanted. Occasional cheese and macadamias.

Effortless maintenance at 10% body fat now doing the same, and I'm old enough to be a college student's dad.

Dave Mayo is offline Senior Member
    I would say as long as you walk a lot and eat a paleo-like diet your average person would drop at least 20, an obese person more. If you are already fairly well built or in shape 20lbs is unlikely, but you'd be surprised what 10lbs coming off a person who is in already in decent shape looks like. Get 10k steps in a day, DB row or pull ups and push ups in your room.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I remember walking a heck of a lot from class to class to the dorms or parking structure because unless one lucked out, it's only possible to find a space a mile away, but I digress. It was super easy to be thin in college because of all the walking (which is supposed to be a major part of your exercise being primal). I would recommend you just chill on the weekdays and lift weights and do some sprinting on the weekends. Enjoy your metabolism while it's high and don't stress about the food too much. It's college, have fun!
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

monkeysee is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Faith S. View Post
    Ah, the awesome college days. Back when all I had to do to lose weight was stop eating candy and take longer walks a couple times a week. ::sigh::

I went to the gym before my 9 a.m. class when I was your age....Now that I'm a worker bee, in a job that I work M - F/8 - 5, I either work out in the morning at 5:00 or 5:30, or in the evening at 5:30 or 6. And on weekends, if I so choose....Anyway, point being, find a way to get some exercise. Even if it's quick 30 minute workouts just 3 days a week. Keep it up.... But I'm a 220 pound 5'5" tall woman in her late 30's. So...hard to say what would work for you.
    Thanks for sharing your personal experience and thank you for the advice. Exercising for a select number of days each week is a good idea. I used to get up at 5 AM to workout at 6 AM and I had my own stationary bicycle in my room. Those were the days! Now, it's a 20- to 25-minute walk to my gym from my apartment (I don't have a car). I want to have exercise written into my schedule and realistically so. I don't want to be stressed out because of exercise, I want to be relaxed by it. That is how life used to be for me but now I have so much going on that exercise is another 2 hours shaved off precious study time.

Faith S. is offline Junior Member
    I hear ya, monkeysee. I've changed my workout schedule in the last several months because getting up early wasn't working so great for me anymore. And like you said, I don't want to be stressed out by thinking of just GOING TO the gym! So the personal trainer I see twice a week switched things up, and we meet after work and on weekends now.

I have a treadmill in my basement that I use for sprinting, and my husband and I go on walks with the dogs for additional exercise. Sometimes, I take a walk around my work campus on gorgeous days like today! (I need to get up and do that in a few minutes, here. )

Study time IS important, I know. It was awful for me, actually...I was a terrible student. So yeah...just work in a couple of workouts a week, if you can. I don't beat myself up if I miss a workout. (Maybe that's also part of my 220 pound weighing ass, though! Hahahaha!) But it IS important to me as a stress reliever, and as a general way to make me feel better about myself. That's all.

Like others have said above, you CAN lose weight without the exercise. But it's just not a habit I personally would recommend for the long haul, is all. And it's surprising how easy it can be to get out of the habit of exercising. In my experience, anyway!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast