Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Carbs WITHOUT Exercise - Advice Please! page 4

climbergirl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeysee View Post
    Yeah, definitely! At the beginning of the semester I made a strong effort but I found myself more and more drained and my grades dropped with lack of energy and sleep. I read the chapter in Taubes's book about exercise early on in the semester and it led me to question how beneficial 2 hours' worth of cardio and showers actually were. I did some research on my own about the benefits of exercise (if any) and came to the conclusion that moderate activity improves health factors and longevity in some cases, but has little/no effect on true weight loss...at least not to the degree that calorie and carbohydrate restriction do. I have a small garden that I tend, I walk at least 40 minutes to and from class (with a 15-pound backpack...yeah, I weighed it), and I climb at least 12 flights of stairs twice a week. When I look at it that way (this is the first time I have done so, actually) I get quite a bit of exercise! I had been running at least 25 miles a week early on in the semester in addition to everything else... maybe I'm just feeling false guilt?
    Haha possibly. I used to be super-structured with my exercise before I gained a bunch of weight, but I secretly loathed it. Just taking a look at your day and what exercise you do naturally really helps put things in perspective. It sounds like you're on the right track!
    My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    You don't have to work out daily at all, all that matters is how intense you make your workout.

Lastly, this isn't to help you "lose weight" or fat or anything. It's to build a strong body, which is going to help you in many other aspects, psychologically, mentally, emotionally, fucking spiritually if you lean that way... so don't just loo upon it as a way to "shed fat" your food can take care of that, think of it as a necessity, "being strong" is an all-encompassing thing. It's not just how much weight you lift or how many reps of X thing you can do.

Read this: The Iron by Henry Rollins | Oldtime Strongman

Peace.

EDIT: Before you can say "but I really have no space at home..." two things: a) Fuck you. and b) read this: Muscles of Iron - Articles (< all of these can be done in minimal space, your bathroom even, so shut up)

Love you bro.
    This is great advice Considering where I'm at, I'm taking this advice to heart as well.

p.s. Waves from NJ, iniQuity!
    My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbergirl View Post
    This is great advice Considering where I'm at, I'm taking this advice to heart as well.

p.s. Waves from NJ, iniQuity!
    I don't talk to Rutgers people, way too many cooties.

I don't talk to Rutgers people, way too many cooties.
    Oh shush and get over yourself. North Jersey is just as cootie-filled

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I was going to counter by saying the closer you get to the shore the more cooties, then I realized that the worst people down the shore come from North Jerz.

You win.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Monkeysee, how many carbs do you eat NOW? Average CW it is 300+. If you cut down to under 100 or even under 50 if you can do it you will lose weight. So very little bread/pasta/rice etc - and I'd recommend NO wheat if you can achieve it on a college diet. If you have pizza, for example, eat the topping and not the base, or at least not all of it.

I'd also suggest walking the long way to everything, make yourself exercise more in your everyday routine. Use stairs, not elevators, and if you can have a pre-brakfast or after supper walk - even if it is only 1 mile it is extra to what you do now - it will impact on your body. When you do have time, do some hard workouts (your sprints & lift heavy things occasionally from the PB) and see how you go.

While I appreciate the sentiments of those telling you to get a grip on yourself, it's somewhat counterprouctive, you have to work with what you have. Good luck with it.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Monika is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    You might find Gary Taubes' book Why We Get Fat very interesting.
    This book f'ing RULES!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I lost weight probably mostly muscle and sure some fat from calorie restriction alone. In my early to mid 30s I maintained the weight loss through eating close to bmr with a lot of protein, mostly fish, and no wheat or dairy, few grains etc.

monkeysee is offline Junior Member
    Anyway, seriously dude, seriously seriously seriously dude: FOCUS ON STRENGTH WORK. Fuck cardio, or whatever the fuck, that shit is bogus. Yes, when you are trying to do less exercise you don't need to take in as many carbs, and yes you will probably lose weight steadily if you watch your food, absolutely.

However, if you can devote ONE HOUR in ONE WEEK to strength-based work, your body will thank you for it. I'm talking about one TOTAL HOUR across one WHOLE ENTIRE WEEK, not one one-hour session once a week.

You don't have to work out daily at all, all that matters is how intense you make your workout.
    I can do Saturday workouts. I usually do 20-30 minutes of strength training on weekends if I go to the gym anyway because I know strength training is good for my body and I have the extra time on a Saturday.

I love cardio, personally. That's where the "relaxation" part of exercise comes in for me. I get into a rhythm and let my mind wander. If I'm frustrated or angry about something I increase the resistance or speed - you get the idea. It's great for me. I hate strength training though. I made a schedule a couple semesters ago that included strength training 3 days a week of 20-30 minutes each session and I positively hated it. Like I said, I strength train anyway so it's not like I can't push myself.

I'm pretty sure I am sending mixed messages about time and exercise, so to clarify: I have a beautiful schedule laid out with "my time" viewable in chunks from 5:00 in the morning to 9:00 in the evening. That is a 16-hour day and an 8-hour night. It's a great set-up but it's not reality. As I'm sure everyone knows, things come up that must be completed whether they are scheduled for an hour or not. One of those things is falling asleep. I have chronic insomnia - I lay in bed awake for 5 hours, too mentally exhausted to study and too physically exhausted to exercise and yet completely unable to fall asleep. It really sucks. Falling asleep by 9:00 is just a suggestion - I might not fall asleep until 2 AM. Once asleep, however, my body will go through all the sleep cycles and right through my alarm. I have done everything to stop this cycle. Prescription sleeping pills didn't stop the 5-hour-lay-in-bed problem either. I just stay awake (even without caffeine). So all that to say, I may or may not be up at 5 AM like I want to be. If I am, I can workout at 6 AM. If I am not, that means I have to get all my assignments done by 6 PM so I can exercise, shower, have a bedtime routine, try to fall asleep by 9 PM. Getting everything done by 6 PM is crazy and impossible. I don't think I have ever done that. My classes are over by 2 PM so that's only 4 hours to do calculus, organic chemistry, endocrinology, physics... In order to make room for exercise I have to make room for sleep. In order to make room for sleep, I have to set my schedule back to 6 PM. If I set my schedule back, I am no longer focusing on schoolwork, which is the whole reason why I have a gym in the first place.

I don't drink, I don't party, I don't do drugs, I have no social life (literally - the only time I "get together with friends" is Sunday morning church). The only reason I have time for Mark's Daily Apple is because it is scheduled into my calendar as my "coffee hour" first thing in the morning. Otherwise, I have no time for it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234