Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeysee View Post
    Statements:
    (1) "...you're being ridiculous"
    (2) "college has got to be the most open, free time in life."

Assumptions:
    [A] You are not being ridiculous
    [B] College is the same for all people

For (2) to be true, [B] must be true, which would mean all people are one person and that person goes to college. Since you are a male in Los Angeles and I am a female in Tennessee and we have different parents, all people cannot be one person. Furthermore, all people do not go to college. Therefore, [B] cannot be true and (2) is not true. For (1) to be true, [A] may or may not be true. The definition of the word "ridiculous", given in the Oxford English Dictionary, is an adjective meaning: "deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd". Since adjectives modify or describe nouns, I am the noun deserving or inviting derision or mockery in (1). It follows that (1) is justified by (2), which has already been shown to be untrue. Therefore, (1) has no justification and [A] may or may not be true.

lol.
    See, this is why I wish I took more than that one philosophy class in college. Ah well only so many hours in the day and the science was kinda necessary. Maybe I'll take it up in my spare time some day.

monkeysee is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbergirl View Post
    Oh look, someone who's in the same boat as me! (Also 21 and in college)

I know the feeling of having no time (I literally don't), but there is a valid point to trying to MAKE time to exercise; I mean I haven't gotten there either, so i'm not perfect in any means.

I think it's trying to find where exercise best fits in for you; walking to class, biking to class, pushups before bed, yoga/stretching in the morning - it all adds up. It doesn't have to be a hard-core regimented thing

Hope that helps some. Now I should probably motivate myself to do the same lol.
    Yeah, definitely! At the beginning of the semester I made a strong effort but I found myself more and more drained and my grades dropped with lack of energy and sleep. I read the chapter in Taubes's book about exercise early on in the semester and it led me to question how beneficial 2 hours' worth of cardio and showers actually were. I did some research on my own about the benefits of exercise (if any) and came to the conclusion that moderate activity improves health factors and longevity in some cases, but has little/no effect on true weight loss...at least not to the degree that calorie and carbohydrate restriction do. I have a small garden that I tend, I walk at least 40 minutes to and from class (with a 15-pound backpack...yeah, I weighed it), and I climb at least 12 flights of stairs twice a week. When I look at it that way (this is the first time I have done so, actually) I get quite a bit of exercise! I had been running at least 25 miles a week early on in the semester in addition to everything else... maybe I'm just feeling false guilt?

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    See, this is why I wish I took more than that one philosophy class in college. Ah well only so many hours in the day and the science was kinda necessary. Maybe I'll take it up in my spare time some day.
    What science classes did you take, if you don't mind my asking? Did you major in the sciences or just opted for science classes? I am a biology major who just might turn to the dark side and add a major in chemistry also (because, well, I've been in school forever already and the difference between over-qualified undergraduate and qualified undergraduate is two chem classes). I never finished philosophy class, actually. I dropped it the second week - math was just as fun ;D

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Statements:
    (1) "...you're being ridiculous"
    (2) "college has got to be the most open, free time in life."

Assumptions:
    [A] You are not being ridiculous
    [B] College is the same for all people

For (2) to be true, [B] must be true, which would mean all people are one person and that person goes to college. Since you are a male in Los Angeles and I am a female in Tennessee and we have different parents, all people cannot be one person. Furthermore, all people do not go to college. Therefore, [B] cannot be true and (2) is not true. For (1) to be true, [A] may or may not be true. The definition of the word "ridiculous", given in the Oxford English Dictionary, is an adjective meaning: "deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd". Since adjectives modify or describe nouns, I am the noun deserving or inviting derision or mockery in (1). It follows that (1) is justified by (2), which has already been shown to be untrue. Therefore, (1) has no justification and [A] may or may not be true.

lol.

i have no desire to be mean, or to keep fighting, or make you feel like you need to defend yourself. but you have the time to work out crappy syllogisms and butcher the discipline of formal logic - put down the computer and move around a bit.

you'll look back on this time, your unique college experience, when you're in your thirties and think about how much busier you are at that point. and if it's the other way around, then i'm really sorry for you!

best of luck here. losing weight comes down to calories, body composition comes down to exercise and macros.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    OMG! Good to know! Can I ask, about how many grams of carbs do you eat on a non-lifting day vs. a lifting day? That would really help me with comparison. If an adult male who exercises moderately ends up with fewer carbs eaten at the end of a day than a small, adult female who does not exercise...face-palm.
    Non lifting day: as much veggies as I want (usually a family sized pack of Eartbound organic salad or a whole large head of broccoli with 10 sheets of Nori seaweed for wrapping my meat)

Lifting day: as much veggies as I want + 1 medium sweet potato + a handful of blueberries

BlissfuWriter is offline Junior Member
    Although I do feel that the types of food we eat have a greater effect on weight than exercise, it is still best to try to get some exercise for the many other benefits of exercise other than just weigh lost. Avoid sugar and processed carbs and it is possible to lose some weight without exercise. However, you still want exercise to reduce inflammation, improved cardiovascular system, maintain bone strength, decrease risk of Alzhemier's, and improve mood.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    i have no desire to be mean, or to keep fighting, or make you feel like you need to defend yourself. but you have the time to work out crappy syllogisms and butcher the discipline of formal logic - put down the computer and move around a bit.

you'll look back on this time, your unique college experience, when you're in your thirties and think about how much busier you are at that point. and if it's the other way around, then i'm really sorry for you!

best of luck here. losing weight comes down to calories, body composition comes down to exercise and macros.
    Ok, that's fair. While I am still looking for the answers (and thanks to this thread, finally getting some!) it appears that when one is low carbing, exercise matters less than macros for body composition. And exercise seems to matter much less when low carbing than when high carbing/low fatting. What do you think (agree/disagree)? What was your experience and what did you do? That's what I'm trying to find out. I'm not a fan of testimonials under most other circumstances but in this case, I would really like to know what people outside of controlled studies have to say

Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    Non lifting day: as much veggies as I want (usually a family sized pack of Eartbound organic salad or a whole large head of broccoli with 10 sheets of Nori seaweed for wrapping my meat)

Lifting day: as much veggies as I want + 1 medium sweet potato + a handful of blueberries
    Thanks chickenbackside! Er...I'm definitely eating more carbs than you. The Nori seaweed is a fantastic idea! I have some sheets that I don't know what to do with - I will try a Nori seaweed wrap tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    That's a very low body fat percentage to attain without exercise. You are probably looking at something that is very difficult to do at best. Still, there is a blogger out there who doesn't exactly follow the primal blueprint yet maintains a very low body fat without much or any exercise. The Scribble Pad
    I had a chance to look over the link you posted - that is great!!! Thanks so much, it's exactly the type of motivation I needed. Now, I am still not sure whether it works for everyone under all circumstances and I know I need to exercise at least a little each week but thank goodness no one is telling me the only way to lose weight is through running 6 miles a day! I looked at calorie restriction (CR) too, since it's the easiest method for me, and many of its proponents have very low percentages (even women) without exercise. Then again, they have practiced CR for a very long time (2-6 years). So it seems like low body fat is probably attainable with little exercise if one is patient or successful at a lifestyle overhaul. I am not patient and obviously not successful at the lifestyle overhaul (yet)...so, yeah, it is probably going to be difficult for me. I am still going to try - I need to be more consistent anyway.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    "If I could say just one thing to y'all tonight, it'd be 'Set the artist free' I'm talking about the artist in here, set it free! focus on your craft! one time, before you know it, it's all over, you lost it, you squandered it, you fuckin' robots!" - Tenacious D.

Anyway, seriously dude, seriously seriously seriously dude: FOCUS ON STRENGTH WORK. Fuck cardio, or whatever the fuck, that shit is bogus. Yes, when you are trying to do less exercise you don't need to take in as many carbs, and yes you will probably lose weight steadily if you watch your food, absolutely.

However, if you can devote ONE HOUR in ONE WEEK to strength-based work, your body will thank you for it. I'm talking about one TOTAL HOUR across one WHOLE ENTIRE WEEK, not one one-hour session once a week. Can you give yourself that time? Can you put a pull-up bar over your door frame, grab a backpack with some books, laptops, anything to make it heavy and do some heavy as fuck static holds? Can you give me three sets of as many seconds as you can hold, while slowly bringing yourself down (ie: negatives)?

the answer is YES.

I haven't read Body by Science, I plan to, but you might want to. That book is all about increasing strength while putting in minimal time at the gym (but maximum effort, note). People are literally doing 20 minute strength-based workouts, ONCE A WEEK. If you don't have that time... well, you're just flat out lying to yourself, and wasting our time over here.

Now, I don't advise you to go and use a Nautilus machine like they do (or any machine, but ONLY because it would require you to actually go to a gym which would increase the time you spend "working out" and you seem really pressed for time) what I'm advising you do is LEARN the concepts and find ways to imitate them in your living space. The example I put forth for slow static holds + negatives with as much weight as you can muster is just one way to do that.

You don't have to work out daily at all, all that matters is how intense you make your workout.

Lastly, this isn't to help you "lose weight" or fat or anything. It's to build a strong body, which is going to help you in many other aspects, psychologically, mentally, emotionally, fucking spiritually if you lean that way... so don't just loo upon it as a way to "shed fat" your food can take care of that, think of it as a necessity, "being strong" is an all-encompassing thing. It's not just how much weight you lift or how many reps of X thing you can do.

Read this: The Iron by Henry Rollins | Oldtime Strongman

Peace.

EDIT: Before you can say "but I really have no space at home..." two things: a) Fuck you. and b) read this: Muscles of Iron - Articles (< all of these can be done in minimal space, your bathroom even, so shut up)

Love you bro.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 04-12-2012 at 05:47 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast