Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carbs WITHOUT Exercise - Advice Please! page 2

monkeysee is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mayo View Post
    I would say as long as you walk a lot and eat a paleo-like diet your average person would drop at least 20, an obese person more. If you are already fairly well built or in shape 20lbs is unlikely, but you'd be surprised what 10lbs coming off a person who is in already in decent shape looks like. Get 10k steps in a day, DB row or pull ups and push ups in your room.
    This is what I would guess also... I am 5'5", 125-128 lbs (I was 121 lbs 4-6 weeks ago). So, yes, I am an acceptable weight but I have a very small frame and an unfortunate case of chronically high body fat. I am wanting very much to reduce my body fat percentage once and for all but wondering how effective I will be at doing so if I just keep carbs low.

Two schools of thought I have heard to address the body fat percentage issue are...
    1. Reduce carbohydrates, exercise wisely, moderately, or very little; don't worry about calories
    2. Eat lots of carbs because your body needs them because you are working out so much to burn them off to lose fat; calories count

Still, I have yet to hear from someone who maintains low (12%-17% for women) body fat with little or no exercise, so that causes me to doubt the credibility of the first school of thought, while the second school of thought makes my cortisol levels scream just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    I lost my first 70lbs without exercise. Zero. Then, I couldn't even walk 5 mins without needing to sit down to catch my breath.

All I did was cut out sugar and starches of all kinds. Took only about 6 months to lose those 70lbs.

Lost the rest of my weight with lots of exercise, and adding back a little fruit and sweet potatoes. A handful of blueberries a day and 1 medium sweet potato on my lifting days. As much veggies and meat as I wanted. Occasional cheese and macadamias.

Effortless maintenance at 10% body fat now doing the same, and I'm old enough to be a college student's dad.
    OMG! Good to know! Can I ask, about how many grams of carbs do you eat on a non-lifting day vs. a lifting day? That would really help me with comparison. If an adult male who exercises moderately ends up with fewer carbs eaten at the end of a day than a small, adult female who does not exercise...face-palm.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I recommend looking up the book Body by Science. Exercise 1-2x/week at a high intensity for about 15 minutes. Thats all you really need.

Dunno if people have already pointed out, but you don't really exercise to lose weight. Exercising to burn excess calories is futile at best. What the correct exercise (resistance training) really does for you is send the signals to hang on or increase your lean mass raising your metabolic rate and making sustained weight loss easier. No use losing a bunch of weight if its all muscle and bone!
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-11-2012 at 01:49 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeysee View Post
    Still, I have yet to hear from someone who maintains low (12%-17% for women) body fat with little or no exercise, so that causes me to doubt the credibility of the first school of thought, while the second school of thought makes my cortisol levels scream just thinking about it.
    That's a very low body fat percentage to attain without exercise. You are probably looking at something that is very difficult to do at best. Still, there is a blogger out there who doesn't exactly follow the primal blueprint yet maintains a very low body fat without much or any exercise. The Scribble Pad
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

jakey is offline Senior Member
    I basically don't exercise anymore, unless on weekends or days off. I enjoy it when I have time but after a long day on campus and physically/mentally exhausted, sweating is the last thing I want to do (or need to do, since my body is stressed already). I am 21 years old and I would rather not burn the candle at both ends in my prime.
    time for tough talk. you're being ridiculous. you're 21 and a college student and you can't find time to exercise because you're physically/mentally exhausted? come on, dude. it's not like life gets less busy from here. college has got to be the most open, free time in life. you're 21, the chances of 'burning the candle at both ends' are slim to none. you're not middle aged!

okay, that being said, you can easily lose weight without exercising. your body comp will suck, but it has nothing to do with carbs either, it has to do with calories. plenty of people have lost weight on high carb diets. weight watchers works for lots of people.

your best bet would be to realize where you're at in life (!!!), and make some time to exercise, for the sake of life after your prime. diet should be sensible but not carphobic.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Personally I'd rather keep some fat and be strong than be skinny fat and weak. I'm sure the former is actually quite a bit healthier in the long run also.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    time for tough talk. you're being ridiculous. you're 21 and a college student and you can't find time to exercise because you're physically/mentally exhausted? come on, dude. it's not like life gets less busy from here. college has got to be the most open, free time in life. you're 21, the chances of 'burning the candle at both ends' are slim to none. you're not middle aged!

okay, that being said, you can easily lose weight without exercising. your body comp will suck, but it has nothing to do with carbs either, it has to do with calories. plenty of people have lost weight on high carb diets. weight watchers works for lots of people.

your best bet would be to realize where you're at in life (!!!), and make some time to exercise, for the sake of life after your prime. diet should be sensible but not carphobic.
    This is rude.

climbergirl is offline Senior Member
    Oh look, someone who's in the same boat as me! (Also 21 and in college)

I know the feeling of having no time (I literally don't), but there is a valid point to trying to MAKE time to exercise; I mean I haven't gotten there either, so i'm not perfect in any means.

I think it's trying to find where exercise best fits in for you; walking to class, biking to class, pushups before bed, yoga/stretching in the morning - it all adds up. It doesn't have to be a hard-core regimented thing

Hope that helps some. Now I should probably motivate myself to do the same lol.
    My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    This is rude.
    wipe away those tears, sunshine. it won't be the last statement you hear in life that will offend you.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    wipe away those tears, sunshine. it won't be the last statement you hear in life that will offend you.

Statements:
    (1) "...you're being ridiculous"
    (2) "college has got to be the most open, free time in life."

Assumptions:
    [A] You are not being ridiculous
    [B] College is the same for all people

For (2) to be true, [B] must be true, which would mean all people are one person and that person goes to college. Since you are a male in Los Angeles and I am a female in Tennessee and we have different parents, all people cannot be one person. Furthermore, all people do not go to college. Therefore, [B] cannot be true and (2) is not true. For (1) to be true, [A] may or may not be true. The definition of the word "ridiculous", given in the Oxford English Dictionary, is an adjective meaning: "deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd". Since adjectives modify or describe nouns, I am the noun deserving or inviting derision or mockery in (1). It follows that (1) is justified by (2), which has already been shown to be untrue. Therefore, (1) has no justification and [A] may or may not be true.

lol.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast