Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Primal and curious about why my calorie intake is sooo much lower... page

PaleoHeather is offline Junior Member

Question New to Primal and curious about why my calorie intake is sooo much lower...

Shop Now
    Hi, my name is Heather and I'm very new to Primal and curious about why my calorie intake is sooo much lower...but I'm not hungry!

First, I am 194 and 5'6", female, age 27. I've been doing Primal for 3 days. I tracked what I was eating on livestrong.com/myplate to make sure I was eating enough fat and protein while sticking to Primal foods.

Here is what I found the past two days:
    Day one, 1578 calories, 95 g fat, 76 g carbs, 21g fiber, 112 g protein.
    Day two, 1268 calories, 66 g fat, 91 g carbs, 25 g fiber, 83 g protein.

So, am I eating enough food and enough fat and protein? According to the carbohydrate curve I am staying in the 50-100g of carbs per day to lose weight easily. It's weird because I'm going to bed satisfied after not eating for several hours and not waking up hungry. When eating a carb heavy diet I had trouble sticking to 1800 calories and I was hungry all the time,

@lex is offline Senior Member
    You're eating highly satiating foods rich in nutrients and so on instead of nutritionally poor and processed garbage, so you don't need to eat as much. Real food also doesn't encourage overeating in the ways that processed junk does, so you're no longer eating for entertainment and simply eating to fill a nutritional need.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Your blood sugar isn't going up and down as much so you are not so hungry. And because your insulin levels are steadier, you will lose weight more easily (insulin gets in the way of losing weight) without a lot of hunger. It's great.

Here's a good article that explains why many modern foods leave you hungry and wanting to eat more.
    Why Snack Food Is Addictive: The Grand Unified Theory of Snack Appeal - GNOLLS.ORG
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Is 1200-1500 calories daily enough? I am trying to lose body fat...

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Nobody knows how many calories is "enough" for you, metabolisms vary hugely and online calculators are really not accurate enough to bother with. Just weigh yourself at the start, put the scale away for two weeks, and come back. Also get some "goal clothes", squeeze / wedge yourself into them, take pics, and after a month, repeat.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    If you eat til you are full and only when you are hungry, it will be enough. Don't pay any attention to calories. Focus on fat, carbs and protein. Your body will work out the rest.

I know that's a hard concept to switch too as I'm only 6 weeks old in Primal Land, but it is the key.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoHeather View Post
    Hi, my name is Heather and I'm very new to Primal and curious about why my calorie intake is sooo much lower...but I'm not hungry!

First, I am 194 and 5'6", female, age 27. I've been doing Primal for 3 days. I tracked what I was eating on livestrong.com/myplate to make sure I was eating enough fat and protein while sticking to Primal foods.

Here is what I found the past two days:
    Day one, 1578 calories, 95 g fat, 76 g carbs, 21g fiber, 112 g protein.
    Day two, 1268 calories, 66 g fat, 91 g carbs, 25 g fiber, 83 g protein.

So, am I eating enough food and enough fat and protein? According to the carbohydrate curve I am staying in the 50-100g of carbs per day to lose weight easily. It's weird because I'm going to bed satisfied after not eating for several hours and not waking up hungry. When eating a carb heavy diet I had trouble sticking to 1800 calories and I was hungry all the time,
    It's very, very common around here and there are probably several contributing factors. It's all pretty complex. I'd start by reading all of Mark's posts, then get hooked on Stephan Guyenet's blog, go read the old stuff on Paleonu, Wobb Wolf, etc.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    I only ate as I was hungry the first 3 days and my calories were very low.
    As days passed, I was more hungry, and ate more and more calories.
    You may find that happens, but don't worry about it -- eat!

I seem to have leveled-out and naturally eating about the same number of daily calories (after 2 weeks).

I too am amazed that I'm not hungry with the number of calories I'm eating.
    I stuck to South Beach about 1 year (and was hungry all the while).
    PB seems to like my body much better!
    Good luck.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    I'm 8 weeks in and had the same experience as Chatty--it went up and down at first. Now I find that if I'm stressed (work stress or working out really hard), I'll be hungrier. Since I'm mainly trying to lose fat right now, when that happens, I'll do an IF, get some more sleep, and do more walking, less lifting. Sound right to you gurus?

PrimalCon New York
    About 50% of my calories are coming from fat. Is that about right? The rest is about 25% each carbs and protein.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast