Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat burning vs. Fat storing? page

Suz Guest

Shop Now

So, I've gone completely primal a week ago and am not sure how much I should be eating to lose 5-7 lbs.

Typically I'll eat 2-3 meals a day with snacks. An example of the breakdown is below:

Total Calories: 1,429

Fat: 90.6

Carb: 64.2

Protein: 100.5

(my stats: 5'1, 125 lbs? I don't own a scale)

I've also been fatigued and low on energy with my CrossFit work outs (5x a week) and I can't tell if it's because of the amount of food I'm eating or if it's just the body getting used to the fats.

One bigger question I have is, sometimes I'll skip meals but am not sure when my body goes into fat storing mode vs. fat burning. Should skipping meals be kept to a minimum of once a week for IF? What is the balance between fat burning and fat storing?

Overall I came from strict Zone and am loving this Primal lifestyle. I feel much more sated and am glad to have found this community!

LabRat Guest

There is an adjustment period between your body relying mainly on dietary carbs for fuel and on fats- for me it took about a week before feeling fuzzed-out and drained turned to feeling more energetic than I had before.

How long have you been doing CrossFit and how long have you been on the 5 a week rate? Recovery ability is a trained factor too, and new CFers don't have it yet- I find with mine that I have to slowly ramp up to a full 3-1 schedule, or else I hit the overtraining wall and get, well, fatigued and low energy. A few days off sleeping soundly generally fixes it.

Suz Guest

Hmm, don't think it's the training since I've been CF'ing for 5 months now. I've heard that it just takes time to switch from carb burning to fat burning... will assume the fatigue is from that.

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

Wow! Your calories look super-low! If you've been doing strict Zone for awhile, your body should already be used to burning fat somewhat - it's not exactly a low fat diet. My gut reaction is just that you're not eating enough. You could up your protein and fat (maybe to 120g P and 100g F) and see if that helps with the fatigue.

Suz Guest

Oh...is that low for 125 lbs?? I'm so used to CW saying 1200 to lose that I thought I was doing pretty good!

I was doing strict Zone on 3 block ratios but felt I was ALWAYS hungry. Not to mention for some reason I was under the impression that fat was supposed to be minimal so my fat intake during Zone was actually only a table spoon or two of fat for B and D and maybe 15 almonds during the day.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Suz, I'm 125ish right now and eating about 1600/day on average, and losing weight.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Suz Guest

Thanks so much FNW! Are you trying to lose more? If so, do you plan to decrease your amount of calorie intake at some point?

Thanks again guys. I still get confused as to when the body decides to store body fat as opposed to burn it but I guess it's a matter of experimentation.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I'm not counting calories, but I'm entering my foods into a nutrition tracker so I make sure I get enough protein / not too many carbs (fat falling where it may). So today, for example, I ate over 1800 calories. A few days ago I IFed because I wasn't hungry and my calories were really low.

I'd like to lose more, but not by cutting calories (BTDT, didn't work - my metabolism slowed and I plateaued). Cutting the carbs seems to be working.

I also am not exercising currently.

Suz, your body will store fat when lots of insulin is present (after you eat something sweet/carby). In the absence of insulin, you'll use body fat for fuel.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Conan Guest

I'm also a crossfitter and it took me about 3 weeks to get used to lower carbs and higher fat. My workouts sucked, especially metcons while I was adjusting.

Suz Guest

Thanks again for answering my questions FNW.

Conan - my times currently are way below par! Good to hear that it's not just me. I'm hoping this phase will pass soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast