Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone out there a tennis player? page 2

McNack is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    I've never played but I am really considering it as the weather gets warmer. Someone from work invited me out and I already have an old racket in the garage; looking forward to it.

I do play a lot of squash, for about a year and a half, the last ~4 months as a primal fat burner. I have been so impressed with the change in my energy/stamina levels. Previously, especially if I hadn't ate before, I would 'bonk'/crash within an hour of playing. I still get winded on long ralleys, but recovery quickly and my 'tank' never seems to run dry, even if I have fasted all day. I seem to have as much energy at the end as I did at the start. It still amazes me and others have noticed. A couple people I played with have borrowed my copy of PBP because they were intesested it what I have changed (nothing but food!).

Wanted to chime in on the barefoot game too. I am sure it would tear up your feet truly barefoot, but I have been playing on the court in vibram FF since January and only have great things to say, I am sure it has improved my game (and my calves have gotten much bigger ). I'd highly recommend it.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavemanseph View Post
    I believe Novak djokovic is paleo and since he changed his diet he has hardly ever lost!
    Nah, he just went gluten-free, and I'm actually not even sure that's still the case. Regardless, I love primal too, but I'm pretty certain Novak's success has much more to do with his talent and hard work than his diet.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    My elbow says yes but I can't seem to remember ever actually playing.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

jtrain_36 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McNack View Post
    Wanted to chime in on the barefoot game too. I am sure it would tear up your feet truly barefoot, but I have been playing on the court in vibram FF since January and only have great things to say, I am sure it has improved my game (and my calves have gotten much bigger ). I'd highly recommend it.
    That's one of my gripes with the tennis shoe industry, I'd love some zero drop lightweight tennis shoes. I still need some cushion underfoot while playing tennis or else I'd be wearing my vivobarefoot aqua lites.

Kinnell is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrain_36 View Post
    That's one of my gripes with the tennis shoe industry, I'd love some zero drop lightweight tennis shoes. I still need some cushion underfoot while playing tennis or else I'd be wearing my vivobarefoot aqua lites.
    I started wearing my vibrams when playing badminton recently. At first it was pretty nasty - lots of heel striking and strain on the side of the foot. But I figured as with all things, I was probably moving wrong in the first place so persevered. I'm now in the habit of moving on the balls of my feet and standing with my feet spread outward so I can move quickly in any direction, like I instinctively do when changing direction barefoot. I reckon I'm more agile, giving my feet a better workout and probably reducing the chance of injury. As a bonus, the vibrams are super grippy

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    I play twice or thrice a week. I play in a singles league at a local club. I love the game. I went primal partly to improve my fitness so that i could get better at the game.

I am definitely better from a fitness point of view. I can hold out for three sets of fairly intensive singles reasonably well. UEs previously attributed to sloppy footwork have started to come down a lot.
    Few but ripe.

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    I was talking with someone who said they play tennis in theirs all the time (tore up a weak pair -- bought a sturdier type and loves them on the court).

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    I'm by no means spectacular, but I do play tennis now and again. I've been playing since childhood, never competitively, but it's a great sport to be able to go out and enjoy. I'd definitely like to work on my game more and improve so that games are more fun, but probably not compete.

(The sport I've never played in any organized fashion, but really want to compete in is hockey!)
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I play several times a month with 3 other wild women; we take gossip and margaritas more seriously than the game.
    This month I've stayed away from alcohol and horrible sugar mix and had delish green tea with lime with me.
    It was great and I played much better, kicked ass actually. Next week I'm wearing the five fingers.

Some of my best teenage memories are summer nights at the rec center; playing tennis and kissing my boyfriend

thomas.dri is offline Junior Member
    hi!!! I play tennis too!!! 4 or 5 times a week with tournament (single and team).
    I like paleo and like playing in IF and my performances are getting better and better (I was quite happy of them before, but now in third sets I run like the first!!!).
    I would like to know how you recover when you have a tough match (and win!!!) and then the next day a thougher one...what do u eat at the end to recover and to reestablish the glycogen store of the muscle for the next day?
    Thank a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    I play twice or thrice a week. I play in a singles league at a local club. I love the game. I went primal partly to improve my fitness so that i could get better at the game.

I am definitely better from a fitness point of view. I can hold out for three sets of fairly intensive singles reasonably well. UEs previously attributed to sloppy footwork have started to come down a lot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast