Thread: Reducing salt content of canned foods page

TigerJ is offline Senior Member

Canned Alaskan salmon is one of the best foods.

- Nutrient dense, great protein and bones too

- Natural Omega 3s

- Wild animal (my view all wild animals superior to their lazy domesticated cousins)

- Cheap

- Fast (open and eat)

EXCEPT the salt is just too high, especially when the palate is becoming more and more sensitive to false tastes.

One can (TJs/Whole Foods same info here) about 15 oz, 'about 7 servings' the can says for 630 calories; total for can is about 84gr protein and 60gr fat but with 270 mg salt per serving = almost 1900mg per can.

I had a can yesterday and today feel like I swallowed a cup of sea-water.

Today I am going to try a rinsing experiment. I have one can soaking in room temp water which I will then change midway through the day; and another can soaking in warm/hot water, also will change.

Hopefully the canned fish will not turn to mush but I thought a rinse of a few minutes would not do much.

Does anyone have any thoughts on reducing the salt this way? Yes I could just buy fresh salmon (but that's $15-20 per pound instead of $2 for canned) and sometimes having foods you can open and eat is good. I will look for low salt versions the next time shopping but to my recollection these are more common with tuna and sardines than salmon.

Anyone have any comments or ideas here? Or have enough chemistry knowledge to say whether the salt that's been cooked in the fish will dissolve in the soaking water enough to make a real difference?

Thanks.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

This is one of my pet-peeves about canned foods. They'll brag about organic ingredients, but then they screw it up by adding a ton of salt. I don't want the friggin' salt! I can add it myself if I want it, thank-you very much.

So for those interested I carried out this experiment.

Two different cans of Alaskan salmon, 1 soaked in cold water and 1 in warm/hot; changed water 3 times over course of several hours.

I have no idea how much salt was removed, but think doing this at least some of it out. No noticeable difference between the two water temps, but the fish in warm water disintegrated less. Don't see any advantage to longer soaking, but I will definitely do this from now on. Just takes a little planning ahead.

Tarlach is offline Member

We try to buy good quality tinned fish with a low salt content. The salmon we buy has 58mg per 100g (49mg a serve).

It's much easier when you start with a sensible salt content in the can. I just wish we could get guaranteed wild caught salmon with the same low salt content.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Yes I will be sure to look for the low sodium cans next time shopping. But to my recollection these were more common with tuna which has higher mercury, and less fat than salmon. And $2 or so for 15 oz can wild alaskan salmon is just great for a snack or breakfast food when you take out the salt.

What brand is that? That's pretty good compared to the 270mg in this one.

Tarlach, really thanks so much for all your informative posts. People who are starting out, check out what this guy has to say. A month ago I never would have thought about salt but now really noticing it. Tarlach has 'been there, done that' for years already.

Tarlach is offline Member

Sorry, but I'm in Australia and our local Woolworths brand won't correlate with anything you have available!

Thanks for the kind words. Mostly I just annoy people because I'm too far removed from where they currently are. It's easy to say don't eat any salt, dairy, sugar, nightshades, etc if you have gone without it for years and experienced the benefits.

Not so easy if you only started last month

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Tarlach b/c of you Im going to try an nightshade elimination. I do love mah veggies so I really couldnt give those up but heck as long as they arent HURTING me Im okay with that! Also everytime I think of you now I think of pork belly. Ya know, because we love it.

OP TigerJ I have done his too, its works for me!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!