Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sainsbury's on the Paleo Bandwagon? page

pjgh is offline Senior Member

Sainsbury's on the Paleo Bandwagon?

Shop Now
    Sainsbury's is a UK supermarket who produce a monthly food and lifestyle magazine. It is seasonally focussed and has lots of nice pictures of food which often gives me good ideas, then my Mrs grabs it for all the lifestyle stuff.

Anyway ... May edition ... page 133 ...

Beef Paleonaise

Paleo what?

Double take ...

Oh, Beef Bolognaise, paleo-style! Wow!

Basically, and not wanting to fall foul of copyright laws I won't photograph it, but it's your favourite Bolognaise recipe - beef mince, onion, garlic, mushroom over ribbons of carrot and courgette.

Best of all, it is billed as a "Healthier, Paleo version of Spaghetti Bolognaise ..." ... healthier! If anyone reads that closely, they'll be intrigued as to why this is healthier.

Well done, Sainsbury!

Baloo is offline Senior Member
    I might check it out next time I'm in Sainsburys

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Well it's something when it goes mainstream like this, to be fair Sainsburys do try to stay ahead of the curve, they had organic a long time before anyone else.......so when do they start selling grass fed beef?
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Cool!

I've noticed that quite a few recipes in the free weekly Waitrose newspaper are suitable for primal meals, though some do contain dairy. Also Nigel Slater cooks quite a lot of paleo-style dishes (often including dairy).

I'd say it's pretty mainstream knowledge now that excess carbs are bad for you.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post

Paleo what?
    Interesting find.

I have a pretty profound dislike of supermarkets, but that aside, you've quite a find there. I think it had to be coming. One interesting trend to watch is this one:

Google Trends: paleo diet, vegan diet

When it comes down to it, what does a "vegan" diet consist in but taking the worst aspects of the "standard" diet and exaggerating them? (OK some of these people will prepare food from fresh and will dabble in lactic ferments and so on, but basically ... ). So, not surprisingly, while vegetarianism/veganism made big promises, in practice it fails people. In terms of internet interest it has more-or-less straight-lined. And in time, doubtless, interest will start to drop. Paleo, however, is climbing consistently.

You want to make money -- and that above all is what supermarkets wish to do -- you have to listen to these trends to some extent.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Did they promote a pasta substitute or miss it all together? Ive noticed sainsburys does the better gluten free range than tesco, but its still full of sugar lol
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    Did they promote a pasta substitute or miss it all together? Ive noticed sainsburys does the better gluten free range than tesco, but its still full of sugar lol
    Every now and again I check out the gluten-free range but there's never anything worth buying. All the rice products are wholegrain, and soya and corn are common ingredients.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    Their "Free From" section has some organic tortilla chips that are imported from Holland.

What's specially to the point is that they're fried in palm oil. That's not perhaps the best choice from the standpoint of ecology -- some plantations of palm fruit are grow on cleared virgin forest -- but it's a hell of a lot safer than the vegetable oils most tortilla chips are fried in. The high heat and pressure those are extracted under make them rancid before they even leave the factory and cause trans fats to be occur in them. Yep, you don't have to buy deliberately cross-linked vegetable fat to get trans fats: vegetable oils will do. And those trans fats are frightening: they stick to enzymes that are meant to deal with naturally occurring fat molecules, and then can't let go, because the trans fats are the wrong shape (not being naturally occurring). They're stuck in there for good, and you have to wait for apoptosis (programmed cell death), which takes around two years to shift them. (This is probably one reason why people have "weight-loss plateaux".)

I'd say that a moderate handful of those would be OK with chilli con carne.

It's an interesting mark of how clued up the Dutch makers are: they know that people looking for goods of that sort and paying a premium for organic are going to balk at vegetable oil. People who don't know will just buy the Doritos anyway.

I know someone who scoffs this type of crap -- doritos, crisps, etc. She's actually thin, but has a thick fat-pad under her chin. That's one of the places where you shouldn't have excess fat. Bad sign.

ragwort is offline Senior Member
    The Sainsbury magazine article (yes it was a whole article on Paleo) I though was genuinely a move forward. The meats mentioned were lowish fat but it did talk about the use of olive oil & coconut oil in preference to PUFA's etc. On a brighter note Mark's website was give as a useful reference point! I was quite impressed. I will probably write to them and say how helpful it was so they get some positive feedback.

And to rockstareddy, they served the Beef Paleonaise on strips of courgette and carrots. Nice.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    The article was pretty much straight down the line paleo and not an advert for gluten-free products - simply, presenting good, tasty paleo food and a bunch of useful ways you can eat at lunchtime from places like supermarkets. Real food.

I have been in touch with the magazine to thank them. The magazine is produced by a media company and little really to do with Sainsbury's ... so, I have been in touch with Sainsbury themselves (again) pointing them to this forum and showing them what a huge following ancestral eating has.

"Perhaps Sainsbury would like to ride the crest of a new wave for supermarkets, providing certified grass fed meat, certified outdoor and naturally raised chicken, organic vegetables which have been grown seasonally; maybe call the range 'Close to the Ground', appealing to all manner of people who appreciate pure and real food" ... we'll see.

Funnily enough, when I paleofied Spag Bol (as we Brits call it), I called it Spaghetti Paleonese, in reference to Paleo, rather than Bologna. My spaghetti was courgette juliennes: living in the ice age: Spaghetti Paleonese (AKA "Spag Bol")

The snippet 'Too Tough?' pointing to primal as a slightly less dogmatic lifestyle template was interesting. Personally, I think most "paleo" eaters are actually "primal" eaters and the quite widespread re-acceptance of dairy would seem to bring ancestral eating much closer to simply "eating real food", but with attitude. Damn it! I missed an opportunity to chew Sainsbury's ear off again about raw dairy ...

Encouraging, anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast