Thread: Magnesium and hypoglycemia page

EvansMom is offline Senior Member

Magnesium and hypoglycemia

Primal Fuel
    Okay so I have reactive hypoglycemia. Gotten better since primal, but still nowhere near the point of being able to fast or skip a meal (down to 3 a day at least) or I get symptoms.

Have tried to implement magnesium citrate supplementation several times. At first I thought it triggered actual anxiety in me, but now I realize what is happening is that it triggers my reactive hypoglycemia symptoms (anger, temper issues, bad mood, depression, anxiety, YIKES!) to the point where I have to have food in my stomach all day or I am cranky & nervous & shaky. Then when I get food I am soooo tired.

Taking it at bedtime causes me to wake at 4 am with hunger & reactive hypo symptoms that will not allow me to go back to sleep unless I eat. Very disrupting.

Yet every doctor, advice person, paleo/primal website, GI doctor, psychiatrist, etc. tells me to take magnesium. They say "oh and take some magnesium, everyone needs that."

What gives? Anyone else have this problem???

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Magnesium helps to reduce insulin resistance which would result in blood glucose dropping rapidly. I would stop the magnesium supplement and then if you want to resume ease into with gradually. Topical application of magnesium might work better for you initially - look for magnesium oil.
    Last edited by Linny; 04-10-2012 at 05:58 PM.