Thread: Would you recommend IF'ing to a teen? page

Whatyoudoing is offline Member

Would you recommend IF'ing to a teen?

Shop Now
    I just broke my 24 hr fast. Not for the sake of health but I did it with a friend for fun. It wasn't very hard. Shall I do this like once a week or would that be unhealthy?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Wouldn't be unhealthy unless it becomes some sort of psychological issue. Tis fine to give the gut a break once in a while. Being an ex-wrestler I would go 72+ hours without food regularly as a teen.....THAT was taking things too far and unhealthy IMO.

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Being an ex-wrestler I would go 72+ hours without food regularly as a teen.....THAT was taking things too far and unhealthy IMO.
    Reminds me of the times during my wrestling days that my coach would advise eating only white rice and oatmeal several days before we had to make weight. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense from my current understanding.

Looking back it's amazing what they put us through from a liability standpoint. We were all tougher for it, but think back on wearing trash bags in the sauna, bans on drinking anything, and spitting into a cup all day. I wonder if they still have the kids doing this, or if things have gotten too litigious.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I would recommend it to a teen but I wouldn't call it intermittent fasting. I would just tell them that it's pretty normal to not want to eat breakfast and make sure that teen had access to something healthy to eat when hunger did arrive, whether that happened during school hours or later.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPrimate View Post
    Reminds me of the times during my wrestling days that my coach would advise eating only white rice and oatmeal several days before we had to make weight. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense from my current understanding.

Looking back it's amazing what they put us through from a liability standpoint. We were all tougher for it, but think back on wearing trash bags in the sauna, bans on drinking anything, and spitting into a cup all day. I wonder if they still have the kids doing this, or if things have gotten too litigious.
    No doubt...amazing what use to pass as OK. I will say that in my sophomore year of college they started doing body fat assessments and designating the lowest weight class you would be allowed to compete at based on that. Dunno if that was just my coach or if it was a new NCAA rule at that time.