Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: carbs and fats combined? page

outdoorgirl is offline Junior Member

carbs and fats combined?

Shop Now
    I keep hearing it's bad to eat fats and carbs in the same meal because it causes the fat to be stored. I've tried searching on here but I can't seem to find much for an answer. I was wondering if anyone knew if it's true. I know it's bad if you're eating average American high carb/high fat meals but I wasn't sure about lower carb/high fat primal meals. For example eating eggs and fruit together or fruit and nuts together. Thanks in advance!

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    hey outdoor girl,

when you say "you keep hearing" do you mean on the PB site in the forum conversations or are you hearing it elsewhere? Because if it's in PB forum, I suspect people are discussing very particular times in their exertion/exercise schedule or they are discussing very particular volumes of food.

I'd suggest going back to the Primal Blueprint book and read the theories discussed it in specific to insulin and fats. It's all about ratios would be the way I'd describe it--ie, if you're talking a whole grapefruit, 2 bananas and some pineapple and 1 egg, yes, I'd say that's weighted the wrong way. (some have posted eating this way, I was just using it to describe an exaggerated balance of sweets to fats)

peril is offline Senior Member
    I combine the two and maintain a BMI right in the mid-range of normal
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Actually its best to add fats to your carby meals to blunt the insulin spikes and provide needed fat for better assimilation of some nutrients. I see no issues with combining.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    I have no issues eating Carbs and fats. Macros cAn be dialed to get a specific response but for the average person it makes little difference .
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

outdoorgirl is offline Junior Member
    Ok thank you everyone! And I meant I keep hearing about the fat/carb combination debate outside of PB so I wanted to know what the PB view on the issue was.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with eating carbs and fat together. The problem might be more along the lines of:

The foods that combine carbs and fat are so yummy that you tend to overeat them, especially if they are savory and sweet at the same time.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with eating carbs and fat together. The problem might be more along the lines of:

The foods that combine carbs and fat are so yummy that you tend to overeat them, especially if they are savory and sweet at the same time.
    This and where the carb and fat content is coming from. A fatty cut of meat and a bowl of cherries isn't the same as a cake baked with wheat, tons of sugar, and veggie oil.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I've been reading around adrenal support and the recommendation in several places is that it is best to combine your carbs/fats/proteins in the same meal and in equal proportions. If your adrenals are fine the proportions are probably not so crucial.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorgirl View Post
    I keep hearing it's bad to eat fats and carbs in the same meal because it causes the fat to be stored.
    Absolutely zero truth to this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast