Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any girls stuck at the last 10-20 pounds? page

camel is offline Senior Member

Any girls stuck at the last 10-20 pounds?

Primal Fuel
    So I had been hovering at about 10 pounds above my goal weight for a long time. (My goal weight is *just* inside of "normal" according to BMI charts, so its not a super lean goal. I'm 5'7" female and 163 pounds, big feet, curvy, size 8-10) (2 years ago was 196 pounds)

For months I have been losing maybe 1/4 pound a week. Not horrible, but frustrating! However, I have recently tried a weekly cycle of VLC, high carb and fasting. I lost 2 pounds per week the last two weeks!I'm so excited, these are the most stubborn pounds!! I had to share:

Day one: under 20 carbs and fair calorie deficit (meat, eggs, fat, nonstarchy veggies)
    Day two: under 20 carbs and fair calorie deficit (meat, eggs, fat, nonstarchy veggies)
    Day three: practically zero carb - meat, fat, eggs only, big calorie deficit
    Day four: fast until dinner (24 hour fast from last nights dinner), a fasted workout this day, a satisfying dinner.
    Day five: 100-150 carbs and maintenance calories, or just above maintenance.
    Day six: 50-100 carbs, just under maintenance calories
    Day seven: 50-100 carbs, just under maintenance calories (I usually have a long walk on this day)

And then I repeat.
    I also try not to snack between meals or after dinner.
    I tried this after reading about the benefits of fasting, but that it is better to fast if you already are fat adapted and so the low and zero carb days help your body get more benefit and muscle protection going into the fast.

I'm into week three of this, so will report how I do after week three! Anyone else doing something simillar, or want to try this with me?

Edited to add: I forgot to mention, that normally when I am losing a lot I get very cold. This past couple of weeks I have been like a furnace! Especially on the higher carb days. So I take that as a good sign that my metabolism is revved up eating this way!
    Last edited by camel; 04-10-2012 at 03:04 PM.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I do something similar, really seems to work. 3-4 days of zero carbs, 1 normal day then 2-3 days of high cals. Works like a charm. Google the Atkins Fat Fast- its 1,000 calories which may be too low for your height. Whole point is to eat 75-90% fat- I use a stick of butter which is 800 calories then add protein like fish. I put the butter on green vegetables. Hth.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Are you kidding? I think half the board, male and female, is stuck on "the last 10-20 pounds". The last few % body fat is the most stubborn for the vast majority of people no matter what diet or exercise plan you follow.

EDIT: And yeah, a lot of people are having success with carb cycling to break through the plateau. Look up ChocoTaco's posts if you want a long rundown and lots of discussion on it.
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 04-10-2012 at 10:03 AM.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

camel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Are you kidding? I think half the board, male and female, is stuck on "the last 10-20 pounds". The last few % body fat is the most stubborn for the vast majority of people no matter what diet or exercise plan you follow.
    Super! Then at least a few people might find my discovery helpful!

alphamango is offline Junior Member
    I've been thinking of doing some carb-cycling. I am trying to bulk up without putting on too much fat.
    I'll probably just start with a basic cycle of high carbs on workout days. Moderate carbs on post-workout days. All other days will lowish carbs and calories.
    “It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.” — Seneca

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for the post. I'm 17-ish pounds away from normal BMI and like you losing on average 1/4 lb per week. I will have to give this technique a try.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Ditch the scale and let your clothes tell you whether the fat is gone or not.

Have a little patience. As a woman, where you are in your cycle can affect weight & water retention. Give it at least one full cycle. Alot of people say it takes 6 weeks or so to see/feel a dramatic difference.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I tried carb cycling via the Ultimate Diet plan, and lost the weight I was trying to lose, but spiraled down into the depression and binging right after and regained everything. I am going to try the 1 g per lb body fat on lifting days and 0.5 g g of carb on non-lifting days. I do horrible on the VLC. It is so odd. On one hand, I feel like I would do absolutely anything to lose 15 lbs, and then the evening comes, and I just go nuts eating fruit and honey (and if I am depressed enough other sugars). (Shrug) I'd give a lot to learn to feel good on low calories and low carbs, but I couldn't keep it up so far. And every time I drop the ball, it is soooo hard to have a low carb day again. I am fighting to do 120 g carbs today (training) and 60 g carbs tomorrow. Maybe I should try zero carb, maybe not touching carbs at all is easier than restricting carbs the way it is easier to fast than to eat low cal. Not that fasting is easy for me either. This whole hate food-love food is infuriating.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    So I had been hovering at about 10 pounds above my goal weight for a long time. (My goal weight is *just* inside of "normal" according to BMI charts, so its not a super lean goal. I'm 5'7" and 163 pounds, big feet, curvy, size 8-10) (2 years ago was 196 pounds)

For months I have been losing maybe 1/4 pound a week. Not horrible, but frustrating! However, I have recently tried a weekly cycle of VLC, high carb and fasting. I lost 2 pounds per week the last two weeks! I'm so excited, these are the most stubborn pounds!! I had to share:

Day one: under 20 carbs and fair calorie deficit (meat, eggs, fat, nonstarchy veggies)
    Day two: under 20 carbs and fair calorie deficit (meat, eggs, fat, nonstarchy veggies)
    Day three: practically zero carb - meat, fat, eggs only, big calorie deficit
    Day four: fast until dinner (24 hour fast from last nights dinner), a fasted workout this day, a satisfying dinner.
    Day five: 100-150 carbs and maintenance calories, or just above maintenance.
    Day six: 50-100 carbs, just under maintenance calories
    Day seven: 50-100 carbs, just under maintenance calories (I usually have a long walk on this day)

And then I repeat.
    I also try not to snack between meals or after dinner.
    I tried this after reading about the benefits of fasting, but that it is better to fast if you already are fat adapted and so the low and zero carb days help your body get more benefit and muscle protection going into the fast.

I'm into week three of this, so will report how I do after week three! Anyone else doing something simillar, or want to try this with me?

Edited to add: I forgot to mention, that normally when I am losing a lot I get very cold. This past couple of weeks I have been like a furnace! Especially on the higher carb days. So I take that as a good sign that my metabolism is revved up eating this way!
    Very interesting. I've never really done a low carb version of primal at all....but I would love to lose 15 more lbs. Maybe this would be a good start. I'll be following along to see how you do
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

LolaLola is offline Member
    Really interesting Camel. Thanks for the post.

I am just inside normal BMI having lost 14lbs since I started eating primally. I would love to lose another 7lbs but it is very slow now. I eat relatively low-carb as I have found even prior to following the PB that low-carb suits me. Now I'm wondering about following your carb-cycling plan.

Keep us updated please!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast