Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight =/= health page

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member

Weight =/= health

I've been gone awhile, but I'm a little shocked at what I'm seeing all over the boards - this idea that you can judge someone's health on their weight alone. Weight is only one marker of health, & while I agree it's nearly impossible to be healthy when you're obese, it's also easy to be unhealthy when one's BMI is in the correct range.

The whole idea of the Primal Blueprint is to achieve optimum health, through ten different aspects of life. I know a lot of people come to primal/paleo because of weight issues, but there's so much more to it! Why is everyone boiling health down to weight alone?
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I'm underweight due to some mistakes I made a few years ago. The board automatically assumes I'm a skinny fat anorexic. Eh, most people on here are just learning paleo, don't pay attention to them.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutsaffron View Post
    I've Weight is only one marker of health
    +1

The whole idea of the Primal Blueprint is to achieve optimum health
    +2

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Fierce... I think people think you are anorexic notsomuch because of your size or even your diet- but things like saying you are uncomfortable being around fat people like Kim Kardashian. You have some pretty strange views that don't equal the viewpoint of a normal slender person with a healthy body image.

Anyhow, I agree- it does seem like a lot of posts are about weight loss (and sometimes I think in the name of weightloss people skew to some unhealthy eating patterns). However, a lot of other people seem to focus on other aspects. I think everyone realizes that Primal is good for overall health and wellness, even if they came to the lifestyle to lose weight. The weight loss kind of sucks you in, the improved health keeps you around.

I also think weight is the easiest marker of health to see- and here it does seem like much of the success is more based on body appearance- lean with muscles vs. numbers dropping. It's hard to illustrate changes in say, energy and not everyone has access to lab tests etc.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Fierce... You have some pretty strange views that don't equal the viewpoint of a normal slender person with a healthy body image.
    +300.

OP, i think that while weight does not equal health, being overweight almost always indicates a health problem. it's the inverse, however, that's not true - being at a 'healthy' weight or 'normal' BMI does not equal good health.

camel is offline Senior Member
    Why is everyone boiling health down to weight alone?
    Why does everyone always exaggerate

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I agree with you, aboutsaffron.

PB does not recommend low-calorie dieting - the intention is to promote optimal health and energy levels, so that excess fat will drop off slowly and naturally, without the suppression in BMR that low-calorie dieting is famous for causing. It's a plan aimed at helping people get stronger and healthier, for life.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I agree with you, aboutsaffron.

PB does not recommend low-calorie dieting - the intention is to promote optimal health and energy levels, so that excess fat will drop off slowly and naturally, without the suppression in BMR that low-calorie dieting is famous for causing. It's a plan aimed at helping people get stronger and healthier, for life.
    well, there is a weightloss chapter which says you need to be in caloric deficit. it doesn't reconcile perfectly with the carb curve, either. a lovely contradiction, but at least mark recognizes that calories count for weightloss.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    well, there is a weightloss chapter which says you need to be in caloric deficit. it doesn't reconcile perfectly with the carb curve, either. a lovely contradiction, but at least mark recognizes that calories count for weightloss.
    Yes he admits that calories count. That's not the same as recommending low-calorie, rapid-weightloss dieting.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I shouldn't comment but we all know fat is the norm in the States. I'm not so much uncomfortable but fed up with the blatant ignorance.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast