Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Dental X-Rays & Brain Tumors page

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member

Article: Dental X-Rays & Brain Tumors

Primal Fuel
    Yearly dental X-rays raise brain tumor risk, study finds - HealthPop - CBS News

For the study, Claus and her colleagues studied more than 1,400 patients between the ages of 20 and 79 who had been diagnosed with the meningioma, and compared them to a group of 1,350 healthy controls between the same ages. Compared with control subjects, patients with a brain tumor were twice as likely to say they had a specific type of dental X-ray called a "bitewing exam." A bitewing X-ray shows details of the upper and lower teeth to detect decay between teeth and bone density changes caused by gum disease, according to WebMD.

Overall, patients who reported having yearly bitewing exams were up to two times more likely to develop meningioma. Patients who reported having another type of dental X-ray called a panorex - which provides a panoramic broad view of the teeth, sinuses and jaw - were almost five times more likely to develop a meningioma, compared to controls. Those who got that exam yearly had an overall risk three times greater to develop the tumor.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    And what's the percentage of tumors without any exams?

Pigevil is offline Member
    Why are people having yearly X-Rays?
    If there is no tooth pain or other symptoms, why getting X-rays?

Lapin is offline Member
    Every dentist I've been to has taken yearly x-rays. I've started to put my foot down, insisting that it is unnecessary, but the push back is amazing. They are adamant that x-rays need to be done and that the machines they use are safe.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. I was wondering if the effects of x-rays are cumulative. If you think about it, when the dentist does the x-ray he/she leaves the room. Presumably they would say that if they are doing x-rays every day they need to protect themselves. But what about when we have a dental x-ray, a mammogram and then get x-rayed at the airport. All of these could be regular events leading to several x-rays a year. Over a lifetime that is a lot of radiation.

Martha is offline Senior Member
    I've pretty much decided that I am done with x-rays. I will not go through airport full-body scanners, opting instead for a manual pat down. At 60+, I think I've had way too much artificial radiation beamed at me already. If TSA is not embarrassed to pat down a little old lady, I'm not embarrassed to endure it. And my dentist works for me, not the other way around. Any doctor who will not accommodate a patient's deeply felt objections to any particular treatment mode should be replaced, quickly. Unfortunately, too many doctors today practice anti-malpractice medicine, not *actual* medicine.

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Oh wtf?! I just had 18 x rays done a couple of weeks ago. It's a new dentist and she insisted on them being done and that the radiation was minimal ("harmless" was the word she used). Like I need another risk factor for cancer when it already runs rampant in my family. Doctors piss me off sometimes.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigevil View Post
    Why are people having yearly X-Rays?
    If there is no tooth pain or other symptoms, why getting X-rays?
    developing cavities dont cause any tooth pain

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post
    developing cavities dont cause any tooth pain
    They can also be spotted visually by a competent dentist AFAIK--aren't X-rays for checking stuff that's NOT visible to the eye?
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I hadn't been to a dentist in 7 years and declined when he wanted x-rays. He got a bit flustered when I explained that I did not think there was any good reason for an x-ray. But, you could have an abcess or a tumor or a....no pain, no symptoms of ill health whatsoever....blah, blah, blah....so melodramatic...... I still declined. I got my teath "cleaned" told I had some plaque build up, but no cavities. I told them to schedule me for 10 years out next time. :P
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-12-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast